408 "ls-6" With Direct Port Nitrous

Krambo

Alright,...Quick update as per request.The short block is complete and the heads are out of the CNC shop and are being cleaned up. I have decided to have TS&P bolt on an intake and slap it on the dyno so I can see where the curve is going to be. This session will be completely N/A with base controls (mild advance and a safe AFR). I wanted to do this to seat the rings in a WOT situation, have TS&P observe any funny sounds / issues prior to them shipping this puppy and of course see where the power curve is going to lay. I will keep you all posted on that effort...No update on the tranny, FLT has it and will be going through it at their leisure. I asked them to take their time as I would not need the tranny for a couple of months.Parts are trickling in. I have just about all the nick-nacks I need for install. I spent like $500 on all of the BS items (nuts and bolts, sensors etc.). When people say its the little things that add up...they mean it. Here are some pictures of some parts:

1. Valve / Coil covers. I had a custom set of valve / coil covers made by ABEAR motorsports. IMO the covers really clean up the look of the engine bay and the stock valve covers (to me) were bland, I wanted to add some pop to the project. I had them anodized red to go with the color scheme of my project and I am glad I did. They came out awesome, the machine work and the color are perfect. I went the extra mile and had them engraved with "408 CID" and the word "Chevrolet" under that. I debated on adding something "SS" related however for the resale of the motor, this was a better choice (God, I am already thinking of the next step and I don't even have this motor in yet,...I am sick :uhoh: ). Here are some pictures:IMG_1340.jpg

In order to use thest covers, I had to switch to the LS-2 coils. The LS-2 coils are round in design and the stock truck coils are "square" which make the machining process for the coil covers almost impossible for this design. I picked up the LS-2 coils on Ebay, brand new for $175, sold my stockers for $110 so a charge of $65 for brand new coils was a good deal IMO. So that everyone is aware, the LS-2 style coils are plug and play for our harness as well.

Picture of the LS-2 coils on the Abear covers. Note the the coils are not bolted down, just laying on the mounts:IMG_1342.jpg

Picture of the valve covers with the LS-2 coils and the coil covers over them:IMG_1343.jpg

I will be running the Meziere Electric LS1 Water pump and the Meziere 180* thermostat as well. I also purchased the anodized red to go with my color scheme:IMG_1344.jpg

IMG_1345.jpg

Since I am using the FAST fuel rails, I need to have an aftermarket FPR. I chose to go with the Aeromotive unit due to its size and of course color. I will be mounting this little guy on the passenger side fuel rail near the firewall. Its small size allows for this:

IMG_1347.jpg

I will be running the FAST car fuel injectors and as everybody knows, you need to splice your truck injector harness. I chose to use the MSD cut and splice units:

IMG_1348.jpg

------------------Continued on next post-----------------------

Edited by Krambo (see edit history)

Just some misc. coated parts. Alternate battery tray for the nitrous fuel cell, thermostat housing and the tensioner. Not much to talk about here

IMG_1352.jpg

Do you all remember my cat that was on the edge of a meltdown? Well I also took care of that issue and made sure it will not happen again. :P

Pic of before:

IMG_1196.jpg

And after the treatment. A true High-Flow design!

IMG_1349.jpg

That is about all she wrote for now. I didn't take a pictue of the other stuff (idler bracket, Alt/ PWR ST bracket, plug wires etc.). I didn't feel that was too exciting to look at yet. I will post an update when some more stuff arrives (motor, nitrous goodies). Thanks for reading!

Got some interesting news from TS&P this morning and I thought I would share. The lead technician at TS&P is doing a nice write-up / pictorial of my long block assembly. Take the tour and enjoy the pictures!

Kevin Rambo's TS&P 408 write up LINK

Pretty nice write-up and close-up pictures. Note the CNC port work on the heads :thumbs::smash:

I also used the MSD connectors to adapt the injector wires, they worked very and looked stock. I liked them better than a plug and play pig tail adapter because we have enough wires running over the valve cover as it is. I cannot decide between those valve covers or Katechs with coil relo? I dont know the ABEAR's would look badass in black.... I hate these hard decisions LOL.

Edited by dozer (see edit history)

are you doing a sheet metal intake kinda like what chase has?

No sir. I will be doing a ported Wilson / FAST 90 with a neat little direct port nitrous assembly on top. The intake will be painted black with some airbrushing to tie in the theme of "Black Widow". :devil: