2-3 Shift Clunk

willmceliece

i posted about this in the trans tech forum, but i was going to see if any of yall with the 4l70e have this issue too. i've got a 2006 vortec max with the 4l70e thats driving me crazy. i took it to the dealer initially to have a 1-2 and 2-3 shift clunk looked at. it also does it on decel. too. not so much a harsh shift but more audible "clunk". they replaced the valve body, 1-2 piston and springs under warranty. the 1-2 is great now but the 2-3 and 3-2 are killing me. i was told that the way the solar gear meshes together gives it a little slop. is there anything i can do to quiet this down? thanks guys! -will

Maybe try the new GM Mercon VI synthetic fluid??? BTW, have u tried lubing ur driveshaft slip yoke? I didn't knwo the 2006's had the 4L70E's, I was under the impression only the 2007 "Classic" had them. :dunno:

Yeah the 06 came with the M70 (4l70e) which uses the GM Dex6.

I have the same issue. Feels like there is slack in the drive train some where.......If i coast from third and slow to 2nd to trun i get a clunk if i don't really ease into it. same 2nd to 1st. Dealer lube drive shaft and didnt help. I found a tsb for "clunk sound on decel and throttle between gears." the fix was for leaf spring brackets. They shift and cause the cluck..I will be trying that the next time at the dealer. By the way the service writer told me that the noise is common. I ask if all the new trucks did it and he said "well no but..." bullshit...I hate my stealership.!!!!!!!!

Your 4l70e requires dex6 i hope thats what your have been using. If you look in your manual you'll see that the first transmission service is @ 50,000 miles. That is because it comes with the synthectic Dex VI. Also you cannot use Dex3 in your tranny! see below

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Document ID# 1897292

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Classic - 4WD

Subject:Manual Transmission Fluid Usage In 2007 And Prior Manual Transmissions And Transfer Cases - keywords case fluid manual transmission transfer #PIP3836B - (02/05/2007)

Models:2007 and Prior Passenger Cars and Trucks

2007 and Prior HUMMER H2

2007 HUMMER H3

2007 and Prior Saturn Passenger Cars and Trucks

This PI is superseded to add a note under concerns. Please discard PIP3836A.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

<A href="http://service.gm.com/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=1897292&psdid=1636&evc=sm#ss1-1897292">Condition/Concern:

Use of manual transmission fluid part number 88861800 U.S. (88861801 Canada) in place of Dexron III.

Important Note: If the vehicle owners manual lists Dexron VI as the recommended transmission, transaxle or transfer case fluid disregard any information supplied in this PI. Use eSI and or the vehicle owners manual to determine what type of fluid should be used prior to referencing the below information

<A href="http://service.gm.com/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=1897292&psdid=1636&evc=sm#ss2-1897292">Recommendation/Instructions:

Manual Transmission fluid part number 88861800 U.S. (88861801 Canada) is currently available through GMSPO. Current and past model vehicles listed above with either a manual transmission or transfer case that REQUIRE Dexron III should use the above listed manual transmission fluid. This fluid is a direct replacement for Dexron III in manual transmissions and transfer cases. DO NOT use Dexron VI in place of the manual transmission fluid in any manual transmissions or transfer cases as a failure may result.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

Document ID# 1897292

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Classic - 4WD

i would hope that when the dealer dropped the pan they would have used the dex6? the way i was told was that the gears are made of two different metals(steel and alum) and cause the slack? http://www.tripleedgeperformance.com/image...eb_pics_005.jpg

the rings to the left are what im thinking.