907 Alaska

Whoa i didn't even think anyone checked this anymore so i stopped. I was always on campus last semester, usually in the RH parking lot as well. I've seen a couple blue SS's there, and I always saw Fast's Vmax in the way back where i always parked haha. Most of my classes are at the university center now so I wont be on campus very often. I got new plates that say "XSSV" so if you see me, honk n wave! Everyone else up here seem to be pricks haha

Haha, ya I didn't really think anyone would respond when I put a post in this thread thought it was dead. Everyone from ak seems to have started posting on this site again which is cool, I'll keep an eye out and honk if I see you!

do you guys know of any good transmission shops? i have a weird rattle going on and i've read that it might be a cracked flywheel.

and do you guys know of any shops that'll install a cam and heads?

The only transmission shop I've had any experience/heard much about is Hansen's, but I wouldn't take it to a transmission shop if just the flywheel is cracked you might be able to have another shop drop the transmission cheaper and replace the flywheel if that is for sure the problem. I've heard good things about that transmission shop off old Seward between dowling and diamond, think its behind Mr. Prime beef area. I've gone in there a couple times and they were really helpful and actually gave me some gaskets for my 69'. If it was me I would do it myself but thats me, as for the heads and cam there should be lots of shops that can do that for you but not really sure which ones are good. The only problem would be tuning it for the cam/heads since I have yet to find a good tuner up here :dunno: ? Also what type of rattle is it? Consistent or something that just happens sometimes? Anyway good luck with fixing the rattle.

well, i don't know if it's consistent. i just noticed it this week. i thought it was my exhaust hitting something, but i havent really looked into it. i thought of doing the heads and cam myself, but i don't really have time, until the summer. i was planning on getting a wheatley tune. i thought about youngs off of international. i'll also keep hansen's in mind. i'm probably going to wait until next summer to get some tranny stuff done.

I should probably wait until i do the bigger things to my truck. i think i'll get my LTs and a tune and call it good for awhile :cheers:

well, i don't know if it's consistent. i just noticed it this week. i thought it was my exhaust hitting something, but i havent really looked into it. i thought of doing the heads and cam myself, but i don't really have time, until the summer. i was planning on getting a wheatley tune. i thought about youngs off of international. i'll also keep hansen's in mind. i'm probably going to wait until next summer to get some tranny stuff done.

I should probably wait until i do the bigger things to my truck. i think i'll get my LTs and a tune and call it good for awhile :cheers:

I didn't even think of youngs they built a completely new drive-shaft for my C-10 and it was great! Good luck! :)

hmmm.. I've heard mixed reviews of hansens. I heard taylor's transmission on lake otis near 68th puts out good all around work, plus Jim Moore started working there. He used to own Jim's Muffler and had a good reputation for exhausts so I brought my truck there for a full install. Little did I know, his grandson is doing all the exhaust work now and let's just say I highly recommend NOT going there. Don't get me wrong, the guys there know their stuff, but it looks like Chad used a HAMMER to bang down and reduce my 3" tip to 2.5" piping... Back to the topic, try B&B on diamond and C St?

As for the head and cams... Underground Performance maybe? Nick does good work. Or there's another shop up here called fast times or something. They're trying to build the fastest silvy ss in AK i think. One of the guys is on the site I believe.

I've been wanting to go in with someone on HPTuners. It can tune an unlimited number of the same year make and model so whoever has an 04 silvy, let me know if you guys want to split. This way, we can log our trucks, send the files to zippy or whatever professional, and they can tweak it more precisely and specifically to YOUR truck, rather than just a cookie cutter mail order tune.

I'm going to try and get a hold of the Fast Time's guys because I could've sworn they said something about HPTuners. I'll keep you guys posted.

i'm still interested in splitting the HP tuners with you. i just need to get my tranny issues worked out. yeah that place on dimond seems good. i'm probably going to check with youngs also. the noise is driving me f*ckin crazy!

:withstupid:

Totally agree just threw it out there since I've driven some trucks with transmissions from them. Definitely have had some bad luck and good from their.

Just to throw it at you guys. Hansen did a good job on my tranny 2 years ago. It has had the turbo behind it for that whole time. Not one problem.

Good luck on the Hptuners guys. I love mine. I got a tune done from Zippy and it ran great! Now I am starting to learn how to do it myself. I am putting on a bigger turbo(maybe a front mount) and new a/w intercooler and now I can make the nessesary changes on my own. Great to have! If there is anything I can help you guys with let me know.

hmmm.. I've heard mixed reviews of hansens. I heard taylor's transmission on lake otis near 68th puts out good all around work, plus Jim Moore started working there. He used to own Jim's Muffler and had a good reputation for exhausts so I brought my truck there for a full install. Little did I know, his grandson is doing all the exhaust work now and let's just say I highly recommend NOT going there. Don't get me wrong, the guys there know their stuff, but it looks like Chad used a HAMMER to bang down and reduce my 3" tip to 2.5" piping... Back to the topic, try B&B on diamond and C St?

As for the head and cams... Underground Performance maybe? Nick does good work. Or there's another shop up here called fast times or something. They're trying to build the fastest silvy ss in AK i think. One of the guys is on the site I believe.

I've been wanting to go in with someone on HPTuners. It can tune an unlimited number of the same year make and model so whoever has an 04 silvy, let me know if you guys want to split. This way, we can log our trucks, send the files to zippy or whatever professional, and they can tweak it more precisely and specifically to YOUR truck, rather than just a cookie cutter mail order tune.

I'm going to try and get a hold of the Fast Time's guys because I could've sworn they said something about HPTuners. I'll keep you guys posted.

I will probably need to rebuild my transmission soon; I'm surprised that its held up this long. I had my exhaust done a Taylor's back in 06 (I thought that Jim was going to do it) now I have all kinds of bends and reducers...... good thing the muffler is straight through.

Underground Performance is good; I had Nick put in my headers, 1.85 rockers(too big for my new cam), ls6 vavle springs, and my torque converter.

Fast times (Brody and Carter) not sure if they had a shop yet.... Carter is on this site, he tunes with hptuners. I had Brody install my cam, hardened pushrods, and high volume oil pump in his garage over on the east side of town. I though that they were still deployed because I didn't see either of them at the track this summer. I lost the business card they gave me. Here is the last number that I had for Carter 907-350-5779

do you guys know anywhere in town that'll put new cats in for me? my rattle noise is the passenger side cat.

Cool that you found your problem was just the cat probably a lot cheaper than changing a flywheel! It's funny your passenger side cat went bad to, because my passenger side cat was replaced right before I bought my truck. I'm not really sure about where to take it to get it changed though. I know on mine when they replaced it they changed the entire passenger side pipe from the header, to the muffler connection and they had the stealership do it in california, that must have been super expensive!

• 1 month later...
Whoa i didn't even think anyone checked this anymore so i stopped. I was always on campus last semester, usually in the RH parking lot as well. I've seen a couple blue SS's there, and I always saw Fast's Vmax in the way back where i always parked haha. Most of my classes are at the university center now so I wont be on campus very often. I got new plates that say "XSSV" so if you see me, honk n wave! Everyone else up here seem to be pricks haha

@haul@ss Hey pretty sure I saw you today at old seward and o'malley, I was turning right on to o'malley off old seward. Your truck looks good!

Also nice to meet you AK04SS and thanks for the deal on the sub preamp thing for the stock radio, got it installed today behind the radio and ran the wires but I've still got to hook up the main power wires and build a box. Haven't had the time to hook anything up to it yet. See you guys around! :chevy:

Edited by Matt* (see edit history)