How Do You Lower Front With Torsion Bar ?

Les Hall

I have an 06 rwd SS, I installed the beltech rear shackle (6400) now my front needs to come down about an inch,, any good how-too's on here with pics,,and do you have to have a front end alighnment after turning down the torsion bars,,,I saw one by Mr P. on how to change the keys but didn't say much about just turning down with stock parts.,,,,,,,,,,,

get under truck , turn torsion bolt.

it doesent get much easier than this. the bolt is very easy to acess . forgot the size but its eiter a 19mm 21mm or 22 mm

turn each side the same amount of turns and make sure you pull the truck backwards and forwards each tiem you adjust them. other wise it will appear to do nothing . the torsion bar needs to unload.

get under truck , turn torsion bolt.

it doesent get much easier than this. the bolt is very easy to acess . forgot the size but its eiter a 19mm 21mm or 22 mm

turn each side the same amount of turns and make sure you pull the truck backwards and forwards each tiem you adjust them. other wise it will appear to do nothing . the torsion bar needs to unload.

Sounds simple enough,,,thanks

make sure you jack the front end of the truck off the ground before you attempt to turn the bolts. (centerd on cross-member easiest)

you'll also need to turn your passenger side more than your drivers to get it to sit level.

im at 13 1/2 passenger and 10 1/2 drivers for somewhere around 1 1/4"

make sure you jack the front end of the truck off the ground before you attempt to turn the bolts. (centerd on cross-member easiest)

you'll also need to turn your passenger side more than your drivers to get it to sit level.

im at 13 1/2 passenger and 10 1/2 drivers for somewhere around 1 1/4"

a

I checked the differance from front to back,and my back passenger side set about half an inch lower than the front? So I'm planning on fabbing up a 1/2" wedge to bring it back up the 1/2" on that side. or is that why I need to do the passenger side torsion bar a little more? by the way,,thanx for all the helpfull info. :D

Edited by Les Hall (see edit history)

will droping with torsion bar adjust ruin the handeling or will it ride the same.

In my experience, the vehicle will ride a little (noticeably) rougher. That is why most believe in using spindle drops (like Belltech) rather than using different cranked torsion keys (like Ground Force). I personally have a Ground Force 2/2 and can notice that it rides a bit rougher over heavy bumps/pot holes, but handles better that the stock suspension around corners and on smoother roads.

Try doing a search in the suspension section about drops, lowering. Mr. P has posted a lot of informative articles that will help you figure out what is right for you.

Good luck! :cheers:

a

I checked the differance from front to back,and my back passenger side set about half an inch lower than the front? So I'm planning on fabbing up a 1/2" wedge to bring it back up the 1/2" on that side. or is that why I need to do the passenger side torsion bar a little more? by the way,,thanx for all the helpfull info. :D

thats why you need to turn the passenger side more...

chevys have a natural lean on the drivers side.. looks like it originates from the rear, but the problem is actually the front.

It will ride a little rougher, or "buck" more. you'll need a alignment.