How to purchase limited production vehicles

dcairns

Has anybody here ever bought a limited production vehicle before? I am wondering how this deal will work when I get to the dealer. I am assuming I will have to order my Silverado SS and wait a while for it to come in.

Any luck negotiating on the price?

Is it better to wait several months after they start making them, in hopes of getting a better price or would I risk being on a waiting list longer than the production run?

Any traps to look out for, like extra charges that get added just before you take delivery of the truck?

Thanks -Dave

Good question, because many dealers will try to tell you that you have to pay that price because its numbers might be limited, but you don't. Find it somewhere on the internet if they wont deal with you or show them what price you can get it for on the internet at another dealer.

Go to other sites or ask around this one. I would imagine that one of leading corvette dealerships would be good to work with. Or if you have a dealer that you know. I have a dealer that I use and I will probably go in and tell them that I want it for $500 over costs(dealer). I think you said in another tread that the dealer you talked to said $36-$37, so Iwould think possibly $34-$35 range.

It helps if you have a relationship with the dealership. My family has bought 8 vehicles from one dealership, plus my aunt and uncle are head of the service department, so I know that I don't get screwed when something needs fixed.

Mark

• Admin

If you are seriously thinking about buying a SilveradoSS, act now. Try to find a dealership that moves a large amount of trucks. The more trucks they move, the more allocations they will have for the SS.

Also, don't be afraid to look nationally!

I know of one fellow, Ron Pauly with the TheVetteNet.com, who knows a large amount of dealerships, and good ones at that. Ron could be of assistance to you. B)

Yes, I was definitely going to check on some of the internet buying sites (cars direct, autobytel, etc). I would actually prefer to buy it that way, as I see less room for dealer monkey business. If nothing else, the internet dealers will give me leverage to get the dealer down from MSRP.

My local Chevy dealer here in Orange (Selman) does sell a lot of trucks and the guy I talked to their sounded really excited about the SS and said they would definitely be getting them.

I don't think I can look nationally, as I need the California-emmisions-nazi-compliant version of the truck, and I seem to recall they only sell them in California. Not a real problem though. I have 5 dealers in easy driving distance here in Orange County and many more in LA, Riverside, San Bernadino Counties that would work for me. Sometimes living in the SoCal megalopolis has it's advantages :)

I guess the hard part of this poker game is deciding when to order. Order early and be assured a truck or wait and maybe get a better price, but take the chance of missing out entirely :(

Right now I am just anxiously awaiting the pricing to be announced so I can build my order and start shopping it at the internet sites and or dealer.

Mervz- feel free to pass my email address along to your friend. I would be interested if he could be of assistance.

-Dave

Or...... you could wait. Odds are there will be an early rush for those who need to be the first on the block with one. Cost is no object to these guys. Then, the word gets out that the next year is going to have a __________ (fill in the blank with more HP or bigger whatevers). Plus, I think there is a group of folks who want to wait for a second year so the bugs are out. By the end of the first model year, there's usually some left around, even those driven by owners and managers as demos. You can scoop one up then for a good price and still be able to enjoy a new truck.

Am I full of it? Well, I was able to do exactly that. The '01 C3's became '02 Denali's with Qsteer and there was one leftover near me. After a $10K discount, it was mine. Granted, the C3 wasn't truely limited (as in Pace Cars, for example), but honestly, I think the SS will be in the same category as the C3, not the pace cars. So, there are some of those kind of deals and I expect the same for the SS.

Disagreeing (not disagreable) replies always welcome.

Randy

Polo Green C3

I honestly think that if you wait that you will be able to find one. GM has already mentioned making improvements and many people are not happy with its performance. I have a problem believing that it will be hard to get your hands on one. When has it been a problem with any other GM cars/trucks lately. Except for possibly the SSR, but its numbers are going to be a lot more limited.

Mark

Ya, but why would you want one :D How limited number were they? Plus I think there was a lot bigger demand for them than will be with the SS. You have a lot of die-hard corvette people out their. I have not owned a corvette yet, and I was really excited about the possibility of them coming out and getting one, but was not impressed. I would rather have an EB Z06.

Archived