Dyno runs from my 04 SS

I will have to look up the magnaflow part # we used. Some friends and I at a local shop got bored on night and found one he had there (he does custom exhausts on trucks) so I will have to look it up.

There are some dynos that you can put on the brake and it will calculate drivetrain losses, but I think that 20% is a fair if not conservative #. I have access to an engine dyno, but really don't want to pull the motor in my truck just to find out for sure :)

Later,

Bryan

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
sorry, 6.0L HO engine, with no bolt ons, just tuning, there we go, didn't mean to mislead you.

I just haven't seen to many SS dyno graphs posted here, that's all I was implying.

Please re-post on this thread! Thanks

I think we've seen two now. The one I posted several months ago (that had heads, cam, JBAs and a flowmaster muffler) and these.

I didn't mean to offend you Allen, just trying to figure out how you got 400.

Here is what I know: This dyno was done with the front shaft removed. The truck was tuned with LS1 edit. It shows 356 hp. But this truck just had a BIG cam (peak is near 6000) and a good set of heads installed. Granted, the heads / cam really needed long tube headers, a good exhaust and intake to show the biggest gains. It had a flowmaster muffler and JBA headers. This head cam package is usually good for 70+ hp on a fully modded LS1. Going off the 320s HP with tuning and a muffler this truck only gained 30 hp with heads cam and the JBA headers. I find that 30 HP gain too low. So I guess we'll just say there was alot left in the tuning, even though it was 12.8:1 - 13:0 air fuel ratio and running upper 20s timing. Other bolt-ons would help those numbers alot.

ssdyno.jpg

It was a dual 2.5" in and a single 3" out. We cut out the stock muffler and the little y pipe GM put in to Y the two exits into one for the rear exit. With the dual 2.5" coming into the muffler and the one 3" exit I really honestly can't see the need to replace anything but the muffler, that is plenty of enough pipe for our power levels.

Later,

Bryan

Bryan,

Someone mentioned you had a Dynojet graph on the SS2004 so I just had to look.

I don't know how this was done, but either the dyno is miscalibrated or this isn't an actual graph.

HP / Torque numbers always cross at 5252 RPM--regardless of dyno type.

The Dyno chart posted by "Big Tex" is more representative of a correct chart.

Lyndon

www.ecmprogrammer.com

Good catch Lyndon. I should have caught that too.

Just an FYI to anyone who wants to know why Lyndon made that statement:

(taken from revsearch HP vs TQ article)

The word horsepower was introduced by James Watt, the inventor of the steam engine in about 1775. Watt learned that "a strong horse could lift 150 pounds a height of 220 feet in 1 minute."

Now if we are measuring torque and RPM how can we calculate horsepower? Where does the equation HP=TORQUE * RPM / 5252 come from? We will use Watts observation of one horsepower as 150 pounds, 220 feet in one minute. First we need express 150 pounds of force as foot pounds torque.

Pretend the force of 150 pounds is "applied" tangentially to a one foot radius circle. This would be 150 foot pounds torque.

Next we need to express 220 feet in one minute as RPM.

The circumference of a one foot radius circle is 6.283186 feet. ft. (Pi x diameter 3.141593 * 2 feet)

The distance of 220 feet, divided by 6.283185 feet, gives us a RPM of 35.014.

We are then talking about 150 pounds of force (150 foot pounds torque), 35 RPM, and one horsepower.

Constant (X) = 150 ft.lbs. * 35.014 RPM / 1hp

35.014 * 150 / 1 = 5252.1

5252 is the constant.

So then hp = torque * RPM / 5252

Torque will always be higher than HP below 5252 rpms, and HP will always be higher after 5252 rpms. 5252 is the point where HP and TQ are the same value.

Humm, well I'm very skeptical. 30RWHP with tuning? The Z06 is in the 335-345 range with a stick. I have not see anyone gain anything close to those #'s on a stock Z06 with programing. Plus the Z does it at a higher RPM

A regular C5 A4 will be in the 290s to very low 300's.

So basically take a LS6 add a few cubic inches, a whimpy cam, a restrictive exhaust, 20" wheels, lower compression add some programming and you've got a stronger motor?

That much playing with the Timing and Fuel ? Almost to good to be true.

GM has the Z06 pcm pretty much done, it's badass. When tuning a Z06, you're doing good if you improve performance around 15hp. The trucks on the other hand are completely different. I have no idea why GM detunes these trucks. My only guess would be to save the drivetrain, increase HP each year, ahahha, and to make it a more civilized vehicle in traffic.

allen

Just for grins, I loaded Edit to compare the timing of my stock SS and an 03 6 liter HD. The SS actually had much better timing than the HD did. That explains part of the 345 HP increase, the other part being the LQ9. But since it had good timing to start with (not great), I doubt that 30 hp would be had with tuning. The HD on the other hand could gain more since its timing was lower to start with. I'll dig a little deeper tonight.

After I did the runs (yes it is a dynojet we are using) I emailed the runs to myself from our dyno in Philly to my home office here in Reading. I then used dynojets runviewer to make those graphs. I looks as though due to the scaling it has moved the graphs (notice is scales HP and Torque on different scales one is 350 and the other is 400) On the ones I have straight from the dyno they are both scaled the same. I have the actual printouts straight from the dyno here and and they all cross at 5250 as expected. I will go buy a scanner and get these printouts scanned to post them. I can also post the runs in dynojets format for anyone that wants to look at them with the dynojet run viewer if they like. They also have air/fuel ratios on them as well which is beneficial. There is nothing underhanded about these runs and my truck is more than available to be spun on any other dyno at any time if anyone wants to verify. I will get these scanned and posted as fast as possible though and they also show the exact times the runs were made instead of the time that I downloaded them from my email.

Thanks,

Bryan

Yes, the more that I am looking at the graphs the dynojet run viewer downloadable from their site is starting the graphs at odd points (note the one starts at -200 HP) I am playing with it trying to figure that out to get it to display correctly. I'm surprised some of the experts didn't notice this.... Sounds to me like sour grapes, but I do have the proof here and my truck is available to be dynoed at any time on another dyno.

The Z06 is a finely tuned motor. The 6.0 was not. I typically see Z06 cars stock from 335HP to 350HP at the wheels. My truck peaked at 327with a muffler swap, programming and cold air tube. Z06 cars with the same equipment will typically pull 375 to the wheels, or almost 50 HP more at the wheels. Some of that is the difference in losses between the M6 and the A4, but the rest is HP.

I will work on scanning these runs as soon as possible and in the meantime work on getting the dynojet runviewer to display them correctly.

Also for my background the forums at www.impalassforum.com and www.camaroz28.com/messagebd can be searched for pcmforless to see my reputation with those crowds.

Thanks,

Bryan

Archived