100+ Octane

1 Fast SS

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:withstupid::dunno:

Most race tracks have just about anything you want. You can go to some local speed shops and buy it in 5 gal cans (that is where I get my methanol). You can do an internet search and locate a gas station that searves higher than 93,...A station by me just stopped pumping the 100 Cam2 (sunoco) :shakehead:

I live in Vegas where the temps reach into the 110's, but like I said, I'm not a daily driver to where I run my truck all the time and clog up the cats. I'm also not running 110 octane either. I wouldn't dare do this to my truck without the proper mods. All I was doing was putting alittle additive of some 100 octane to a half tank of 91, which would equal to about a 95.5 octane.(no harm done). I do believe that there are pro's and cons' to this, depending on your mods. My truck doesn't have a blower or NOS, and has been tuned by one of the best. Frank tuned it for this application, so I trust what he tells me. I haven't noticed any "pinging" what so ever, even in the extreme heat. My plugs look good too (light tan in color). He told me that he has it running alittle rich at idle and mid range for the summer heat to protect it from detonation, at WOT it should be perfect with the timing that he set. Maybe I need to get on it more often to blow everything out? Because I baby my truck to much unless I come across a street race. But I have to tell you guys, that I really do notice a difference in Torque and throttle response when adding alittle 100 octane. The truck just wants to get up and get it. Maybe it's not good to do this after a long period of time, cuz your cats will clog up, not sure, you guys would no more than I would.

Terry

not opinion but facts. one you dont hear knock as for knock retard. you hear pinging. if your pinging on 93 octane then you have issues. either stock tune, Maf or carbon'd plugs. ive run motors that were 11.1 and 11.5 on 93 octane all day long and never had an issue. on a hot severe day around 95* and 28* of timing i had some slight pinging but nothing that couldnt be fix by less timing or cooler temps. anything 90* and lower never had and issue with that much timing and motor leand out.

if your stock and need higher then 93 you have issues that need address asap

Well, after I got my first tune from pcmforless, I noticed pinging. Perhapds it's because we don't have any higher than 91 in CA. No one ever said I "needed" higher than 93. For one, I can't get 93 as I've stated and two, I just feel better about running 110 leaded gas. I don't have to worry about cat's or smog so I figure, why not. Sure I don't "need" the 110 but I've won a lot of races with it and run my quickest times with it so I'm sticking to it. My plugs look fine and everything runs great so I have no complaints.

Mr. P...Why is gutting cats a waste of money? IS removing them all together really the best route?

Well, after I got my first tune from pcmforless, I noticed pinging. Perhapds it's because we don't have any higher than 91 in CA. No one ever said I "needed" higher than 93. For one, I can't get 93 as I've stated and two, I just feel better about running 110 leaded gas. I don't have to worry about cat's or smog so I figure, why not. Sure I don't "need" the 110 but I've won a lot of races with it and run my quickest times with it so I'm sticking to it. My plugs look fine and everything runs great so I have no complaints.

Mr. P...Why is gutting cats a waste of money? IS removing them all together really the best route?

well just what i thought your tune!!!!!!!!!! find a different tuner!!!! quit using leaded fuel now!!!! its not good at all for your O2s

cats are worth 50 bucks a pop roughly as "cat-Haukers" cash them in for money if they arent hollowd out. you can still cut them out of system and replace with pipe, just dont hollow

well just what i thought your tune!!!!!!!!!! find a different tuner!!!! quit using leaded fuel now!!!! its not good at all for your O2s

cats are worth 50 bucks a pop roughly as "cat-Haukers" cash them in for money if they arent hollowd out. you can still cut them out of system and replace with pipe, just dont hollow

:withstupid:

RACERJJ - I agree with your observation. Using Brian Herter's tune I mixed-in 113-octane to get a quarter-tank of 95-96 octane at the track and the truck ran much better in the midrange. After buying EFILive and logging a couple WOT blasts I discovered the knock sensor was pulling 6-8 degrees out at 4000-5000 rpm and I unknowingly had been driving the truck like that for almost a couple years; and I DO run 93-octane. Brian Herter put a ton of timing into my tune, his later tunes might be better in this regard. :dunno:

Theory says that replacing the cats with a section of pipe should get you better performance; if you just gut the cats you do remove the restriction but the fact that the exhaust gasses must expand then 8-inches later converge introduces a lot of turbulence in the pipe; straight pipe is better than gutted cats, which is better than cats.

Mr. P.

There is one plus side not mentioned here about running higher octane gas.

Quality.

I only say thing becuase i got bit in the a$$ running 91 octane 76 gas. The cheap aditves they use to raise the octane level ate up the metering blocks on my custom Pro-Systems carb. As a bonus, I got water in my system! whoohoo! It was explained to my by my carb builder, and VP, that the higher alk and what not that are used actually pull moisture out of the air and into the fuel. No fun if you ask me. Needless to say that car only gets VP Streetblaze 100 now.

There is one plus side not mentioned here about running higher octane gas.

Quality.

I only say thing becuase i got bit in the a$ running 91 octane 76 gas. The cheap aditves they use to raise the octane level ate up the metering blocks on my custom Pro-Systems carb. As a bonus, I got water in my system! whoohoo! It was explained to my by my carb builder, and VP, that the higher alk and what not that are used actually pull moisture out of the air and into the fuel. No fun if you ask me. Needless to say that car only gets VP Streetblaze 100 now.

Indeed. I remember reading something about what ethanol does to the octane values of gas. Since MA now requires all gas-station gas to have 15% ethanol, it spiked my interest. The article explained that ethanol will raise the octane value of gas by about 2-3 points, however ethanol itself is corrosive to rubber (particularly old rubber compounds like pre-90s fuel line bridges), and can even deteriorate rubber after the burn (like exhaust gaskets). That being said, I've been putting 93 in everything I own now, regardless of what it costs. The way I figure, 93 w/ 15% ethanol is really 91, right? Add that to whatever additives Big Oil has been using save themselves and cheaply boost the octane rating, and I figure I'm really running 89. If there was a decent supply of VP kicking around somewhere, or maybe more than just one sunoco racing station (the kind that sells 110 unleaded and 115 leaded) within 40 miles, then that'd be all I'd use...

Yeah, ethanol also destroyed my boat motor. Chewed a hole in one of my fuel lines and one of my head gaskets... super fun....

I here what you're saying about the o2's. I think the difference is that I only race my truck now so the limited amount of driving may gat me some more life out of them. Plus, I'm pretty sure I've tuned them out now anyway. That leads me to my next statement...I do my own tuning now for the most part. :thumbs:

I here what you're saying about the o2's. I think the difference is that I only race my truck now so the limited amount of driving may gat me some more life out of them. Plus, I'm pretty sure I've tuned them out now anyway. That leads me to my next statement...I do my own tuning now for the most part. :thumbs:

so now youre saying you dont use your O2s? thats not very smart unless you have a wideband and runing open loop and if youre doing your own tuning then why not maximize all the power you can on 93? your setup isnt wild by anymeans to use it....... youll make more power on 93 if tuned right then you will right now on 115

If you were to remove your cat, what do you do about the o2 sensor on it? Won't it throw a code, or change the way your truck runs?

a tune could take care of that

If you were to remove your cat, what do you do about the o2 sensor on it? Won't it throw a code, or change the way your truck runs?

you have 2 cats and the rear 02s are after the cats. they are there to tell computer the cats are working or not working. hell those wires arent even in my harness anymore. tell the computer a lie and youll never worry again

so now youre saying you dont use your O2s? thats not very smart unless you have a wideband and runing open loop and if youre doing your own tuning then why not maximize all the power you can on 93? your setup isnt wild by anymeans to use it....... youll make more power on 93 if tuned right then you will right now on 115

Why is that not smart? I meant that my rear o2's are disabled as they should be. How many times do I have to state that I can't get 93 in CA??? :banghead::banghead::confused::confused: I have well over 100 runs on my set-up and I am very happy with my power levels and everything works and runs great.