Boom! Son Of A B***h

so if i didnt have bad luck i wouldnt have any at all.. i wasnt even going to drive the SS is the winter..but the trans went out in my denali.. and so i had nothin else to drive..so i stop and fill the SS up and didnt relize i hit the wrong button and filled reg 87 in and not prem..so i like well il just be carefull didnt think this trucks would be that sensitive as long as im some what carefull

so i go drive around alittle while to burn alittle out and fill it back up with prem.. so i drive around for awhile.. and then deside to head home. on my way i get in to some traffic on the highway.. and with another silverado i just hang on his bumper i dont wanna beat on it to much i started to hear alittle pingin so i take it easy.. no more then 1/2 throtle then BooM!!! i look in my mirror and black smoke..i pull over pop the hood hopin for just a belt or something.. but i know better blew the oil dipstick out of the tube.. and puked oil all over the hood..

so i call a buddy with a tow truck get it home.. and start riping in to it..i cant even turn it over by key/ starter.. or with a braker bar so i start pullin plugs..Number 6 plug a mess so i stoped pullin them.. and started to pull the blower off and then the valve covers.. but never doin this before and i didnt do the install its takin longer then i would like.. but i got the blower loose but havent got it out yet i didnt have the fuel line disconnect tool so im thinking thats what was holding it up.. as soon as i get home il start again.. and il keep ya updated and pics.. but i think its a lost cause..

.121907_15101.jpg

121807_17141.jpg

Edited by RICE EATER (see edit history)

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OWCH!!!!! I would've siphoned all that junk out, or bought a ton of additive to try and bring the octane up to safe levels...

Let us know what it turns out be, but it sounds like you got some nasty knock, and by the oil from the exhaust, it sounds to me like one of your pistons went buh-bye...

Take lots of pics and keep us updated!

thanks.. ya thats what i was thinking.. first i thought it was just a valve.. but sence i cant turn it over..im thinkin no more piston.. the lower octane fuel is the only thing i can think off.. but i havent had the truck that long so im not sure.. but i didnt think it would be that sensitve that it would pop that fast and easy... but maybe it was just a freak thing

thanks.. i just wish this would have happened alittle later.. not during holiday times.. so i could have had time and money to build it up alittle better..like a 370 and cam and heads or soemthing..lol not just have to put it back together to get to work.. i hate that..

sound slike there is more to the culprit, i dont think that little amount of detonation could have caused such a catastrophic failure in that short amount of time, if it was indeed a piston it was bound to happen .

sound slike there is more to the culprit, i dont think that little amount of detonation could have caused such a catastrophic failure in that short amount of time, if it was indeed a piston it was bound to happen .

i was just going to say the exact same thing.

What was the outside temp? Just curiouse? I'm thinking these blower companies dont do alot of R&D in cold Climate.

My truck Gernaded the #7 cylinder with a Vortech's kit. Vortech's tune. completely stock motor, not even a CAI.?

My truck Has more miles on a Roll back, then on the truck.

BTW, the warenty claim was denied, and vortech was absolutely no help after my claim denial.(They do not back there product)

~Danny

You cant beat on these blowers in cold weather. The tunes just simply dont compensate. We would blow motors in the codl weather all the time on our grand prixs, we would go up in pulley size, not down, and tune rich. Alot also has to do with how rapidly the engines heat up with a supercharger. Much faster than the stock engines. This can cause all kinds of warping and distortion of the cylinder walls etc. I NEVER floo rmy truck until it warms up to operating temps, I try to not even go half throttle and stay out of boost completely.

Sounds like you destroyed a piston and I agree that it was probably coming and may not be related to the octane and cold air, but I am sure it might have speed things up by a few miles possibly.

ok so i got the blower off lastnite. :banghead: . and looks for sure to be a pistion i tried to take a few pics.. but didnt turn out to great. looking down the runner of #6 u can see all the chunks of pistion on top of the valve..

121907_23161.jpg

121907_23171.jpg

121907_23071.jpg

imagejpeg_0.jpg

my next worry.. is if some of the chucks got up in to the blower.. if they could have done any damage :puke::puke: i could see a few little pieces but ive never had a blower apart so im not sure if its possible fo them to get up anywhere or not at all and the would just stay in the bottom of the intake..i guess i need to pull it apart and see what i can find out..