I think I killed it...

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tansgo shift kit, both servos and a 10.5" 2400-2600 stall custom built TC! :chevy:

That'll probably just be makin me more power so I'll be likely to brake those parts again hahaha.

I would throw the level 5 FLT in there but I think I should wait till I'm out of warranty and plus they are alot of money!

Tansgo shift kit, both servos and a 10.5" 2400-2600 stall custom built TC! :chevy:

That'll probably just be makin me more power so I'll be likely to brake those parts again hahaha.

I would throw the level 5 FLT in there but I think I should wait till I'm out of warranty and plus they are alot of money!

good choice :thumbs: . what about the trans cooler?

I was talkin to Excelsior and he said he builds custom tranny coolers. I thought that was pretty cool, I'm gonna try him out! I can't wait to get all this stuff in, I wonder how its gonna drive?

Changing the transmission shift behavior in these trucks is the single best thing you can do to totally transform the whole driving experience, you'll like it so much you'll be saying 'why didn't they make it like this to begin with'. Yes GET a tranny cooler, a TruCool for sure at least the 30K GVW cooler with that converter but if you can afford the TruCool Max (or similar) for sure that's a great investment, do whatever it takes to get ATF temps under control, like 175 or if you are running synthetic ATF you can go a bit cooler (155-160) and the shift will be even better.

AFA hard parts reliability, a shift kit + Vette 2nd servo + billet 4th/OD servo + converter is OK for 2WD operation but for AWD trucks or racing in 4HI it's exactly the same as driving the truck with slicks (100% traction) so you cannot have a brutal 1-2 shift or you will be damaging stock parts; NO MORE than 2 washers in the 2nd accumulator cup with the Transgo Kit unless you have fully hardened internals.

Mr. P.

Changing the transmission shift behavior in these trucks is the single best thing you can do to totally transform the whole driving experience, you'll like it so much you'll be saying 'why didn't they make it like this to begin with'. Yes GET a tranny cooler, a TruCool for sure at least the 30K GVW cooler with that converter but if you can afford the TruCool Max (or similar) for sure that's a great investment, do whatever it takes to get ATF temps under control, like 175 or if you are running synthetic ATF you can go a bit cooler (155-160) and the shift will be even better.

AFA hard parts reliability, a shift kit + Vette 2nd servo + billet 4th/OD servo + converter is OK for 2WD operation but for AWD trucks or racing in 4HI it's exactly the same as driving the truck with slicks (100% traction) so you cannot have a brutal 1-2 shift or you will be damaging stock parts; NO MORE than 2 washers in the 2nd accumulator cup with the Transgo Kit unless you have fully hardened internals.

Mr. P.

Sounds like i need to talk to you about what i'm going to be doing.. :)

I just bought a Yank TT3000.. and i'm considering the zippy shift kit.. or the transgo. Along with billet 2nd and 4th servos...... what type of tranny cooler should i go with?

Also, how much would all that run me for an install #? I was told that if i know the right people.. i could get it all installed for under $400...

Oh.. and i also bought a Detroit True Trac... :D

Mr. P.

Sounds like its gonna be pretty damn fun! Yeah I'm jus gonna have him build me a tranny cooler. Whats AFA? My truck is 4x4 but I don't run it in 4 wheel at the track, just seems alittle to sketchy for some reason. But I run M&H drag radials, so hopefully they won't spin too much. And my internals aren't hardened, they are all stock. I'll make sure to tell him 1-2 washers, I'm sure he will already know though.

Mr. P.

So given AWD w/ shift kit + Vette 2nd servo + billet 4th/OD servo, what amount of TM do you think should be left in place?

:nono: NONE.....TM is bad when you have a shift kit

Aha. So is the "NO MORE than 2 washers in the 2nd accumulator cup with the Transgo Kit unless you have fully hardened internals" is the only manner of taming the 1-2 shift? Or are there other PCM settings that can help with this also?

Edited by jbaker (see edit history)

Sounds like its gonna be pretty damn fun! Yeah I'm jus gonna have him build me a tranny cooler. Whats AFA? My truck is 4x4 but I don't run it in 4 wheel at the track, just seems alittle to sketchy for some reason. But I run M&H drag radials, so hopefully they won't spin too much. And my internals aren't hardened, they are all stock. I'll make sure to tell him 1-2 washers, I'm sure he will already know though.

AFA = "As far as..." Yeah you'll really like it. 1 washer isn't enough, 2 washers. I've got the Transgo kit in my truck and I've added stuff to it, it's not much of a transgo kit anymore (!) but they do work well for what you want to do.

So given AWD w/ shift kit + Vette 2nd servo + billet 4th/OD servo, what amount of TM do you think should be left in place?

I dunno, I was planning on experimenting after I got my truck back together - the transmission is still apart waiting for an output shaft. In my own truck I was thinking 20% of the factory setting :dunno: and going from there; also remember that my settings may not match anyone else's because I've got billet servos in combination with a transgo HD2C kit and a modified Transgo separator plate and 2nd accumulator exhaust valve. My point was this, you spent $$$ to have a computer that comes with the logic to employ torque management, why not use it? Just not abuse it and rely on it as a crutch like GM does.

Mr. P.