Ls1 Hotcam

I'm thinking about putting a ls1 hotcam in my motor. First of, I don't know if will fit, second how much hp will I gain. The only mod's I have so far are a k+n intake, Magnaflow exhaust, and a gianelli mass airflow sensor. Has anyone done a stock dyno on a 03 SSS?

Any info or insight would be appreciated.

The only install that would relate close at all was in Car Craft last year, when they put a Hot Cam in an LQ4. They also had a carb style intake and headers, but they made 480 HP with that combination. With the stock intake, I would imagine losing a few HP, but the TQ should be nice.

...and they had the older LQ4 with iron heads too! They speculated that 500+ would be possible with a port job, let alone using aluminum 317 heads from the later LQ4/LQ9's!!!

imagine that with the l92 style heads and carb intake uhm I think I'm in the right direction..... :devil:

with any cam you are gonne need the computer reprogrammed,and probably in person not through the mail,chevy high performance did a test on all the ls motor intakes and the truck itake did pretty well,it outflowed the ls1 and was real close with the ls6,the fast gave a whopping 10-20 hp difference for damn near 1500 bucks,no worth it imo.although I here weiand is coming out with new intake that supposedly gives 30 across the board.but I am waiting to see the numbers first.

with any cam you are gonne need the computer reprogrammed,and probably in person not through the mail,chevy high performance did a test on all the ls motor intakes and the truck itake did pretty well,it outflowed the ls1 and was real close with the ls6,the fast gave a whopping 10-20 hp difference for damn near 1500 bucks,no worth it imo.although I here weiand is coming out with new intake that supposedly gives 30 across the board.but I am waiting to see the numbers first.

Agreed. For a mild cam like the GM LS1 hot cam a manifold swap probably isn't worth all of the trouble. For something more crazy like a 230 duration and lift in the .600+ range, the LS6/Fast/etc are going to start making some bigger gains in the high rpm range.

exactly l92's are cheper than ported 317 or ls6 and outflow them.

While it's true that the heads themselves are cheaper, add the cost and trouble to swap out the intake and related parts, it's pretty much a wash if you were to get Dart heads and keep the stock intake. It's all in what combination you want to run and what parts you want to buy... and how much fabrication you're willing/able to do.

Edited by SS_bnoon_SS (see edit history)

I had thought asbout using the GMPP P/N 12480033 LS Hot Cam Kit too. The kit comes with LS6 springs & retainers. Had also thought about the GMPP LS ASA Cam P/N 12480110 that also uses LS6 springs & retainers, but dosen't come with it. The LS Hot Cam is .525 lift at the valve, duration of .219 intake/.228 exhaust & the ASA Cam is .525 lift at the valve, duration of .226 intake/.236 exhaust. Both use the stock 1.7 ratio rocker. The Hot Cam has a 112 LSA & the ASA cam a 110 LSA. Has anyone run or heard of anyone running a 110 LSA cam??

I had thought asbout using the GMPP P/N 12480033 LS Hot Cam Kit too. The kit comes with LS6 springs & retainers. Had also thought about the GMPP LS ASA Cam P/N 12480110 that also uses LS6 springs & retainers, but dosen't come with it. The LS Hot Cam is .525 lift at the valve, duration of .219 intake/.228 exhaust & the ASA Cam is .525 lift at the valve, duration of .226 intake/.236 exhaust. Both use the stock 1.7 ratio rocker. The Hot Cam has a 112 LSA & the ASA cam a 110 LSA. Has anyone run or heard of anyone running a 110 LSA cam??

There was a guy running pretty dang quick using the ASA cam and other GMPP goodies. I would search for ASA cam on this site and see if you can find it...