Another Rattle Fix

deezel

Ok guys, I have had the passenger rear door rattle for a while now. So, I finally decided to pop the door panel off and see what's in there.

To remove door panel, remove 2 screws in armrest. Remove bezel around the door handle - pry carefully with a screwdriver. Then carefully pry the edges of the panel from the door (I used my fingers). Its held in by clips around the edges.

Here's what I found. The rod that goes from the handle to the upper latch is loose. There is a piece of foam in there that's supposed to take care of the rattle, but mine has such a deep groove in it that the rod is loose. I suppose wear from use could cause this, but it seems like it shouldn't be too hard to design a more effective damper (psst, GM... hint, hint). Here's a pic.

latchrod1.jpg

To fix this, I used a small piece of foam insulation and taped it over the rod to hold the rod securely between the two pieces of foam. To do this you need to carefully peel back the plastic moisture barrier (seen in first pic) to get at the rod. Here's a pic after I taped the extra foam piece on there.

latchrod2.jpg

Seems to have worked pretty well. That particular noise went away. Now I can hear the back seat squeak when I go over rough spots... :sigh:

Nothing the up arrow on the steering wheel can't fix. :D

:cheers:

Archived