Ethanol E85 In The Ss?

shopman1

:chevy: I did a search and found no data on our trucks running on ethanol e85.

Does anyone know if that is a posibility?

General Motors has partnered with Coskata to finance ethanol to be made for

less than a doller!

See Article: http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/e...l-coskata_N.htm

So, if it came to be, the question is can we burn it? Anyone know?

thanks,

Shopman1

Edited by shopman1 (see edit history)

i do know that the LQ9 is not a "flex fuel" motor like many 5.3's and others. but you can always convert it to run E85. i believe the only difference is the tuning in the PCM. all the flex fuel trucks i do have seperate tables for "alcohol" for fuel and spark tables. our trucks do not. so if you could find a way arround that, it might be possible

EDIT: but unless you got the tune perfect for the E85, the efficency would counteract the savings of money, and youd be better off with petrol anyways

Edited by kelleyperformance (see edit history)

I will have mine running on E-85 in the next couple weeks,It has a lot of benefits for people with forced induction becuase of the cooling effect and the huge drop in iat's you will see running it.which will allow for more timing and boost safely.Do a search on performancetrucks.net for e-85 and you will get a lot more info.

it would be a little more in depth than that.. you would need different fuel lines to accommodate e85, bigger injectors and a bigger fuel pump as well as a pcm upgrade. i know my truck has all of those over a non e85 equipped vehicle.

it would be a little more in depth than that.. you would need different fuel lines to accommodate e85, bigger injectors and a bigger fuel pump as well as a pcm upgrade. i know my truck has all of those over a non e85 equipped vehicle.

The feul lines are o.k., And I agree you do need to run injectors that can accommodate 33% more flow than what you're running,which is why I am running 60lb injectors, also I have upgraded my fuel pump for more flow. I have another thread about e-85 that has been popping up from time to time and I think it has a link to ls1tech that has a 10 page thread on e-85 and those who have converted it and what it takes.http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=602091&highlight=e-85 This ought to help.

i would SO LOVE to be able to run both gas and e85 in my SS!!!

allballz, if you get it working, you must type up a post about it!!! and please detail the process, and your experience in horsepower, driveability, mpg, etc..

plus, please, a parts list..

the fuel rail is different as well,the E-85 equipped vehicles use a diferent fuel pressure regulator as well.

The rails look identical on the outside but where the reg goes in the flex version is bigger. would post pic's of the two but one is currently being used.......

here is some info. on E 85. I'm all for clean air, but it may cost less NOW to buy than gas, but i see it going as high as the gas price now in the near future :banghead: i saw an article on it ,that i wish i could find, that stated, if the US alone went to E 85 solely. than it would take 85-90 % of ALL the agriculture

land mass in the world would be needed to grow corn, just to supply the US needs for E 85.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E_85

good luck

:seeya:

the fuel rail is different as well,the E-85 equipped vehicles use a diferent fuel pressure regulator as well.

The rails look identical on the outside but where the reg goes in the flex version is bigger. would post pic's of the two but one is currently being used.......

In my case I have the return type fuel system which flows a greater volume of fuel than the returnless system,which is the reason most return type systems can get away with no fuel pump upgrades and bigger injectors. Which is the reason I didn't feel the need to go with bigger fuel lines. In the case of the returnless system I can see why you would need bigger lines and components to run e-85.

here is some info. on E 85. I'm all for clean air, but it may cost less NOW to buy than gas, but i see it going as high as the gas price now in the near future :banghead: i saw an article on it ,that i wish i could find, that stated, if the US alone went to E 85 solely. than it would take 85-90 % of ALL the agriculture

land mass in the world would be needed to grow corn, just to supply the US needs for E 85.

good luck

Ethanol can also be made with sugar,and they are working on a process to make it using silage which is the waste after corn harvesting(stalks ,cobs and leaves) which is currently used for feeding farm animals,or tilled back into the ground and is otherwise useless.The funny thing about ethanol is it is basically moonshine and the process for making it is nearly identical.There are actually websites on how to make ethanol in your back yard for your own use,I just don't know how legal it is?

So basically, a recal'd pcm, e85 pres. reg, maybe different lines, and injectors is all needed to run e85? Hell, here in Indy, E85 is only 2.35/gal, petrol is 3.04-3.10/gal. Definitely cheaper to run ethanol.

And from what I've read the reason ethanol is the price it is now is because there is a high demand and not enough,when all the new ethanol plants that are being built now are up and running they are projecting ethanol to be in the 1.50/gal range.

good luck

Not to mention what would happen to the prices of corn when we have a drought one year. We've been getting less and less rain every year....