My Stock 5.3 Wit 140k Miles

the 5.7 LS1 in z28's and formula's make like 305-310hp, and like 320-325hp in the SS and trans-am?... the corvettes were rated at 345 if i recall correctly?... and the gto's were rated at 350hp which this site ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_LS_engine#LS1 ) say's that they all produced about 350hp/365tq now even if thats true (which could'nt be correct due to all the slight variations between different years and models) the LQ9 is still equal in HP and higher on TQ.

so why would the 5.7 produce more rwhp then th 6.0?. i'm just curious because more cubes usualy means more power potential?.

thanks.

The LS1 5.7 in the Vette was rated at 350HP..............don't forget Camaros, Vettes, etc. are much lighter and have different gearing, not to mention a smaller diameter rim/tire so they will make more power to the wheels. :chevy:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its all about drivetrain loss. Just because a 350hp LS1 makes 300rwhp in a camaro, doesnt mean it will make that in a truck with a longer heavier driveshaft, heavier wheels, or awd. The ONLY way I would recommend stuffing an LS1 over an LQ9 in a truck would be if you changed the camshaft. A stock LS1 will not motivate a heavy truck when compared to a stock LQ9 due to the difference in torque and power curves. If you take a LQ9 and an LS1 and add the same heads/cam package and change the LQ9 intake to a LS6 style intake, you will be within 5-10hp of each other on the dyno. Trickflow makes a nice power package with heads and cam that produces from 485hp-515hp on a bone stock LS1 with LS6 intake. It would make almost the same power in a LQ9. The only difference would be the weight of the LS1 block.

Its all about drivetrain loss. Just because a 350hp LS1 makes 300rwhp in a camaro, doesnt mean it will make that in a truck with a longer heavier driveshaft, heavier wheels, or awd. The ONLY way I would recommend stuffing an LS1 over an LQ9 in a truck would be if you changed the camshaft. A stock LS1 will not motivate a heavy truck when compared to a stock LQ9 due to the difference in torque and power curves. If you take a LQ9 and an LS1 and add the same heads/cam package and change the LQ9 intake to a LS6 style intake, you will be within 5-10hp of each other on the dyno. Trickflow makes a nice power package with heads and cam that produces from 485hp-515hp on a bone stock LS1 with LS6 intake. It would make almost the same power in a LQ9. The only difference would be the weight of the LS1 block.

BS....you know who TXsilverado is...ask him runs low 12s in an ext cab on bolt ons and a ls1

the 5.7 LS1 in z28's and formula's make like 305-310hp, and like 320-325hp in the SS and trans-am?... the corvettes were rated at 345 if i recall correctly?... and the gto's were rated at 350hp which this site ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_LS_engine#LS1 ) say's that they all produced about 350hp/365tq now even if thats true (which could'nt be correct due to all the slight variations between different years and models) the LQ9 is still equal in HP and higher on TQ.

so why would the 5.7 produce more rwhp then th 6.0?. i'm just curious because more cubes usualy means more power potential?.

thanks.

you need to do more reading thats all I will say...Im not gonna take all the experience from the last 9 years of working on LS1s and sit here for a day and type all the reasons.

The LS1 5.7 in the Vette was rated at 350HP..............don't forget Camaros, Vettes, etc. are much lighter and have different gearing, not to mention a smaller diameter rim/tire so they will make more power to the wheels. :chevy:

Dan I have based my information off of the 2 engines in a single cab which is what I think we are talking about here.

you also have to remeber that the LS1 (01-02) was under rated in power, oh and another difference between LS1 & LQ9 is the LS1 doesnt have a 4.000" bore like the LQ9 does, if i remeber correctly. but there is tons of info on these engines already just google it :)

Dan I have based my information off of the 2 engines in a single cab which is what I think we are talking about here.

I was just answering a question that was asked Danny.........

thats what i was thinking. everything being equal more cubes should make more power.

BS....you know who TXsilverado is...ask him runs low 12s in an ext cab on bolt ons and a ls1

you need to do more reading thats all I will say...Im not gonna take all the experience from the last 9 years of working on LS1s and sit here for a day and type all the reasons.

i'm not trying to start an argument so please keep this a freindly debate.. i would just like to know how an engine that ran stock 13.5's in a 3400lb camaro mid to hig 12's with bolt ons run low 12's in a 4400lb truck, also just so were on the same page, bolt on's are, cai, headers, catback, t-stat, tune, pulleys, and maybe intakes, but rockers, cams, are'nt considered bolt on's being that you would be chaging the engines internal components.

so all i'm saying sprayed, is that if your going to advise someone that one engine is better then another, then you should be willing to state why it is and not just say you don't need to explain yourself?.

heck i was thinking about getting a rcsb in the near future to do a LQ9 swap into, if you can explain how the LS1 is going to make more power (remember were talking equally modded), then i may look for LS1 instead

thats what i was thinking. everything being equal more cubes should make more power.

i'm not trying to start an argument so please keep this a freindly debate.. i would just like to know how an engine that ran stock 13.5's in a 3400lb camaro mid to hig 12's with bolt ons run low 12's in a 4400lb truck, also just so were on the same page, bolt on's are, cai, headers, catback, t-stat, tune, pulleys, and maybe intakes, but rockers, cams, are'nt considered bolt on's being that you would be chaging the engines internal components.

so all i'm saying sprayed, is that if your going to advise someone that one engine is better then another, then you should be willing to state why it is and not just say you don't need to explain yourself?.

heck i was thinking about getting a rcsb in the near future to do a LQ9 swap into, if you can explain how the LS1 is going to make more power (remember were talking equally modded), then i may look for LS1 instead

if you really think about it everything is considered bolt-ons these days :chevy: i dont know about you but every 01-02 M6 camaro i have seen run high 12's to low13's in the 1/4 mile stock. with cam/LTs/CAI/tune they run 11's

LOL the previous owner of my camaro (cam, headers, exhaust. lid. and tune) ran 11.9 so I dont know where you get your figures. My cousins bone stock no tune no nothing runs 12.9. I'm not arguing nor am I pissed or upset...take it for what it is a typed message over the internet with no voice behind it. I'm just telling him the LS1 would be a better choice because of its proven results in the pick ups. I'm not gonna go comb through the last 4 years in over 7 forums and find links....He can do his own research. Sorry forgot Stewart's truck does have a cam but that is the only internal mod. I want to see a cammed VHO run 12.1 you wont find it.

I tell you what bring me a single cab with a LQ9 in it and run it here....I have a 2002 LS1 here on a stand and I will swap it out and we will see which produces better times.

OH and BTW the 2 camaros above are both M6 cars

Edited by sprayed99 (see edit history)

if you really think about it everything is considered bolt-ons these days :chevy: i dont know about you but every 01-02 M6 camaro i have seen run high 12's to low13's in the 1/4 mile stock. with cam/LTs/CAI/tune they run 11's

so the 01-02 with ls6 intake, and M6 run a few tick's faster then the LS1's i remember, but were talking trucks with auto's... so i think i'm still pretty close when comparing apples to apples, unless the auto camaros are running the same as the M6's?. so they must run mid to low 13's right?.

LOL the previous owner of my camaro (cam, headers, exhaust. lid. and tune) ran 11.9 so I dont know where you get your figures. My cousins bone stock no tune no nothing runs 12.9. I'm not arguing nor am I pissed or upset...take it for what it is a typed message over the internet with no voice behind it. I'm just telling him the LS1 would be a better choice because of its proven results in the pick ups. I'm not gonna go comb through the last 4 years in over 7 forums and find links....He can do his own research. Sorry forgot Stewart's truck does have a cam but that is the only internal mod. I want to see a cammed VHO run 12.1 you wont find it.

I tell you what bring me a single cab with a LQ9 in it and run it here....I have a 2002 LS1 here on a stand and I will swap it out and we will see which produces better times.

OH and BTW the 2 camaros above are both M6 cars

well i think i'm safe in saying that there is much less loss of rwhp through a manual trans. and from what everyone say's a cam would get you somewhere between 35-65hp depending on the grind.

so if were talking full bolt ons, cam and slicks on a rcsb (remember vho's are all xcsb's) your looking at about 450hp on a LS1 which is easily done to a LQ9. has anyone you know of run an LQ9 with an ls6 intake cam and full bolt on's in a rcsb?... because i think then we would know for sure. otherwise it's all speculative.

also we had a little miscomunication on the bolt on thing, i guess some people consider a cam a bolt on?... i don't, but everyone is entitled to there oppinion on that one.

In fact here ya go. just one example

http://performancetrucks.net/forums/showthread.php?t=410482

that is bad ass :thumbs: but i still don't see why a LQ9 would'nt do the same built exactly to the specs of that LS1?.

that is bad ass but i still don't see why a LQ9 would'nt do the same built exactly to the specs of that LS1?.

It is bad a$$ and kudos to that guy, hell of alot faster than me with a blower. To answer your question, you can get the same results...

Funny thing about that thread link...the guy has HEADS and CAM. I cant bite my tongue. This is just insane. Not even 4-5 posts below in that link, there is a guy with a CAM ONLY 6.0L running mid 12's in ext cab. So...the LS1 is so superior? 12.1-12.4 and the only difference is the tuner and heads? Hmmm...I can get .3sec out a good set of heads...HP is HP. 500hp in an LS1 and 500hp in an LQ9 is 500hp. The only difference and arguement between an LS1 and LQ9 block is the car/LSx style intake and the truck intake. Thats it. Compression is near equal, bore and stroke is slightly different, but negligible. Put the same cam and heads in an LS1 and then put them in an LQ9 and I bet my truck that you will be far less than 20-30 peak hp apart. We are splitting hairs here. I should give that guy in that pt.net post a set of heads and help him change them, get his tuner to dial it and see if he runs a 12.1 also. The point is this...cost. You can find a 6.0L truck engine for ALOT cheaper than an LS1, anybody who can search ebay or a local junk yard would know that.

Final case in point. Its funny how you can get about the same results from an iron block 408 as an all aluminum lsx408 with the same heads and cam combos, please do tell me why that is?

And lastly, you are probably taking great offense to this and I will get another BS pm and quite frankly I dont care. I know you have done quite a bit for a few members here, but stop leg humping the LS1 and acting like we know nothing and you know everything.

Edited by Black2003SS (see edit history)