Amber DRL install

MG7322

First start with bulb selection:

Sylvania 4157NAK bulbs only. This is real orange glass. The 3157A in your blinkers is not recomended since it is a coated bulb. I would give a coated bulb at full voltage about 2 months before it fails! (crack, peel and outgas)

The 4157K type in designed for DRL use. It was implemented in 2000 to fix all the one-eyed wonders driving on the road. :thumbs: 2004 vehicles will have an even newer lamp the 4114K which is designed for the 14V electrical system these trucks have. I do not think they will be available in amber.

Pop hood, and lift the L-shaped rod on top of the headlamps. Pull the rod out towards the radiator. Set aside. Pull headlamp assembly towards you and pull up. Disconnect the wires going to the 9005 and 9006 bulbs. They have a clip on the base that you have to lift up. Once lifted pull the wire harness away from the bulb. Now's the time to install you 9005ST and 9006ST SilverStars! Shop on-line Twist the bulbs out of the sockets in a CCW motion.

With the headlamp out of the way, reach down and twist the bulb socket for the DRL. This should be the inner socket. It has a tab on it that you need to press down. Pull the 4157K lamp out and set aside. Install your 4157NAK lamp in reverse order. While you are at it you can change you turn signals to 4157NAK as well. Twist the socket back in and install bulb wiring and the headlight. During headlight install make sure the bottom tabs mount into the slots on the radiator support. It will make installing the L-shapped rod easier and ensure your headlights are not aiming into the sky! Repeat for the other side. Total time: Less than 15 minutes with no tools required.

• 2 weeks later...

Get the Street Glow Xenon White Bulbs. About $19.95 per pair. I have them in my 2002 Sierra and just installed them in my SS. They are a big improvement over stock. I have people flashing me when I have my low beams on. The have a really cool Blue HID look to them.

I would never spend $100.00 on bulbs!!!! I did not see a difference between these $19.95 bulbs and the $49.00 PIAA Bulbs either.

The Street Glow Bulbs in my Sierra have been in for over a year and a half without failure. The PIAA's I had in my 2001 GP GTP burned out in a couple months!!!!

Don't spend the money!!!! Save it for Speed mods!!!

Just my opinion

I believe we are talking about turn signal/day time running lights not headlights. I think everyone should invest in a good lighting system because if you have ever driven in a car with HIDs its so much safer and you can read road signs much better.

I put in Silverstars after one of my PIAA Super Whites burned out (in my last truck)... (super whites are the less expensive PIAA's out now)

I can't say that I'm a fan of Silverstars at all. For some very odd reason, they had a green light to them when driving on snowy roads. I would have sworn they were slightly dimmer than the stock bulbs - but I heard so many good things about them, that I kept them in.

I liked the PIAA's MUCH more, but I'm a little too cheap right now to go and spend the money on another set.

Thanks for the DRL swap. I'm on my way to the dealer to pick up my truck now - I was planning on getting a set of amber bulbs for it. I'll check on those 4114's.

(no auto parts stores stock amber 4157's here - the 3157's definitely don't last more than a few weeks!)

• 1 month later...

I don't have my SS just yet. But I was wondering. When installing the DRL's you are shooting for that bright amber look that the corvette has with the DRL's or a think a few buicks have it that way. Kind of like the bright filament of the turn signal is on all the time? Thanks

I don't have my SS just yet. But I was wondering. When installing the DRL's you are shooting for that bright amber look that the corvette has with the DRL's or a think a few buicks have it that way. Kind of like the bright filament of the turn signal is on all the time? Thanks

I'm wondering the same thing. I want the corvette look!! Let me know when you get some feed back

I don't have my SS just yet.  But I was wondering.  When installing the DRL's you are shooting for that bright amber look that the corvette has with the DRL's or a think a few buicks have it that way.  Kind of like the bright filament of the turn signal is on all the time?  Thanks

Actually, the correct amber lamps are much brighter than the turn signals. During June of last year (2003), I replaced my OEM DRLS with long-life Sylvania 3157NALL amber lights. These are BRIGHT. Dual filaments light up and they are nearly blinding. Below is a photo of my Z71 with the 3157NALL bulbs installed. Yes, it is the same truck as what I have in the sig. I added all this bunch of junk on the poor thing. Almost would like to take it off and get a "plain look" back:

28484574.jpg

I like the look of your truck. But what I really would like too is a clear front when the lights are off. There are new silverstars that only light up amber when lite and clearish when off. I wonder if they make the bulbs i need in that style.

I like the look of your truck. But what I really would like too is a clear front when the lights are off. There are new silverstars that only light up amber when lite and clearish when off. I wonder if they make the bulbs i need in that style.

That would be a cool effect.

If you can find these, make sure of the life expectancy. The bulbs I use are "long-life" as defined by the bulb number's extender. I would dig around at PIAA and Sylvannia's websites. I'm just guessing on that, though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Does anyone out there just plain hate DRL like I do?

Nope.

I log allot of miles on the highway. Many in areas where rural traffic can enter the highway from cross roads. Anything I can do to make myself more visible to other traffic is a benefit to me. I used to run my '94 Silverado with the lights on during the day.

I can't find the study right now but statistically vehicles with lights or DRL's are less likely to be involved in collisions as the are more noticiable.

yea what bothers me most, is when there is a 2lane highway(1 each way) and you need to pass, sometimes you cant really see the guys without the DRL's down the road and its harder to judge, with DRLs i find it way easier and safer since its easier

Archived