How to paint engine covers?

ccc_23

clean them very well, some use soap and water i use brake clean. do not touch them with your bare hands after they are clean, then use some adhesion promoter then a prime coat. all high temp paints should be used, use your own color scheme and use a final clear coat for a gloss and protective coat.

DSC00075.jpg

DSC00073.jpg

Wow! That looks clean man! Nothing like a little Chevy orange under the hood to make things look good and proper! You may have just inspired me, I think I'm going to have to dig up those extra cans of Chevy orange ceramic engine paint I have laying around somewhere...

Again, top notch work! :chevy:

What I did was take some 320 sandpaper and sanded it down as smooth as seemed reasonable. Cleaned that off real well and then used the adhesion promoter that was mentioned above. then used 2 coats of filler primer. then I did 3 or 4 coats of color, wetsandint in between each one to smooth and part that I missed when I originally did the cover. The last color coat I didn't touch. Then 2 coats of clear wetsanding that last clear after 2 days and polishing. For my first attempt I think it came out pretty damn good.

engine_cover1s.jpg

engine_cover3s.jpg

engine_cover4s.jpg

where can you get the colored high temp paint. I found some but it was black, and i found the krylon fusion paint but it wasnt hi temp so i was unsure... do i have to get a high temp clear coat as well?... thanks guys

where can you get the colored high temp paint. I found some but it was black, and i found the krylon fusion paint but it wasnt hi temp so i was unsure... do i have to get a high temp clear coat as well?... thanks guys

autozone or any car parts store pep boys has a pretty large selection too.

sweet man thanks a lot. now to just decide on a color... any ideas, i dont wanna copy anyone elses but i dont want it to be ugly, i have a black ss so...... light blue? yellow? green? i was thinking red of course but a lot of people already have that...

You can use pretty much any paint... hi temp stuff is for things like the block, headers, or anywhere thats going to GENERATE heat. The covers don't get hot enough to worry about using special paint.

• 1 month later...
clean them very well, some use soap and water i use brake clean. do not touch them with your bare hands after they are clean, then use some adhesion promoter then a prime coat. all high temp paints should be used, use your own color scheme and use a final clear coat for a gloss and protective coat.

DSC00075.jpg

DSC00073.jpg

Aw man that looks killer!

• 3 years later...