Cam For An Lq9?

Hey I am new to the site, but not new to truck forums. I am trying to do some research on the best cam for a N/A LQ9. I currently have a 2004 RCSB that is that beautiful GM Victory Red with a 5.3L. I plan on doing the swap sometime this summer. I am looking for something like the tr220 is for the 5.3L. Something with some low end power. I was also wondering if the stock 4l65e would suffice. If so I'll just buy the motor/trans together for cheaper. I usually hang out at fullsizechevy.com and pt.net. Not to talk trash on either site, but I feel this would be the place to come as you all have LQ9's from the factory. I love the Silverado SS and wish they had made a RCSB version. Since they didn't I will have to make my own. I have been looking around the site and have already seen my hero (ImpoSSter SS) has already done what I plan on doing. I am also hoping this site is a little friendlier then pt.net. Every time I ask a question there they tell me to do a search. All I ever find when searching is other posts where someone has asked the same questions just to be told to do a search. It's like they are too good to answer a damn simple question. Anyways sorry for the novel but, I hope to find more help here!! Thanks for the help, Rob

Hey I am new to the site, but not new to truck forums. I am trying to do some research on the best cam for a N/A LQ9. I currently have a 2004 RCSB that is that beautiful GM Victory Red with a 5.3L. I plan on doing the swap sometime this summer. I am looking for something like the tr220 is for the 5.3L. Something with some low end power. I was also wondering if the stock 4l65e would suffice. If so I'll just buy the motor/trans together for cheaper. I usually hang out at fullsizechevy.com and pt.net. Not to talk trash on either site, but I feel this would be the place to come as you all have LQ9's from the factory. I love the Silverado SS and wish they had made a RCSB version. Since they didn't I will have to make my own. I have been looking around the site and have already seen my hero (ImpoSSter SS) has already done what I plan on doing. I am also hoping this site is a little friendlier then pt.net. Every time I ask a question there they tell me to do a search. All I ever find when searching is other posts where someone has asked the same questions just to be told to do a search. It's like they are too good to answer a damn simple question. Anyways sorry for the novel but, I hope to find more help here!! Thanks for the help, Rob

the TR220 cam works great in the 5.3L, im gonna get the TR224 for my LQ9. what other mods do you plan on doing to bettre the cam? as for the trans you might consider the basic upgrades to help surive, shift kit, servos, bigger cooler, stall converter. :chevy:

Hey do a search..... :crackup:

J/K Hey I hear that this is a good one ...

Thunder Racing Custom Camshaft

"CheaTR" - 214/230 .601/.575 117 LSA. Off Idle-6800 RPM Power Band. Broad power range. Works well with stock exhaust manifolds and catalytic converters. Stock like idle. Minor tuning required on automatic transmission cars. Responds very well to nitrous. Due to the fast ramp rate of this camshaft, the use of 1.8 rockers is not recommended. Double valve springs and titanium retainers required for this cam.

Edited by oscareltemblo (see edit history)

the TR220 cam works great in the 5.3L, im gonna get the TR224 for my LQ9. what other mods do you plan on doing to bettre the cam? as for the trans you might consider the basic upgrades to help surive, shift kit, servos, bigger cooler, stall converter. :chevy:

I keep you in mind when I pull my 224 cam out :cheers:

It is a popular FI cam, as Lingenfelter sells it with their S/C packages. But I have been searching around about cams a bit lately and quite a few members said that it is a good N/A cam also because it has a pretty tame idle/lope. Maybe one of the other GT2's would be better but I thought I would throw it out there because I am wondering which cam to get down the road as well.

What are your goals with the truck and what all do you use it for?

I do plan on keeping it n/a for awhile but, plan on going F/I down the road. This won't be my daily so It can be a little nasty but, I don't want too big. It's not going to be at the track every weekend. I guess I am just looking for something that will give it some low end torque that might benifit from a small stall. What size cam is in the LQ9 stock?

Rob

Welcome to the site! :cheers: This site is very friendly lol. The cam in my sig what I had in my 6.0. it's more a top end cam that requires tuning as well as a 3000 stall. Keep in mind that the stock tranny doesn't like this cam. You will also need a tranny cooler, shift kit with that BUT it gives 100 hp with the right tune. Oh yeah, new springs are required. There is a lot of "supporting" mods to think of depending on the cam you choose.