100+ Octane

1 Fast SS

Anyone else running 100+ octane in their trucks? Are there pro's and con's? When I fuel up, I'll add 3-5 gallons when it's on a half tank, and I can really feel the difference. Anymore than 3-5 gal., then the truck doesn't run properly. Especially when going to the track. I'll only have a 1/4 tank in my truck when going there, and have the two mixed in already. I've got a custom tune on my truck, so I can do this. The truck feels much more torquey, and the throttle response is alot better too. I've tested it out on different tanks of gas, and it really does improve the performance. It allows you to run more timing in the truck. The guys with the custom tunes, give it a try. Or even the stock SS's, just put a couple of gallons in and see what happens.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Con - expensive, excess will destroy catalytic converters.

Pro - if the timing in your tune is way too agressive the extra octane combats detonation.

Assuming that your tune (timing) is correct the only way changing fuels helps is if the "additive" has more heat energy in it than regular pump gas, which is not hard to achieve these days unfortunately. Adding 3 gals of 100 octane to 6 gals 93 pump gas results in about 95.5 octane and that is the maximum a catalytic converter can tolerate under WOT.

Mr. P.

Pro - if the timing in your tune is way too agressive the extra octane combats detonation.

Assuming that your tune (timing) is correct the only way changing fuels helps is if the "additive" has more heat energy in it than regular pump gas, which is not hard to achieve these days unfortunately. Adding 3 gals of 100 octane to 6 gals 93 pump gas results in about 95.5 octane and that is the maximum a catalytic converter can tolerate under WOT.

Mr. P.

Frank tuned my truck for this, so I trust what he tells me. That's why I don't put any more than 5 gal of it. Does this effect the cats after a long period of time, or does it effect it right a way? I'm not a daily driver, so I didn't think it would hurt it. And I don't know if this matters or not, but I have MSD 8.5 wires to get more spark for the upgrade. Do these help?

Mr. P.

:withstupid: if you are not runing aggressive timing you do not need the extra octane as your motor will run hotter because the higher the octane the slower it burns. IMHO so if your truck feels better with trhe 100 octane then your timing table is agressive and seems like your getting some knock therfore feels better with the higher octane. did frank do a dyno tune for you?

I run VP 110 leaded race gas only (sometimes C12). I don't have any cats so that's not a worry for me. My timing table is pretty aggressive so I need all the octane I can get. I mainly use it because of racing consistency.

i have, mistakenly, run 100 octane through every tank for the last 2-3 months... i put in about 8 gals and the rest 91... guess i wont be doing that anymore...

now i need to figure out if my cats are clogged... is there an easy way of doing it? My cats are off right now due to my transmission removal...

anyone?

i just need to pony up and get some dynatech LT's...

:withstupid: if you are not runing aggressive timing you do not need the extra octane as your motor will run hotter because the higher the octane the slower it burns. IMHO so if your truck feels better with trhe 100 octane then your timing table is agressive and seems like your getting some knock therfore feels better with the higher octane. did frank do a dyno tune for you?

No knocking here, and he did a PCM tune. I guess he just started doing dyno tunes. Haven't talk to him in a while.

i have, mistakenly, run 100 octane through every tank for the last 2-3 months... i put in about 8 gals and the rest 91... guess i wont be doing that anymore...

now i need to figure out if my cats are clogged... is there an easy way of doing it? My cats are off right now due to my transmission removal...

anyone?

i just need to pony up and get some dynatech LT's...

Just gut em while there off!