How To: Make Your Own Intake- Easy

Turbocoop

I bought one like this for my SS about a year ago,,I assume it serves the same purpose and it comes complete with a heat sheild type box,,,I'm not sure if this is the same guy I got mine from but it looks like it may be,,,Says $82.00 obo.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/99-06-SILVE...sQ5fAccessories

I bought one like this for my SS about a year ago,,I assume it serves the same purpose and it comes complete with a heat sheild type box,,,I'm not sure if this is the same guy I got mine from but it looks like it may be,,,Says $82.00 obo.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/99-06-SILVE...sQ5fAccessories

Thanks for the link. I'll probably go with this. How do you like yours?

Thanks for the link. I'll probably go with this. How do you like yours?

I'd buy one again if I needed another, Seems to be well built, after a year of pretty hard driving it has never give me any reasons not to like it, I Think it was a good buy,,,prolly doesn't block out as much engine heat as some of the more expensive ones but at less than a 3rd of the price I can deal with that.

Would using 4" exhaust tubing for the intake tube pose any problems? I have some extra tubing from my supercharged truck's intake and I'm thinking about making an intake for the SS. Just wondering if that tubing rusts or retains heat before I do it.

Would using 4" exhaust tubing for the intake tube pose any problems? I have some extra tubing from my supercharged truck's intake and I'm thinking about making an intake for the SS. Just wondering if that tubing rusts or retains heat before I do it.

you should be fine with a 4" tube, just paint or powder coat it

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice write up.I wouldn't go crazy looking for a shroud/box for the filter.If you do a before and after test,I dought you would see any worth while difference.Once you are moving the outside cooler air is blowing the hot engine air back away from the filter.The box that comes with a lot of the cold air kits helps to keep the noice down.I've seen some very fast cars with wide open air filters that were a lot closer to the motor then this setup.