Transmission build-up

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Scheduled to go in the 15th to have everything put in. Said that I could watch. I'm really interested to see how well everything has been holding up. Been testing out quite a few tunes here lately and doing quite a bit of hard running. Maybe they won't mind if I take a few pics along the way. Can't wait to "test" it out :D

• 2 weeks later...

Well, finally got my tranny work done today. It took from 9am until about 5:30pm. A few problems trying to put in some of the parts I left out of my shift kit and put in the new hard parts. Anyway, all is back together and working great.

All my stock parts still look pretty good. You could see a couple of hot spots on a couple of steels in the 3-4. One major thing was the cracked piston in the accumolator. It's that plastic piece. Cracked in three places along the center hole. Also, on the underside of that same piece where there are round bumps (my description) going all the way around the thing, they were nearly all wore off. And from that, there were shavings of plastic in the accumolator casing. So, glad to have gotten to that before that plastic piece actually gave way. Had no other issues. Fluid smelled brand new and was a bright red as normal. New fluid is almost a grenn color. Seems to have brought the temps down about 15 degrees. Temp was 157 (read from what i think was a tech II) after running pretty hard, driving around and testing out.

I'll post a few pics tomorrow. Kind of tired right now. Didn't get too many shots and will include one of the cracked piston. Supercharged guys, especially those with hard banging shift kits, may want to look into replacing that piece before it ka-booms on you.

• 6 months later...

Ben, I was wondering when you got these parts for your tranny build, was your trans a stock 4l65e? I'd like to say that Zippy and you did a good job of discussing these items. I'd like to build my tranny "bullet proof". So far all I've done to it is a shift kit and billit servos, other than that, a stock 4l65e. Is there anythink you recomend doing or not doing? Any for sure parts to buy? Thanks.

the stock 4L65E is pretty good. upgrading the clutches and band alone with the parts you already have is a good start. you may want to look into the upgraded input drum for the style with the collar around the input shaft. it is breakable even on the 65E.

btw, i'm not sure if ben has power or internet back up and running yet.... it was a touch windy around his house recently. :jester:

thanks zippy. do you recomend any other parts, such as that metal accumulator piston? i'm hoping to get this truck in the 11's someday. i'd like to order all my parts tomarrow if i can get the entire list. hopefully i'll only have the tranny built once before those 11's. :D

btw, sorry to here about ben, i forgot where he lived. :(

the metal accumulator piston is a good idea especially if you are running a transgo shift kit. i have not ran into a problem with them personally at this point, but they have been a problem on some. are you going to stay with a stock torque converter?

i have the stock one in now. i still have that 2800 stall, but it was stalling around 3400, a little to high for me for towing and driving over hills. i will mostlikely keep the stock one in, but i dont want to rule out a 2400 possibly in the future.

if you do buy another converter, i'd recomend a vigilante. unfortunatly running one that you buy as an off the shelf converter is going to stall too high behind a radix truck to make it worth it. the vigilante i installed in a radix SS truck stalled right at around the 2800 it was built to stall at. they are also 10.5 inch triple disc converters that can take the power without issue's. the main idea behind using that converter besides it's quality is how well the stall speed matches what you ordered it for. they build them with your vehicle specs and in turn it makes the converter do what you wanted it to do, not just how it turns out. using a little higher stall also takes off some of the shock load a low stall converter can cause on the shifts.

i talked to PATC today and got a good list from them. i'm going to order it mostlikely on tuesday or wednesday. they wrote it up today, but they were out of stock on one part ( out of florida). they said it should be in next week. i'll place my order then. :thumbs:

Archived