How To: Make Your Own Intake- Easy

Turbocoop

I wasnt about to pay $200+ for a K&N thats exactly the same as this so I made my own:

Parts:

4" 45deg bend w/ 8" legs

90deg 4" coupling

4" to 3.75" adapter (for MAFS)

You will also need a cone air filter with a 4" inlet, I used a K&N I had laying around.

And you will need some screw type hose clamps, you can use some of the stock ones, I think I had to buy 3 extras total.

It was really easy it only took about 30 minutes total to install:

WARNING: I am not responsible if you hurt yourself because there is some cutting you must do with a razor blade and it is dangerous if you dont know what youre doing. Always cut with the blade facing away from you and keep your fingers away from it!

1. Remove the IM cover. Take off all the stock intake stuff, including the airbox and the little metal tray that was under it so you get more airflow to the filter from outside. Unplug the MAFS.

2. Cut the 90deg coupling so there is only about 1" left on one side, enough so it will slip onto the TB and you can tighten it down(you probably dont have to do this if you have e-fans, but I did). Save the leftover 4" rubber piece, you will use it later. I used a razor to cut it too but be very careful.

3.Eyeball where the coupling will hit the fan shroud and cut it carefully with a razor knife, I got lucky and got it on the first time.

4.Cut about 3 3/4" length off one end of the metal pipe, that will be the side the MAFS goes on so mark it somehow.

5.The 4" to 3 3/4" adaper slides onto the MAFS on the TB side, I think I had to wrap a few layers of tape around the MAFS so it fit on there snugly. Then that gets attached to the end of the metal pipe with that leftover 4" rubber piece you cut off of the 90deg coupling.

6.Now you can either attach the air filter to the other side of it and put it all in together, or put it in like it is then attach the air filter once the pipe is installed. Either way just snug down the hose clamps and test fit everything, then you can move it around to where you want it and tighten them down.

I am going to make some kind of bracket for the filter cause it moves around a little bit. Ill post that up when I do something. If you have any questions PM me

2129188116_6584b0470f.jpg

2129176936_5d2772e802.jpg

2128398793_f6bbd5bf8c.jpg

Nice little writeup. Like said above, get some sheetmetal/aluminum and cut a hole in it for the tube to pass through and seal that area off.

Also, what was the reasoning for using mild steel tubing instead of polished aluminum? I think you can find some nice polished aluminum tubing on ebay and other places. I'm just asking, not criticizing.

Found some on ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-0-x-45-AI...ksid=p1638.m118

Edited by Black2003SS (see edit history)

yeah ive been thinking of making a heat shield for it, I just dont have access to a brake anymore so I dont want to try to bend it in a vice cause it will look like ass. Ill think of something though. Im gonna take a trip to home depot today.

And I only did it in mild steel cause I was gonna paint it black anyway- I kinda got an all black theme going with my truck

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
The links are up there in the first post

Great write up! I can't seem to buy the intake pipe from that web site. Do you know anywhere else I can pick one up? Also Do you have the part number on the filter?