Stock sway-bar bushings?

marc_w

What are the stock sway bar bushings made out of?

They look like regular ol' stock rubber stuff to me, but it's been too cold outside to really tell.

I was thinking about upgrading to Energy Suspension pieces.

I've often wondered how much improvement could be realized with just upgraded bushings rather than new bars. I've already got sway bars fore and aft....

Thansk Plwtwo. :thumbs:

FG, I heard a lot of the Av guys really praising bushings for the front/rear sways on their trucks.

I only got around to doing end-links on my Av, and felt a noticeable improvement. Not huge, just noticeable.

I was figuring I'd go with end links and mounts on the SS, and see what happens. They're not too expensive, so what the heck.

I'll grab some this week and report back...

I was looking into those greaseable bushings also but wanted to see if anyone knew what the stock sway bar size was, so i know which ones to order. It looks like 1 1/4 but i'm not totally sure. Does anyone know the best brand or part#, where to get them and how much.

SS, funny, I was about to ask the same question about the sway bar size.

I got pretty busy last week, and finally made it to the store yesterday. They had a number of Energy Suspension parts, and saw that they had sway-bar hardware in standard and metric sizes.

When I measured the sway bar with a crummy caliper, I got a little over 1 1/4". I second guessed myself and didn't buy anything. I'm worried we have a metric sized sway. I'll get under there again tonight, and get the size for sure.

I ordered a kit from Hellwig. Part#7633 in the front (diameter 1-5/16") and Part#7634 (diameter 1-1/8") in the rear. I just replaced the Bars in my Suburban from stock to Hellwig and the difference is amazing, the stock front bars at the same in the SS and the Burb. I think the best manufacture might be Hotchkis, they have complete packages for suspension and anti-sway.

marc, I measured mine also and it was a little over 1 1/4, but i think i ordered the 1 1/4 anyway because i want it to be as tight as possible. i think it should be ok this place has them for a pretty good price as well. http://www.suspension.com/s.b.bushings.htm check it out. I think i am going to run part# 3-5144 which is a non-greasable, but when you get the black bushings. they have graphite-impregnated polyurethane, so they don't squeek, where as the red do. they only have one set of the non-greasable left. for $14.00 which includes endlinks. they also have the greadable part# 3-5180 sway bar kit for $24.00 including end links. the guy i talked to was named Bruce.

Good luck with the truck

Okay,

Finally got the parts, and tossed them on Friday night.

9.5165RC -- Greasable sway bar bushings. (Red)

9.8105RC -- Sway bar end link bushing set. (Red)

There's no real explaining about the install. Take out the old stuff, swap in the new. The only catch would be for the top bushing on each of the end links. They need a little coaxing on the funnel-shaped threaded washer. No biggie.

They work well. The front end is less lively from side to side on our crappy frost-heaved roads in New England. There is not a huge difference in cornering performance. Not any more harsh than stock. I think I need to go back out under the truck and snug them up a bit. I left them on the loose side because it was pretty chilly when I installed them - didn't want to overtighten and crack anything.

I'd say it's still worth the 25 or so bucks.

Archived