Fuel Pump Replacement

faceliftedss

alright i know this is a pretty easy procedure but i figured why not do a write up about it.

so for anyone who needs more fuel delivery or just needs to replace. it is a good idea to have less than 5 gallons in the tank but not a must.

in most new chevy trucks the fueltank sits behind the drivers side cab snugged right under the bed. i have heard the wiring often goes bad and can burn up the pump. the new pump i bought came with a new harness and new connections. the first step is to make some room under the bed. i just took mine off to get some better pictures but if you are pressed for time and don't have the help here is what you do.

there are 8 bolts running down the chassis that connect the bed to the frame. if you remove the first tow or three running down each side and loosen the back 1 or 2 you can use blocks to lift up the bed kinda like a dump truck. here is what you see.

oldfuelpump1.jpg

the electrical connections are easily unplugged and i recomend bleeding out the fuel lines so you don't squirt fuel everywhere, but you can just use a rag and pull them off without too much mess and you are left with this

oldfuelpump.jpg

the only thing holding this baby down is a compression ring that has a hole on each end right in front. so use some needle nose plyers and remove the ring and the pump should come right out. i would take my time taking the pump out and let most of the fuel drain out and tip the pump as much as you can while it is still in the tank to do so.

the next step is optional but im a clean freak so here we go... i syphoned out all the gas from the tank to make sure there was no debris. there are tank cleaners you can use to get the job done well.

syphon.jpg

after the tank is clean I installed the new wiring harness and taped everything back up. put the new pump in and seat it firmly against the tank and put that compression ring back in place. you can hook the lines back up and the electical connections. and put the bed back on. it is also i good idea to replace your fuel filter.

newfuelpump.jpg

the install in the pictures was on my brothers s10 not my ss but the install is identical. hope this helps someone.

• 3 weeks later...

That's a nice write up, What i did with my pump install, I cut a hole in my bed floor, about 12"X12" with a jig saw,over the fuel pump, took about 5 minutes, and installed the pump in about 10 minutes, then I fabricated some tabs to put the exsisting peice back in place, and put a small bead of black silicone to fill the gap, now all i have to do is unbolt the peice and pop out the pump, should only take 10 minutes to complete, I'll try and post some pics, I also have a hard top cover for the bed so you cannot see it, but you realy can not tell it's their other then the four bolts I have holding the peice in.

• 1 month later...
That's a nice write up, What i did with my pump install, I cut a hole in my bed floor, about 12"X12" with a jig saw,over the fuel pump, took about 5 minutes, and installed the pump in about 10 minutes, then I fabricated some tabs to put the exsisting peice back in place, and put a small bead of black silicone to fill the gap, now all i have to do is unbolt the peice and pop out the pump, should only take 10 minutes to complete, I'll try and post some pics, I also have a hard top cover for the bed so you cannot see it, but you realy can not tell it's their other then the four bolts I have holding the peice in.

holy crap why would you cut up your truck to save you 30minutes? just unbolt the tank its 2 bolts and a few connections.