Got The Cam In

I have argued with guys before about cam only swaps making 100+ hp,here is the deal,on the dyno the cam probably made the hp they have stated,and probably at 6500 rpm.Now I am sure they didn't rev the stocker to 6500 pm and it probably made peak hp at 5500-5600 rpm.I will bet thatif you look at the graph it will show something like 40-50-maybe 60 hp across the board but the big gains come at 6200 to 6500 where the other motor just wouldn't rev.So although I beleive them that peak hp may have changed by 150 hp,it is not an across the board kind of gain,it is a very significant short burst at very high rpm's.honestly,how long does your motor stay beween 6000 and 6500 rpm's? not long.I am sure the truck runs a ton better and that it makes 150 horse more than the stocker it just doesn't do it through the whole rpm range.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say stock with what you had and a tune you were probably more in the 300-310 range...so IMO that kind of gain isnt unbelievable..

:withstupid: I put 314 to the wheels with just a CAI, cat-back, and tune.....I believe those new numbers 100%. :chevy:

I'm wondering why his original dyno numbers are about 50hp shy of what they should have been. I've seen more hp than his 260 on a completely stock 03' SSS on W2W's AWD dyno. How is this cam feeling on the stock converter?

well to be honest i dont know what a upgraded coverter will feel like, i notice the gain in high rpm and yesterday i barked the tires going into second gear and thats the first time its done that i think it will be alot faster off the line with a converter but ill let you know when i get it in.

I'm wondering why his original dyno numbers are about 50hp shy of what they should have been. I've seen more hp than his 260 on a completely stock 03' SSS on W2W's AWD dyno. How is this cam feeling on the stock converter?

on this dyno we were on, stock lq9s have been around 260 hp, lq4s around 230-240hp, 02 up 5.3s are 220hp and 99-01 5.3s 200hp

on this dyno we were on, stock lq9s have been around 260 hp, lq4s around 230-240hp, 02 up 5.3s are 220hp and 99-01 5.3s 200hp

Are you using a mustang dyno cause they dont provide the nice flashy number everybody likes to see. From what ive read its a better platform for tuning and what not.