A Couple Of Cam Install Questions

Before you guys tell me to use the search button...I did. I found the following three articles:

5.3 Silverado Cam Install

F-Body Cam and Valvespring Swap

LS1Tech Cam Guide

The questions I have were not answered.

1. Do I need to remove the electric fans, AC condenser, radiator, or grill to do a cam swap?

2. Do I need to drop the oil pan?

I am trying to gauge the difficulty, but want information specific to our trucks. The Silverado cam swap article did not say much as far as steps.

Mike

Before you guys tell me to use the search button...I did. I found the following three articles:

5.3 Silverado Cam Install

F-Body Cam and Valvespring Swap

LS1Tech Cam Guide

The questions I have were not answered.

1. Do I need to remove the electric fans, AC condenser, radiator, or grill to do a cam swap?

2. Do I need to drop the oil pan?

I am trying to gauge the difficulty, but want information specific to our trucks. The Silverado cam swap article did not say much as far as steps.

Mike

You have to get the radiator out, when pulling the cam it will almost touch the condenser

No, the oil pan stays on. You will remove two of it bolts when removing the timing front cover. Stuff a red rag in there so you dont drop anything in the oil pan.

DO NOT FOGET TO REMOVE IT WHEN YOU ARE PUTTING IT BACK TOGETHER!

For the truck it is just like the car, execpt you have more room for the rear valve springs.

GM sells a cam swap kit, its in the perfparts cataloge.

hope this helps, when doing it dont rely on searchs...ask so you can get it right. It is doable in a driveway.

good luck

Another trick is to jack up the front of the truck and remove the front wheels. Then lower the truck back down as far as you can. This will make things easier to reach during the install.

CD

thats a good one, my ribs would have thanked you for that one. :chevy:

If you are not using the pen magnet idea for the lifters, get yourself a couple of them anyway. When you release pressure on the spring and the locks loosen up, reach in with the magnet and it will pull them right out. Keeps you from dropping them onto the head also. I don't remember that in that article.

You can even replace the oil pump and not drop the oil pan. You will have to loosen every bolt and tip it down though.

Pick up a few of the clips that are on your tranny lines where they meet the radiator. It will save yourself some heartache and frustration if you drop and loose one. Zippy can hook you up with the part number.

it is neccesarry to remove the e-fans, but that takes not even 5 minutes. the radiator does not need to be removed, just have a friend lift it up a foot or so while you slide the cam out. also, just take the valve covers off, remove the rocker arms and you wont have to worry about the lifters falling as long as you are careful. you will need an alignment tool tho, to place the timing cover back on correctly

you will need an alignment tool tho, to place the timing cover back on correctly

explain please? recommended or mandatory??

I just tipped it forward and started the bottom two, then started the rest, then snugged them down.

Benkey in the house :flag: