Dyno runs from my 04 SS

Yes, the 6.0 has a lot of potential.  I have heard the new c6 may run a 6 liter.  We are thinking of a cam and some slight head work next on the truck to see the results. 

I think as it is it should easily run a mid 14 if not better.

Later,

Bryan

tuning, and a cam and slight head work, I would guess high 13's in good weather. with all the boltons/converter mid 13's.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, the 6.0 has a lot of potential.  I have heard the new c6 may run a 6 liter.  We are thinking of a cam and some slight head work next on the truck to see the results. 

I think as it is it should easily run a mid 14 if not better.

Later,

Bryan

tuning, and a cam and slight head work, I would guess high 13's in good weather. with all the boltons/converter mid 13's.

Been there, done that. Without any head work that is.

Just an FYI - I had LS1 edit before any other mod on my truck. Initially, I raised shift points, upped timing, and lowered torque management. I took it to the 1/8th mile track with only 1000 mles and ran a 10.00 Maybe with some more break in miles it would be better.

GM says the C6 will have the LS2 motor. Aluminum 6 liter block, same bore and stroke that we have. Standard vette rated at 400 hp. Z06 version to be released later with more HP.

Hi,

Yes, we did pull the front driveshaft and had no issues at all.

Thanks,

bryan

Hi guys, just a word of warning: DO NOT DYNO THIS TRUCK ON A 2WD DYNO!

Here is some Technical info on the NVG149 Transfercase From GM Service:

"The NVG 149 RPO NP3 is a single speed, single mode transfer case. The mode is full-time all wheel drive. It has a planetary differential gear set that splits the torque, normally 38 percent to the front wheels and 62 percent to the rear wheels."

-- More from GM Service --

"The NVG 149 utilizes magnesium housings. Proper fasteners, brackets, and fill/drain plugs must be used to prevent galvanic corrosion. The planetary differential uses the carrier (6) as the input. The annulus gear (4) connects to the rear output shaft (5) and rear wheels. The sun gear (3) connects to the front output shaft (7) and front wheels through the chain (8) and sprockets. The viscous coupling (2) consists of a sealed housing filled with a high viscosity silicone fluid and thin steel plates alternately splined to the inner and outer drum. The inner drum is connected to the input shaft (1), and the outer drum to the sun gear (3). Whenever there is a speed difference between the front and rear wheels, the inner and outer plates of the viscous coupling spin relative to each other and the silicone fluid provides resistance. The resistance was tuned to be high enough to bias power quickly to the wheels with traction, and low enough to prevent binding in a tight turn on dry surfaces. This is the most common way the viscous coupling is activated, the shear mode. If the speed difference is high, the coupling can lock or hump. This "hump" occurs when the heat generated, expands the fluid inside the housing, changing the fluid dynamics between the plates. This results in pressure between the plates, forcing them into contact with each other, similar to a clutch pack. In the hump mode, the coupling can bias torque 100 percent to one axle, if required. Situations requiring this are extreme such as backing up a steep gravel grade or climbing over off-road obstacles. The viscous coupling is not serviceable; it must be replaced if defective. This is because each viscous coupling is calibrated for optimum vehicle performance for both the shear and hump modes. If the viscous coupling is in the "hump" mode too long, severe damage will occur. To prevent damage to the viscous coupling, DO NOT:

Tow with only two wheels down

Drive without one propshaft

Drive with a "donut" spare tire for an extended period of time

-- End --

Guys I have a dyno and will not run this vehicle. I may be able to rent/borrow a 4WD dyno in the future and will post my results.

Take care,

I don't think I would, but it appears that people are doing it successfully. This is just the GM party line. Just like they say piston slap is normal. Although the info may be correct, I think it has been proven that for short periods it would probably be okay, but who knows what the long term effects will be, if any.

scottzlrov,

Thats the same thing I heard.

I'll wait to find a dyno for 4wd/awd.

Got it set up for Atlanta. Do a search for a dyna-pak dyno for your area, if it's too far.

Ever get your 3.0" pulley in? Differences?

Did I ever say thanks for the reservior location info? They were pretty helpful where you had yours done. The one guy you mentioned wasn't there, but they were able to steer me the right way. A pain in the butt to change, but worth it.

I've seen in excess of 400hp from a stock SS. It's all in the tuning.

I'm not sure about this either. Even flywheel HP, which can't be really calculated couldn't be 400 with just tuning. Consider a 20% drivetrain loss (which I think is high), that means you've seen 320 rwhp with just a tune. Thats pretty optimistic I'd say, but who knows.

I've seen in excess of 400hp from a stock SS.  It's all in the tuning. 

I'm not sure about this either. Even flywheel HP, which can't be really calculated couldn't be 400 with just tuning. Consider a 20% drivetrain loss (which I think is high), that means you've seen 320 rwhp with just a tune. Thats pretty optimistic I'd say, but who knows.

Hmm, you think 20% is high, that's a first I've heard, I always heard about 24-26%, and the 80E about 28%. That would be about 296hp at the wheels.

It would be nice for someone with a chassis and engine dyno to prove this. I don't think anybody will, but it would be awesome to know how much hp is lost thru the tranny and shafts.

maybe someday,

allen

I've seen in excess of 400hp from a stock SS.  It's all in the tuning. 

well he just did 325rwhp with tuning and magnaflow. I would assume about 5-10rwhp from the muffler, we'll say 7, so that's 318rwhp without.

318/.80 = 397flywheel. pretty damn impressive :thumbs: makes me look at the stock truck a little differently

looks like again Chevy was very conservative on their HP ratings

Archived