TUNING KENNE BELL SUPERCHARGER KITS

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks, Justin for reopening the thread.

A lot of you have flamed us for starting this thread and using a particular tuner's name. Please allow us to apologize for that. We should not have used his name.

We do think it is everyone's best interest to know more details about why we feel the way we do about "tuners" in general and how they can affect our supercharger kits. We have more to say about this and the use of aftermarket parts that may or may not work well with superchargers in general. Please look at this as more of a "Do's and Don'ts" rather than any flaming of other companies' services or products. If everyone can get into the right perspective on this, we feel it can benefit those who have already supercharged their trucks or are looking to in the future.

Look for some more information soon for those interested.

Thank you.

I think I side with KB also on this one. The sig pic and possible sticker could be interpreted the wrong way by uniformed consumers. Nelson got singled out only because of the sig pic sticker named him, not because they think he is "ignorant."

As a company, KB did the right thing. Could it of been worded more "politically correct", Yes, but the point got across.

Now, can some of this energy be spent on an intercooled set-up and customer support?

i've never seen that sticker before myself anyway and i doubt many on here had any clue it was related to kenne bell. he came to a site that has very few kenne bell products around and shot down someone who has been helpfull on this site. tuners also don't affect the blower package, just the programming if anything. i also agree, if the pcm is "locked" with kenne bell programming, then it's not a concern. i've never once seen allen mention being related to kenne bell either so it's a cheap shot at mearly what someone thought was just fun playing on their photoshop. this is the internet, it happens. after something like this i think maybe kenne bell should stop back and be of some use or help to members if he expects them to desire his product or services.

*probably a good call on locking it soon though jwest*

I think I side with KB also on this one. The sig pic and possible sticker could be interpreted the wrong way by uniformed consumers. Nelson got singled out only because of the sig pic sticker named him, not because they think he is "ignorant."

As a company, KB did the right thing. Could it of been worded more "politically correct", Yes, but the point got across.

Now, can some of this energy be spent on an intercooled set-up and customer support?

ABSOLUTELY!

From what I've researched about KB superchargers. I have found a predominate and common complaint about them. And it's the reason I'll will not buy one from them. POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE

And when I do buy a supercharger, one of the first things I will do is take it to one of our SS site tuners, that we have grown to trust and have faith in and have it tuned.

They way I look at it. After I buy it, I can do whatever I choose, including voiding the warranty.

Glad to see you back KB.

That was a pretty good effort at damage control - give it enough time after the thread was locked for everyone to calm down, make a simple apology, and not return any pointed remarks.

You've earned a little respect in my book. Now get to work on that intercooler.

You know, I agree with KB, from the business stand point. All businesses want total control over their products; monopolize on the service, maint., and upgrade of their product. We see it everyday with companies like GM, Ford, Dodge....we all know how it works. I don't agree how it was initially taken care of though. It could have been expressed differently, or taken care of at a personal level(PM, Email, ETC..). Any way you look at it, there were mistakes made and now, hopefully, we can all have better communication and even more good comraderie. We're all here to learn and have some fun. Sorry for rambling, just my $.02.

Maybe you could answer this question for me: IS the Kenne Bell program adjusted for our 6L's with 10 to 1 compression?

I had noted on my program sheet this fact, and had actually asked on one of my calls, I was told it didn't matter, that all the GM 6L were the same.

I agree it is in KB's interest as a company to want control over tuning - for warranty, reliability, and liability reasons. They are trying to sell a "complete kit" product.

My top 2 SC choices would be KB and Radix. But its hard to compare the two "kits" that are currently available. Intercooled vs non, side mount vs top, roots vs twin screw, inline fuel pump vs boostapump, .... about the only similarities are the injectors and a single programming option. And lots of guys are getting tuning done with both products...

Would KB still warranty their mechanical components if I did my own tune? I mean within reason - perhaps limits on maximum blower rpm.

(many folks have posted wishes for a GM version of the twin screw intake manifold) :rolleyes:

My wish list SC "kit": intercooled KB twin screw on an intake manifold replacement with rails/injectors, inline fuel pump, boost gauge, fuel pressure gauge, and properly sized intercooler radiator. I would plan to tune it myself. IMHO there is no way a "generic" tune for all 6.0L engines can provide the best performance for my particular vehicle. Also, different drivers have different preferences for shift points, rev limits, etc.

:cheers:

Being a business owner, I think going to the source is the best way to resolve most issues.

If someone wants to modify one of our products, they can. I would like to know why they did and how can I help them in the future to keep them as a customer.

But, remind them that the warrantee is now void, because they altered the original product.

My $.02 :flag:

I dont own a KB or a radix for that matter but i do see the point they were trying to make. It seems to me they should know that a custom tune is far better than one out of the box. Even though it voids the warranty. Who cares? If most of the guys one here worried about their warranties they sure as heck wouldnt be putting s/c on them. I have said this before mod like crazy, to hell with the warranty. Now if KB puts out an intercooled kit and offered some individual tuning then i would still think about buying one from them. They better make it fast though because i see a s/c in the near future. :D

I dont own a KB or a radix for that matter but i do see the point they were trying to make. It seems to me they should know that a custom tune is far better than one out of the box. Even though it voids the warranty. Who cares? If most of the guys one here worried about their warranties they sure as heck wouldnt be putting s/c on them. I have said this before mod like crazy, to hell with the warranty. Now if KB puts out an intercooled kit and offered some individual tuning then i would still think about buying one from them. They better make it fast though because i see a s/c in the near future. :D

Kenny Bell probably tunes for emissions where as the other tuners refered to here don't. And many people don't mind not telling the truth if they can profit from it... i.e. Having something fixed under warranty broken because of something you've done.

Kenny Bell most likely does the same thing Radix does. Dial in a solid performance gain but leave a large safety margin.

:smash:

Kenny Bell most likely does the same thing Radix does. Dial in a solid performance gain but leave a large safety margin.

Exactly. One tune for everyone. It must run rich and on slightly lower timing just to keep down any warranty issues. A custom tune should make more power almost every time.

Archived