B&m Console Shifter Install

dozer

First you need this B&M shifter. It comes with every thing you need. You will need some way to trim the side of the base to clear the factory speaker box in you center console. I used a 4" cutoff wheel on my grinder. You also need to trim part of the inner plastic mold of the center console. The duct work for the rear AC/Heater vent will also be removed and capped off. I had to splice 2 wires together that went to a switch on the stock shifter, otherwise the dash indicator would not show you were in park but would work for RND321. It was the switch that was activated when you pull the lever towards you to pull it out of park. Since i am doing a how to after the fact the shifter is already bolted in and adjusted to the right position but you will get it. Here are some more pics of it in my 408 build tread. click for finished pics.

Remove the center console

Shifter011.jpg

Now you should look like this minus the shifter

Shifter005.jpg

Now remove the plastic speaker box

Shifter017.jpg

Now cut the console here you can see where I cut

shifter0201.jpg

This is what the other side looks like

Shifter021.jpg

Now you can dry mount the shifter but you will need to make room for by trimming this piece

Shifter00301.jpg

Now leave all the mounts and bottom plate nuts loose so you can slide it up and down. Also cut a hole in the carpet where the cable will go and drill a hole to fit the cable trough.

Shifter008.jpg

Now put the center console with the speaker box re-attached to check clearance. In this pick you can see where I had to trim the mounting plate to just clear the speaker.

Shifter03301.jpg

Now do some test fitting with everything still loose

Shifter035.jpg

Now test fit to make sure the shifter will not hit the lid to the center console with the shifter in gear not park. I did more test fitting than anything to get the thing in the right spot just take your time you will know when its perfect. The shifter is adjustable up, down and side to side and there is just this one sweet spot.

Shifter052.jpg

Shifter035.jpg

Once you close now cut a hole in the cup holder and do some test fitting and adjustments of the shifter base plate. Once you have it tighten everything up and screw the base to the floor. I used self tapping sheet metal screws through the cart into the body for the base plate.

Shifter038.jpg

Shifter037.jpg

Now for the boot. I had to trim the bottom off the boot off the boot to shorten it height wise.

Shifter039.jpg

Now remove the stock shifter. You will remove the shifter lock pin also from the shifter

Shifter044.jpg

This is the pin that will disengage when when you put your foot on the brake to allow the shifter to be pulled into gear

Shifter048.jpg

Now the orange wire goes to a plug, unplug it from the plug that has a green and black wire. I then cut the plug off the green and black wire and joined the 2 together. If you do not do this Park will not show on the dash when you are in park. Took me forever to figure this one out.

Shifter049.jpg

Shifter051.jpg

Now remove stock shift cable and run the new one right off the new shifter trough the new hole in the floor and attach the supplied

bracket for holding the cable witch mounts to the trans pan bolts and attach the 4speed shift arm to the shaft coming out the NSBU. You then can make adjustments with the 2 adjustment nuts at the trans on the cable and at the shifter. You check the shifter against the dash indicator and make sure D is D and not 3rd or N or between.

Shifter031.jpg

Now enjoy your new shifter :cheers:

Edited by dozer (see edit history)

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It will shift into what ever gaer you want just like the stock shifter. You just have to pull up on the T handle to get out of park and pull striaight back until the indicator on the dash says your in D. It works like anyother stock floor shifter in most car and trucks in a round about way. There are a bunch of handles for this shifter just check out there web site

so does that mean the you would have to manually shift through the gears? or is there P R D 3 2 1? and is there anyway to get different handles? like the fords?

turned out really nice thanks for the write up. this could be in the future for me.

how did you remove the center console?

Open the lid on the center console and remove all top and bottom screws, then pull it out. Then take out all the screws you can see. There are a bunch back behind the center console when you flip down the cup holder get those to. Pop out the cubby and get all those screws. All in all there are abot 50 of these damn screws just work you way aroud untill i comes losse. once you get them all it lifts right out. There are also two 10mm bolts behind the front cubby.

Shifter043.jpg

Shifter041.jpg

Shifter040.jpg

awesome man thnx for the write up. i really think im gonna go ahead and do this in my truck, i just gotta get an extra center console incase i ever wat to go back to stock and also find a different shifter, i lik ur's but im looking for a darker look :thumbs:

-Rob

looks good but i dont understand why the need to manually shift todays Electronic trans. now with older non-electronic i understand....set it in the tune and call it a day

Its purely for assedics (edit: aesthetics but like it my way lol ). I would need a after market tach to manually shift at the rpms that my cam runs out at. I had one in my fist car a 1973 Camro. It was one of the first projects me and the old Man did. Its not for eveyone and is alot of work for a floor shifter I will admit.

Edited by dozer (see edit history)

Its purely for assedics. I would need a after market tach to manually shift at the rpms that my cam runs out at. I had one in my fist car a 1973 Camro. It was one of the first projects me and the old Man did. Its not for eveyone and is alot of work for a floor shifter I will admit.

yea i have a console shift as well

shifter4.jpg