4.8 Cam Swap

I have a 2001 Chevy Silverado with a 4.8. I have read all over the internet about the piston slap/lifter tick but no one seems to know for sure what it is. I don't think it's piston slap on my truck or at least I think it is weird that only one piston would have this problem. My guess is that one of my lifters is loosing its prime and ticking until the oil thins out. Anyway, I am going to replace the lifters and cam. Only mods are a Hypertech Programmer (Just to get rid of governer), K/N air filter in stock box, everything else is stock. This truck is not a racers by any means, I have a drag car for that. I just want a cam/lifter kit that can be installed without exhaust/intake upgrades. New to the newer model engines and wanted some opinions.

Yeah i'm looking for a cam. Like I said this isn't going to be a racers truck but no slow poke either. In the future I plan on headers, CAI, and a good tune. For now though I can only afford the cam/lifters.

I want a cam that I can run now without a whole bundle of other mods. I drive this truck around town with maybe a back street race or two.

• 2 weeks later...
yep you need a stall converter that is matched to your cam specs as well as truck specs

not necessarily right away.. but, if you want the most out of the cam a tc matched for the cam will yield better & more efficient power.

i was thinking maybe an ls6 cam for a cheap upgrade for now.. you shouldn't have to upgrade anything else right now if you go with something like that.