Sign in to follow this  
Black2003SS

I'm So Wishy Washy About A Career

Career  

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ok...So I was in engineering for about 3 years and never finished my ME degree (I was about 9 classes away...made senior status). Then I moved on to a business marketing degree only to get within 12 classes of that degree. I have about 135 credits...enough to have A degree...lol. So I finally settled on a general studies degree in which I only have to complete 6 classes. I have seriously been thinking of moving onto law school as the 6 classes I have selected are basically pre-law requirements. I know I have to take the LSAT's this next summer.

After engineering, I moved into a sales and sales management because I was good at it. The truth is I am kind of tired of selling. I have been in financial sales for about 3 years in the mortgage industry as my last gig. I am approaching 29 years old and have not made up my mind of what I want to be when I grow up! As I am getting older, I am also realizing that money isnt everything. I have money. I make almost 6 figures as it is, but yet I am unhappy in my career. And the money is in consistant with the constant market swings. My parents are well to do and so is my grandmother, and I am an only grand child...enough said.

So here is my dilema...I dont really knwo what to do.

Here are my options that I have chosen:

1. Law school (most likely) - 3yrs plus to complete, no gurantee of a job. Looking to do corporate law, not criminal. Is it boring?

2. Michigan State Police (starts at $41k and after 5 years make $59k...not too bad of a living) Steady income, not stuck at a desk, retirement plan, not cyclical to market conditions, overtime available. Down side? Fixed income, not much room for growth to my knowledge. Can a state trooper ever get near six figures after 15-20years? I guess its something you dont do for the money, which I wouldnt be doing. I do like helping people...although it is ironic because I usually despise/dislike the police for the corruptness and unethicl behavior which seems to be more and more common. I think corruption is more within city police than state as every state trooper I have ever met has been more professional.

3. Military officer (marines, navy, army) - This is almost a non-option as I approach the age limits. Army said they will make an exception for being 29+ when I complete my degree. Pay is same as state trooper for the most part. Starting out low 40's and mid 60-70k after 5 years...steady retirement etc.

4. Stay in sales and keep submitting as the slave to all mighty dollar.

I guess I should clarify that I am smart and I know I am talented, I jsut cant make a commitment (this coming from my girlfriend who says I will never marry her...lol...I guess I am afraid of commitment).

Oh well...any and all advice will be taken. Flak away!

Edited by Black2003SS

If you were my son, I would recommend two things: first complete a degree in something, you are so close, because it proves that you can stick with something all the way to the end; second sit down and think about what your true professional passion is. The degree will get you your first job; what you can do will get you all of the rest of the jobs. My father was a Doctor, but he never once suggested that I do the same; find your passion and the money will come!

Not to be mean, but I think your GF does have a point, commitment is a strong virtue in Business. My first choice would be to hire a guy who honored his commitments (even though it might have meant a personal sacrifice). Being that you are single, now is the time to finish up what ever college courses are required (once you are married, and/or have dependants, there will never seem to be enough time). There are programs, like University of Phoenix, that can allow you to finish your degree without going full time.

It would be well worth the effort to seek out professionals in the industries you are interested in and ask a few pointed questions. Like: would you do it again, how does this job impact your family, does the job require that I spend long times away from home? It is one thing to have a wife and a family; it is another to be home enough to keep them.

Not to tell you what to do, but having a stable job, now, shows your next employer what your are capable of and can give you the opportunity to receive the education to make any other career a possiblity.

Why don't you do the easiest thing...go back to school and finish one of your degrees!? You are so close, why would you quit? Even if I hated it, I would still finish it out. A degree is better than no degree at all.

As far as corporate law, you might want to research your careers more carefully rather than just jumping in head first. It is extremely boring, for the most part you are looking over contracts for corporations. I interned with PNC Bank in Pittsburg with their corporate law department. That has changed my mind about going to law school. Depending on your cumulative GPA, you will need a very high score on your LSAT exam to get into a good law school. I have the GPA and have the LSAT score, but I realized that going to law school was just not for me because am not the right stuff I guess, yeah the money is good..but what good is it when you are miserable and working 50-60 hour weeks!?

Sure, my degree will be a Political Science Major with History and Pre-Law as minors, but I will also graduate with a liberal arts degree. I already know what I am going to be doing once I graduate and have the connections formed that will likely get me my dream job. Like me, you have to do what makes you happy in the long run, and I just decided that law school/law career wasn't the right decision for me.

Edited by KissMySilvSS

My 82 year old grandmother told me the other day at lunch she still doesn't know what she wants to be when she grows up. She had about 6 totally different careers, so don't sweat it. I'm kinda in the same boat as you, pretty close to a couple degrees, a nice safety net, and burned out on sales. I've just started training to become a commercial pilot, and plan on quitting my job within the next month or so to pursue it full time. So man if you've got the ability figure out what is really fun for you and you would want to do everyday. Then figure out how to make a living doing it.

Michigan State Police (of course)

To many benifits to fill you in on ... It's a great career to choose ... lots of fun, always changing, never dull.

PM if you want to more!!!!