How to paint engine covers?

ccc_23

clean them very well, some use soap and water i use brake clean. do not touch them with your bare hands after they are clean, then use some adhesion promoter then a prime coat. all high temp paints should be used, use your own color scheme and use a final clear coat for a gloss and protective coat.

DSC00075.jpg

DSC00073.jpg

Edited by WODY (see edit history)

What color are you wanting to paint them? If you don't care to smooth the covers then Krylon Fusion works pretty well. Also the automotive paint systems work great, you might get a loca body shop to spray your stuff for super cheap the next time they've got a same colored vehicle in the booth for repair.

Mr. P.

Hey guys i want to paint my engine covers to give the engine a little more look to it. Is there a certain paint i have to use? Any other tips you guys have would be appreciated. Thanks!

Use a sharpie to "paint" the ridges and lettering after you have your base color done. It is a lot easier than trying to tape it in my opinion and worked well for me. Do several clear coats over everything at the end.

the paint did not cost anything because i sold a truck for the guys that own the body shop and they said if i got them what they wanted it would be worth 1000,00 dollars for me but instead they traded with me i got a brand new predator programmer a SSS gauge cluster for my wifes tahoe and about 1500,00 dollars worth of paint oh yeah and one perfect SSS headrest so i think it was a good deal for me and i just sold the programmer to another member on the site and had mine tuned by brian sailor at sscartuning.com he lives close to me met him at a car show and yes i drive the truck to work every day it has 67,ooo miles on it now my fovorite painted pieces are th mirrors and the wiper cowl

you definitly dont have to spend that much if you dont want to paint everything and the one thing that you should definitly not skimp on is paint it is pretty permanent i painted it all because i show my truck every weekend

clean them very well, some use soap and water i use brake clean. do not touch them with your bare hands after they are clean, then use some adhesion promoter then a prime coat. all high temp paints should be used, use your own color scheme and use a final clear coat for a gloss and protective coat.

DSC00075.jpg

DSC00073.jpg

Did you use a silver sharpie for the Vortec 6000 area? Also, did you just outline the 3 pieces with the black, or is that some kind of edging. Looks very good.

The simple way to do it is use Krylon Fusion paint... specifically for plastics it doesn't require you to use any adhesion promoters, or do anything to the surface other than clean it before using. Thats what I used on my engine covers and it came out awesome...held up to the heat well too. Obviously its not going to be flawlessly smooth unless you sand and smooth the plastic first, but for engine covers I think it looks good:

DSC00382.jpg

DSC00383.jpg

Or... you could always ship em off to a professional (Like Elite Autowerks) and have them do a paint job on your engine cover thats probably better quality than the paint on the rest of your truck :D

DSC_3207.jpg

DSC_3205.jpg

Did you use a silver sharpie for the Vortec 6000 area? Also, did you just outline the 3 pieces with the black, or is that some kind of edging. Looks very good.

no sharpie was used...i used tape and exacto-knife

no sharpie was used...i used tape and exacto-knife

I give you a lot of credit, you have much more patience than me. I started taping and cutting and it seemed to take forever when the bright idea of the sharpie came to mind. Your covers look great. I will say, however, the sharpie really does work and no one could tell its not paint under the clear coats. My covers are just sitting in a box now that I installed the radix anyways LOL.