How To - Strap Your Front End

04CHASE

well ive seen a few members on other boards who made bumpstops so to speak but worked backwards. limited upward travel of your front suspension.

with my current set up , awd dropped suspension, making in the ball park of 600 awhp with a forged 370 (9.25-1 cr) and 16-17 psi with a centrifgal blower , i have wheel spin badly through first gear, i also have a pretty aggressive 3000 stall that will flash in the ball park of 4000-4500.

so my thoughts were why make bump stop brackets you cant adjust nor remove.

im also a off road enthusiast and thought of what they use, travel straps , which limit your downward suspension travel which in their cases is 15-30 inches, where i have some where in the ball park of 6-8

so i removed my front wheels and peeped things out and here is what i found

DSC01407.jpg

DSC01408.jpg

so after measuring i discovered i needed 10 inch straps , so i went to this local offroad shop that has all this stuff

here is what i came home with

DSC01406-1.jpg

10 inch limit straps, 2 clevis bolts with springs , grade 10.9 (2) 14 mmx 2 inches and (2) 14mm x 4 inches( they were metric but im giving standard legnth :wtf: . i used nylocks on each one , but opted to use the stock nut on the bottom of the shaock mount, you will also need 14 washers in this size( i only had 8 because this was first time run and i only did one side) . a 1/2 inch drill bit i think it was i needed to drill the hole out on the top shock mount( just get one the same size as the clevis). youll need a 1/2 inch drill for this and be careful i have bloody knuckles.

Dont mind the extra bolts and nuts on the top right i didnt use those .

ok now juack up your truck on the a arm to keep your suspension loaded so you can get the straps on , it is impossible to get it fully loaded without having the wheels on .

install:

notice that pretty bottom shock mount? looks nice for a spot to mount a limit strap

DSC01409-1.jpg

now to find the top strap mount, see the little hole next to the shock mount , it looks almost perfect if we de virginize it a bit

DSC01411-1.jpg

DSC01412.jpg

ok so got the hole all drilled out and ths clevis fits in there just fine

DSC01414.jpg

DSC01415.jpg

now i had to modify the bolt that joins the clevis and strapso it wouldnt rub on the shock.

now pull the bottom shock mount bolt out , and let the shock extend out of th emount off to the side.( id recommend to do this before drilling the top hole in the shock mount)

now replace the shock bolt with the longer one you got with a washers on the head side , now install 3-4 washers on the other side of the bolt opposite side of the shock, put the strap on after that , then re use the stock bolt that incorperates a washer to lock it in place like pictured below, its going to be tough to get the strap on the bolt on the bottom but just loosen theclevis bolt enough to get it on , but not to loose you dont want it to come off. after the straps are on the bolt and the clevis tighten the top clevis nut up a bit.

DSC01416-1.jpg

it should now look like this

DSC01417-1.jpg

DSC01418.jpg

DSC01419-1.jpg

DSC01421.jpg

DSC01420.jpg

DSC01423.jpg

now put the wheel back drop the truck down and see the strap loose all tension , now crawl under the truck and wedge your arm under there and hand tighten the bottom bolt on the top of the shocks mount ( top of the clevis) to where its snug . now crawl out , jack it back up ( loaded this time)

tighten the top clevis bolt up about three turns, and use the jam nut to snug it up .( you want it to where the strap has a little bit of tension on it so it wont move around )

this will allow you to drive around and not even notice them , it will also have enough tension on it to where the spring will suck up all tension when the trucks suspension unloads.

now for track time , you need to pull the wheel off , and i highly suggest investing in a ratcheting 3/4 inch wrench.

you want to tighten up the bottom nut about 2 inchs, so youll have about 2 inchs of thread above the nut, maybe more just have to test it out and see what works best. below is where i tightend it up to about 2 inches of thread out the top and this is jacking the truck up by the frame , notice the droop is almost gone in the suspension , i still had quite a bit left i could have tightened.

DSC01424.jpg

DSC01425-1.jpg

if there is any interest in these i can supply them but im trying to find a good source so i can provide them for a decent price.

i paid about 135 for the parts but hope to sell them for that .

Edited by 04CHASE (see edit history)

Very innovative Chase :thumbs:

Mr. P. :)

:confused: Innovative? Have you never seen limiter straps before? I mean, not to take anything away from Chase for doing the install with pics and writeup, but limiting straps (even chains) have been around just about as long as drag racing...

:confused: Innovative? Have you never seen limiter straps before? I mean, not to take anything away from Chase for doing the install with pics and writeup, but limiting straps (even chains) have been around just about as long as drag racing...

Yes, many of us have seen limiting straps and chains in use. Chase and I have been PM'ing each other about straps, chains, spring clamps, tie rod sleaves, CalTracs etc. for some time now.

I feel he is innovative in the materials used, mounting locations and write up albeit this approach will only apply to like 1% of the forum members :thumbs: