Which L92 Heads Would Be Best

I am close to getting the heads but I am confused to what would be best. I have see Livernois, PRC, SDPC, WCCH...right now the SDPC assembled ones for $549.99ea seem like the best but I am open to suggestions

FOr my mild set up which ones will best the best for both cost and completeness?

I dont want to go crazy on the lift of my cam, I would like to keep my shift points 6200-6500. I have been reading alot and it really seem like this is going to be the next wave of go fast stuff if you can get a good combination figured out, so what do you guys figure :cool:

pic of the intake to keep you interested

skiingloriscamera016.jpg

Edited by detjoe (see edit history)

I am close to getting the heads but I am confused to what would be best. I have see Livernois, PRC, SDPC, WCCH...right now the SDPC assembled ones for $549.99ea seem like the best but I am open to suggestions

FOr my mild set up which ones will best the best for both cost and completeness?

I dont want to go crazy on the lift of my cam, I would like to keep my shift points 6200-6500. I have been reading alot and it really seem like this is going to be the next wave of go fast stuff if you can get a good combination figured out, so what do you guys figure :cool:

pic of the intake to keep you interested

skiingloriscamera016.jpg

sdpc cnc'd version,upgrade the valves,and put some patriot gold springs should keep you deep into future hp's

remeber you are starting with a 6.0,any thing else will be hurting down low.....

the stock L92 valves don't hold up well to large lift cams,therefore the above mentioned valve and spring upgrade.

here are a few pic's of mine to keep you interested

CIMG8684.jpg

CIMG8686.jpg

BTW these are extreme overkill for your application

Ray

how about these injectors with the bigger orings??

Racetronix 48 lb/hr inj,rated at 3 bar (~43 psi) so they are about 55 lb/hrs on LSx applications

the specs are...kind of similar, different springs/valves. They make up some of the difference in the weak exhaust side. The ones Ray mentioned seem to fit the budget and are all that the Livernois ones are but cheaper. I am afraid with the 6.0L that the problems of these heads would be magnified with too much work dont to them.

And all the reading is saying a small cam, so I might have to see how bad my 224/224 does but I would rather get a cam spec'd for my truck, all the LS1tech guys are running little cars and vettes which is a tad bit different than getting a big heavy loaf of bread moving...And then I am scared to do all this and still run 14.flat :crackup: but it's about learning and doing things people have not done yet or else I might have well just saved more for a radix :sleep:

and usually this time of year it get so dead in here it is good to get people thinking about going faster :devil::driving:

I have read about the livernois stage 1,2,3. I have not read about the others. Do you have the stats?

I asked them to match the price of the SDPC CNC heads and they said the best they could do is $100 off, and $130 less w/o springs. That kind of put me off on them, I already felt they were pricy.

I would stick to the basics; meaning -

* the L92 heads breathe WAY different than the other LS cathedral-style heads, so the cam you pick is critical; lift and duration are not what matters in cam selection, oversimplified the important thing is the points at which the valves are opened and closed.

* I would get L92 heads that have been mildly ported on the exhaust-side - leave the intake side alone IMO.

* The intake manifold is the known sore-point with this cylinder head, a lot of L92 heads flow major air on the flowbench but when you strap the intake on it you see the torque curve typically plummet at 6000-rpm, although I have also seen a couple instances where the combination held on another couple hundred RPM.

* The factory L92 intake valves are HEAVY and this is going to be a major factor in your valvetrain component selection; I think the LS7 valves are lighter :confused: but I dunno about the costs or budget here.

So I would definitely get the heads & cam & valvetrain from a single knowledgeable source who has tested all these points in an end-to-end solution. I think the L92's have a ton of potential, but you've gotta cam 'em right. Of the vendors you mention I would call WCCH first.

Mr. P.

Been reading up on this....So much info that I could be confused, but I am under the impression the L92 heads do not fit the stock truck intake.

Looking around, I like the SLP ZL402 long block w/ # 51016 cam. But I really want this to be a simple deal...no intake manifold / TB ordeal. So, :confused: Can I use my factory intake with the L92 heads?

Been reading up on this....So much info that I could be confused, but I am under the impression the L92 heads do not fit the stock truck intake.

Looking around, I like the SLP ZL402 long block w/ # 51016 cam. But I really want this to be a simple deal...no intake manifold / TB ordeal. So, :confused: Can I use my factory intake with the L92 heads?

Nope!

I would just go with the L92 truck intake and a set of stock L92 heads with better valve springs. For a mild application it will be a big gain over the 317's and older truck intake as long as the cam selection is correct.