Update/carnage On The Sss

well mr p... i agree....i would like to use the stock i wanted to use the stock cranks..and stock heads if i can... not sure if i need to do anyting to the head or not..valves or rockers...

and i was still thowin the idea around about upgrading the radix... but i dont know if its really worth it.. $2300??? for not that much more boost i dont think.. i dunno still reading it do it

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well mr p... i agree....i would like to use the stock i wanted to use the stock cranks..and stock heads if i can... not sure if i need to do anyting to the head or not..valves or rockers...

and i was still thowin the idea around about upgrading the radix... but i dont know if its really worth it.. $2300??? for not that much more boost i dont think.. i dunno still reading it do it

All depends on your goals; I agree with you I am not all that high on the MP122 compressor, I don't like the IATs on the thing but that's just me, although it shows well and if you take it to the track and get a good cold run out of it you'll see a great pass... but still... I would spend the money on a great head/cam combo, getting the 317's ported and matched to a really good supercharger-specific cam, I'm thinking like TEA or Cartek or WCCH; a good set of AFRs or Edelbrocks might work well too after all the costs are figured. :dunno: My point is that induction is what makes performance, not necessarily bottom-end provided it's strong enough to do the job.

Mr. P. :)

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

well i agree with what ur sayin...im just havent been around these motors long anuf to know what works and what lastest...my goal is to drive the wheels of the truck... ive already got a monster in the garge when ever i wanna scare my self... i need something i drive to work most ever day its nice out.. and pull up to a light.. and pretty much not have to worry..haha but thats gettin harder and harder to do its gettin to the point u almost have to have soemthing in the 11s just to do that..

i thought i was going to be able to use stock heads.. but from the sounds of it no?.. do they need alot of work.. i thougth they flowed alot .. i was told it wasnt worth it to put head on with a 112 because it couldnt feed them?.. but are u sayin with the more cubics i can move more air? so its now worth it? im just tryin to build a budget ... or look at different opp and see which one fits m budget.. thats why i was thinkin about the 370 and a 112 because its what il already have.. most bang for my buck i suppose

well i agree with what ur sayin...im just havent been around these motors long anuf to know what works and what lastest...my goal is to drive the wheels of the truck... ive already got a monster in the garge when ever i wanna scare my self... i need something i drive to work most ever day its nice out.. and pull up to a light.. and pretty much not have to worry..haha but thats gettin harder and harder to do its gettin to the point u almost have to have soemthing in the 11s just to do that..

i thought i was going to be able to use stock heads.. but from the sounds of it no?.. do they need alot of work.. i thougth they flowed alot .. i was told it wasnt worth it to put head on with a 112 because it couldnt feed them?.. but are u sayin with the more cubics i can move more air? so its now worth it? im just tryin to build a budget ... or look at different opp and see which one fits m budget.. thats why i was thinkin about the 370 and a 112 because its what il already have.. most bang for my buck i suppose

I would not hesitate to put a mild port on a 317 head for use with the Radix - the boost PSI number on the guage will go down a little because the induction is more efficient, but power at the crank will go up because the engine is processing more air/fuel - more power on less boost but if you are going to continue to use the Radix then I would not go any further than that. I'm just saying a little attention paid to properly matched heads & cam can really help, you'll get more bang out of that then spending that $1000 on a 4" crank instead and using stock induction.

Mr. P.

ok so basily keep the stock heads and do alil port work? instead of buyin heads?..what about valvetrain? do i need rockers and/or a vavles or anything or just clean them up and slapem on...

just out of curisity.. and one make and short or long block crate?...just curious..im sure i can build one cheaper then buyin one .. if i can pick this complete motor up a buddy has for 500 ... but im still curious what they run money wise

Just feeling the pain of you motor melt down.

your SS was one of the fastest without alot of the stuff you are talking about. So keep in mind gettnig her back together as it was will be a nice running truck.

I would reuse the rockers, you could check the valve guides, but for the most part if you are going to clean them up, then throw them back on. Yea you can get better valves. I agree with Mr P that a little work on the heads will help, but I dont think it will be major since you are FI, if anything it might make the blower have to work less???

Junk yard block (stock) + reworked heads + serviced maggie = back on the road and build up from there.

Check if your block is worth boring and start building a 408 block and you can see if you want to keep FI (which will be differet with a 408) or run NA...those choices will be made in the compression/pistons/heads of the future engine.

I hope this helps plan things out a bit.

Just feeling the pain of you motor melt down.

your SS was one of the fastest without alot of the stuff you are talking about. So keep in mind gettnig her back together as it was will be a nice running truck.

I would reuse the rockers, you could check the valve guides, but for the most part if you are going to clean them up, then throw them back on. Yea you can get better valves. I agree with Mr P that a little work on the heads will help, but I dont think it will be major since you are FI, if anything it might make the blower have to work less???

Junk yard block (stock) + reworked heads + serviced maggie = back on the road and build up from there.

Check if your block is worth boring and start building a 408 block and you can see if you want to keep FI (which will be differet with a 408) or run NA...those choices will be made in the compression/pistons/heads of the future engine.

I hope this helps plan things out a bit.

im starting to agree..might just buy the other motor..and check it over.. maybe a cam.. and drop it in..maybe alil head work.. or cam...not going got get the money back on taxes i thougth..thanks to a mess up in my taxes...grrr im gonna owe money..when i was suppost to get back 6 grand..damnit

thanks for checkin in zippy.. i was just about to call u and tell ya let s build soemthing nasty.. go figure i get the call from my cpa first..grr..i was pretty excited with the things i was going to be able to do with this years tax money and do on this truck... but once again.. if i didnt have bad luck i wouldnt have any at all...owell.. im gonna see if i can even come up with anuf money to forge out a stock one..:(

well i waited to long.. all the motors for 500 are gone.. i should have jumped on a few of them..owell.. thougth i had a good deal today.. buddy called and said had to complete motors that run great..one 41k for $ and one with 15 k for 1350...and i told him sold.. but there both lq4s...ughhh....all the lq9s are 2500 with 50+k im never gonna get this back togher..lol

well i waited to long.. all the motors for 500 are gone.. i should have jumped on a few of them..owell.. thougth i had a good deal today.. buddy called and said had to complete motors that run great..one 41k for $ and one with 15 k for 1350...and i told him sold.. but there both lq4s...ughhh....all the lq9s are 2500 with 50+k im never gonna get this back togher..lol

Take the LQ4 - they're identical to LQ9 except for different pistons.

Mr. P.

Take the LQ4 - they're identical to LQ9 except for different pistons.

Mr. P.

well ive been thinkin about that...the only diff is the CT is 9:4:1 instead of 10:0:1..which is only like 20 hp..but i guess what my question is.. would that lower CR make more of a difference(loss ) with the maggie on it? is that 20hp going to get multiplied under boost? 20hp is that bad.. for the money difference.. but its its gonna end up being 60 or 100 or somthing silly underboost then thats a no go in my mind...

is the crank and rod the same.. just as stong??

Edited by RICE EATER (see edit history)