Ford Has New Motor For '09?

misterp

Ford has an open secret of an engine development program called "Hurricane" for the last few years, and it is now likely they are finally getting it in the Navigator for 2009, and to follow in F150s in 2010. Initial motor will be 450 ft. lbs, and Ford currently plans to make available factory offerings topping 500 ft. lbs in 2011 (that would be around 650-hp). The block is also capable of being poked & stroked to 7-litre (can you say 'Boss 429') and in fact Roush has been testing this variant for a while now, makes N/A 700-hp @ 7000-rpm. We might have some worthy SSS competition coming!

Mr. P. :)

That is not TRUE at all.

The Product Mix for a Manufacture Must average 30 MPG...

Example.. If Ford sells 15 Focus Hybrids that Get 40 MPG and 15 Trucks that get 20 MPG the average is 30 thus they pass their needed government quota.

will it be a stand alone engine? from what i recall, every car made after 2010 MUST get 30 mpg... no way this beast will get that....

hmmmmm

The motor is going to be direct gas injection (DGI) ready, that combined with cylinder deactivation will probably meet the EPA regs. Other thing that I have heard and read in a few places is that it is SOHC but I'll believe that when I see it.

Mr. P.

The motor is going to be direct gas injection (DGI) ready, that combined with cylinder deactivation will probably meet the EPA regs. Other thing that I have heard and read in a few places is that it is SOHC but I'll believe that when I see it.

Mr. P.

or maybe they stole the direct exhaust injection idea (D.E.I.)

I did a googlesearch, the Ford Hurricane is 6.2 litres, 425 horsepower and 425 ft lbs of torque, and Rousch Racing has MODIFIED a LARGER version of this engine, that's where the big HP numbers are coming from. Nothing to do with the factory engine....

The engine was initially called the "Hurricane", but this was changed in mid 2006 to the storied Boss name in the wake of Hurricane Katrina.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Boss_engine