Overheating And No Heater At -40

Well it's -40 and my truck decided that it wants to keep all of the heat to itself. The heater core is getting no heat and the neither is the radiator. She's overheated once or twice since the problem started but never tapped the gauge. Sometimes taking off the radiator cap will get things going again so I thought it was just air in the lines. The surge tank level is good. The thermostat is fairly new the old one went right before winter. I'm thinking it might be the water pump.

Any ideas? I'm freezin' up here?

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

:)

make sure your thermostat is not stuck closed, and see if there is water coming out of the weep hole on the water pump,if so the water pump is bad. you mentioned air in the system that can creat hot air pockets and alo cause overheating. after checking the previous things and they check out ok then try packing the radiator, with the truck in park get teh truck to normal operating temps then slowly remove the cap and hold the rpms above 2k while filling the tank with coolant until full and until no more air bubbles are seen. thats all i can think of

Hmmm well usually when I've ran into a bad water pump it would be making noise or frozen-up. I would say the thermostat is refusing to open, either there is an air pocket on the engine-side of the tstat, or the radiator-side is so cold as to keep it from opening. Either way you might try drilling a 1/8" hole in the plunger so that hot water & air is allowed to circulate even when the thermostat is closed. :confused:

Mr. P.

Hmmm well usually when I've ran into a bad water pump it would be making noise or frozen-up. I would say the thermostat is refusing to open, either there is an air pocket on the engine-side of the tstat, or the radiator-side is so cold as to keep it from opening. Either way you might try drilling a 1/8" hole in the plunger so that hot water & air is allowed to circulate even when the thermostat is closed. :confused:

Mr. P.

I think you might be on to something, it seems like when the engine is hot (block heater) and the ambient temperature is very cold is when this happens. You think it might be the differential in temperature between the engine and radiator

Plugged Heater Core or Radiator is also a possibility. You said the truck overheated, how bad? You could have fried your head gaskets too.........

Not too badly, the worst time was the only time it went from check temp to overheat, but I killed the engine and pushed it the rest of the way into the driveway.

Sounds to me like you have the coolant freezing up. If you take one of the hoses off I'd bet you find ice in them.

Could this have to do with the antifreeze mix

Eh heard the weather up there was bad... i would pull that thing in a garage and let it de thaw and see if it fixes it... its actually fixed a couple things for me when i was up there

I like that idea, and I wish I had a garage.

i've seen coolant un mixed with a freeze point at -60, the optimum here in vegas is -34. sounds to me like your water pump isn't pumping. get your truck to operating temp then feel the surge tank. engine overheating and heater core not getting any flow of coolant, sounds like a lack of flow to me. if it were a t stat you would still have cab heating.