Gas Octane?

lbslocal69

Just bought my truck (04 SS 120,000+miles)Friday from an individual. 37 miles range when I took posession, so first stop was fuel pumps. Had no idea 'till I flipped the fill door open and there was that big ole sitcker

PREMIUM FUEL ONLY
!! Figured, WTF,, I've just bought my first toy since the 70's (allways been a Ford man, BTW) If I can't afford to feed it, why'd I buy it? Stuck that PREMO nozzle in 'er and never gave it another thought.

Bob

bottom line is put the damn gas that is recommended for any car/truck and if $4 is what you want to save at the pump then buy a damn toyota or honda. . . . . . . .

I wish we had a gas station were I live that sold 93 all I can get is 91 I'll always purchase 91 or better.

@ 12'SROCK

Funny you mentioned toyota or honda.

My daughters last 3 cars, Honda Prelude, Boosted Civic & now Acura Rsx-s all require 93. Go figure.

As for Toyota's. *Shrugs, Dunno* never owned one LOL :cheers:

Tzer

She filled it with 87 thinking she was being nice!

Come to find out she has filled it with 87 a few times now.

3/4 tank to go.... ugh.

Go to the auto part store and get a bottle of octane booster, 1 bottle can boost octane as much as 2 points depending on concentration w/fuel..............

I wish we had a gas station were I live that sold 93 all I can get is 91 I'll always purchase 91 or better.

@ 12'SROCK

My daughters last 3 cars, Honda Prelude, Boosted Civic & now Acura Rsx-s all require 93. Go figure.

Tzer

lol. . . .yeah funny but i was refering to better MPG that the SS :chevy:

lol. . . .yeah funny but i was refering to better MPG that the SS :chevy:

True true you got me there. she's getting 30 MPG. WHOA!

Point is. if your spec's require 91+ do so no matter what your driving.

As mentioned. you can go 87 but your system is going to adjust, ping and use more fuel which =  less MPG's

Tzer

Go to the auto part store and get a bottle of octane booster, 1 bottle can boost octane as much as 2 points depending on concentration w/fuel..............

Just a note: I was reading those Octane Booster's at the parts store, and I found:

The ones that say "raise Octane 7 points", if you read the back, "7 points" does not even equall a 1 octane raise.

So the moral is 7 points is not 7 octane. Check it out next time, FYI anyWay

~Danny

@ 12'SROCK

Tzer

REQUIRE 93? They sell those cars here, the prelude and the Rsx-s the best we have is 91. Does it specify in your manual 93 cause mine says 91?

I've ran 87 in my truck and it did ping on me going over the bridge....so I only run 91.

My wife's Saab 9-3 specifies 91 octane........

REQUIRE 93? They sell those cars here, the prelude and the Rsx-s the best we have is 91. Does it specify in your manual 93 cause mine says 91?

I've ran 87 in my truck and it did ping on me going over the bridge....so I only run 91.

My wife's Saab 9-3 specifies 91 octane........

You got me on that one nxtnlne.

I stand corrected.

Manual says...

RSX-S, K20A2 needs "Fuel Type - Premium unleaded 91 octane or higher"

RSX, K20A3 needs "Fuel Type - Premium unleaded 86 octane or higher"

I guess I was just thinking 93 due to my daughter was complaining that the one station in town shut down that sold 93 and the only other one a few miles out of town removed their 93 and switched to Diesel.

Tzer

You got me on that one nxtnlne.

I stand corrected.

Manual says...

RSX-S, K20A2 needs "Fuel Type - Premium unleaded 91 octane or higher"

RSX, K20A3 needs "Fuel Type - Premium unleaded 86 octane or higher"

I guess I was just thinking 93 due to my daughter was complaining that the one station in town shut down that sold 93 and the only other one a few miles out of town removed their 93 and switched to Diesel.

Tzer

Wish I had a choice of 93, I bet it does make a difference!!! :driving:

I know there are people out there that think gas is gas no matter what, but people who have been around vehicles know that there is a difference in the octane and quality of the fuel. I for one run only Chevron in my truck, and ONLY premium fuel (which here in CA is only 91 octane). The $0.10 difference a gallon in Chevron and the corner mom and pop gas shop isn't worth it to me, especially after getting the tune.

Just a note: I was reading those Octane Booster's at the parts store, and I found:

The ones that say "raise Octane 7 points", if you read the back, "7 points" does not even equall a 1 octane raise.

So the moral is 7 points is not 7 octane. Check it out next time, FYI anyWay

~Danny

I just checked the bottle in my garage, and it says that it can boost up to 7 points, which means 1 octane level in up to 20 gallons of gas................so put 2 bottles in then :P

• 12 years later...