2008 Viper Update.

BumpinSS

I think some of you guys are missing the Corvette vs Viper argument here.. no doubt the vette is a BAD ASS car... and it can run 7 second quarter miles and have 1 BILLLION horsepower or whatever.... but let not forget Civics and Ford Focuses have been built up in the past to run 7 and 8 second quarter miles too.

Thats not the point i was trying to make earlier...

I think the Viper has an exotic look, and feel... and even non 'car people' are more likely to turn their domes and check out your ride because it has the Ferrari and Lambo style and appeal. I think no doubt the vette is a badass car, and the Z06 is more of a modern day supercar compared to the viper mechanically, but I think Chevy needs to up the ante and have their flagship editions such as the Z06 and SS "blue devil" models look more flashy and exotic when trying to compete in the high end sports car market. With prices ranging from 75K (Z06) to possibly over $100K... they need to make a massive jump exterior wise to make it worth it and compare to the Viper in not only the performance area, but the visual appeal.

If not, why not just buy a C6 and throw some TT's on it, beef up the suspension and some other crap and you can have something that is probably just as quick as the Z06 and can possibly look better without spending $30k + more for a Z06?

The Viper doesnt have a cheaper brother that you can modify... its what it is, and only the people who can afford one can have one so you wont see a lot of people with them. Hell my 23yr old friend just bought a 2007 C6 and my neighbor just bought his daughter an 06 C6 for graduating... lets see that happen with a Viper.

HP doesnt sell a vehicle completely for me. Thats why I bought a 300C SRT8 and not a C6 ... although it was a tough decision!

Show me a civic or focus that runs 7's 8's or 9's that's STREET LEGAL.

I can agree with you somewhat that the viper looks more aggresive and more exotic, but as far as chevy dropping the ball I disagree. If I remember correctly there where waiting lists up to a year and half before the z06 was even released (some dealers had up to 50 names on the list) so they obviously did something right to appeal to the public. To be honest I really dont think buyers care that the z06 looks almost the same as a stock c6....its a totally race inspired car....especially for the money. What other car can you buy for 65-70K off the show room floor that can spank 90% (if not more) of the exotics in the world? That's including the viper. It might not beat it by much in the 1/4 but take it on a road course and see what happens. Dont get me wrong, the viper is a BAD ASS car that I could only dream of having, but they really apeal to different crowds IMO. Bottom line is, the z06 and the upcoming blue devil are true race inspired cars and chevy will have no problem selling as many as they want. I really cant see anything coming close to the blue devil as far as performance goes. That's why they will sell and that's why real car people will turn there heads and say "holy shit did you see that" when it goes by........will the average person say that.....probably not. So if that's really what you want buy a porshe or a ferrari or even a viper etc.....that's there calling card.

As far as the c6's go, yeah they are a dime a dozen but I wouldn't leave the 300's out of that catagory either. Now if your talking about 300 srt-8's or z06's that's a little different....dont see those to often, but both look very simular to there little brothers. The z06 however is quite different than the c6. There's much more to a car than looks and the engine.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i love the viper, i read an article on the new one a couple months ago. they are introducing i think 4 more colors, green, maroon, orange, and one more. plus more interior options, more refined, A LOT of changes. they are specifically going after the Z06 and are probably going to beat it.

im a chevy guy through and through, its all ive ever owned, but i would sell my soul in a second for a viper. call me crazy, but i would take an 05 viper over a 07 Z06 any day of the week

Oh man, it looks soo damn sweet!

It's got some pretty killer horses too, and 208 mph, simply insane!!! :crazy:

If I was interested in looks alone, I'd take that Viper over a Vette anyday. Not saying that the Viper doesn't have some major performance though, but come on we all know Chevy is going to end up blowing the Viper away... again! :jester:

i love the viper, i read an article on the new one a couple months ago. they are introducing i think 4 more colors, green, maroon, orange, and one more. plus more interior options, more refined, A LOT of changes. they are specifically going after the Z06 and are probably going to beat it.

im a chevy guy through and through, its all ive ever owned, but i would sell my soul in a second for a viper. call me crazy, but i would take an 05 viper over a 07 Z06 any day of the week

Ok Crazy :jester: The vette is my choice no doubt. I'm just not a fan of the viper. I'd buy a Z06 vette because it fast and looks good. I wouldn't buy it to "turn heads". I don't really care if people watch me as I go buy. I stuck with the stock SS look for ever. I didn't do the exterior mods so people would look at me. I did it because I like the look. I guess if you want attention then get the viper or any other exotic looking car. That's just not my style. The wife is the same way. We both like BMW's but after driving the 3 series we though no way. No power so why pay so much(talking about BMW 3 series). Just my opinion. Everybody has a different one.

EDIT: part about BMW and power. I know the viper has power.

Edited by SSThunder (see edit history)

Very well said, SST.

I think the Viper's got plenty of power for it's buck, then again I haven't looked into the price tag for the '08 Viper.

Note, I brought that up, 'cause you said "No power so why pay so much." I know you were referring to the BMW though.

Very well said, SST.

I think the Viper's got plenty of power for it's buck, then again I haven't looked into the price tag for the '08 Viper.

Note, I brought that up, 'cause you said "No power so why pay so much." I know you were referring to the BMW though.

Yep. talking about the BMW 3 series. I edited my post to say so.

Yep. talking about the BMW 3 series. I edited my post to say so.

Not to get off topic here... but the new 335i blows the doors off of a lot of cars.. 0-60 in 4.8sec, 12.8-13.1 1/4 mile STOCK. Even the new 535i does 0-60 in 5.4sec and the 1/4 in 13.2seconds... or less.

The new M3 will have 414HP and will be running low low low 12's in stock form.

Anyways, back to the Viper thing, if I spent more than 70K on a car I want it to turn heads! I think deep inside we all do, and we know it... or we would drive Titans instead of SS's and focus only on the seats and interior of the car..lol.

I dont want to drive something that people would look at and say "gee... he spent 75K on THAT?" I want the car to LOOK as expensive as it drives... the complete package. Not saying the Vette doesnt look completely badass... but just not as badass and exotic as the Viper.. thats all my point is. Mechanically the Z06 has the edge, but lets all admit... if you saw a 07 Z06 going down the road next to an 08 Viper (shown in the pic in the post) and you polled 100 people (car enthusiasts and non enthusiasts) I am sure 80% of them would rather be driving the Viper if they had the choice. The performance of the Z06 is just not that much better for the average driver, we are talking split seconds of differences here and there that only professional drivers can even accomplish on a closed course... and who knows... the 08 Viper may just beat it there too!

And Adam- I know the 300s are the same story... but I bought a 300c SRT8 because my budget was less than $50K for a new ride, because I cant afford a Z06 or Viper. If I had 70-80K in my budget...and based off of the current Z06 and Vipers out on the dealer lots NOW, I would buy a Z06 in a heartbeat! But this post is directed at the new 600HP Viper so....

Edited by punkt71 (see edit history)

Not to get off topic here... but the new 335i blows the doors off of a lot of cars.. 0-60 in 4.8sec, 12.8-13.1 1/4 mile STOCK. Even the new 535i does 0-60 in 5.4sec and the 1/4 in 13.2seconds... or less.

Anyways, back o the Viper thing, if I spent more than 70K on a car I want it to turn heads! I think deep inside we all do, and we know it... or we would drive Titans instead of SS's and focus only on the seats and interior of the car..lol.

I dont want to drive something that people would look at and say "gee... he spend 75K on THAT?" I want the car to LOOK as expensive as it drives... the complete package. Not saying the Vette doesnt look completely badass... but just not as badass and exotic as the Viper.. thats all my point is. Mechanically the Z06 has the edge, but lets all admit... if you saw a 07 Z06 going down the road next to an 08 Viper (shown in the pic in the post) and you polled 100 people (car enthusiasts and non enthusiasts) I am sure 80% of them would rather be driving the Viper if they had the choice. The performance of the Z06 is just not that much better for the average driver, we are talking split seconds of differences here and there that only professional drivers can even accomplish on a closed course... and who knows... the 08 Viper may just beat it there too!

And Adam- I know the 300s are the same story... but I bought a 300c SRT8 because my budget was less than $50K for a new ride, because I cant afford a Z06 or Viper. If I had 70-80K in my budget...and based off of the current Z06 and Vipers out on the dealer lots NOW, I would buy a Z06 in a heartbeat! But this post is directed at the new 600HP Viper so....

I completely agree with that part. Like my pops says "If you can't get any skirts(chicks) with a $75k car, then you wasted your money!"

here is a link to lap times done an independant driver. you will be suprised where some cars rank Z06 13th. viper 40th.<a href="http://www.topgear.com/content/tgonbbc2/laptimes/thestig/" target="_blank">

</a>

http://www.topgear.com/content/tgonbbc2/laptimes/thestig/

lol.. the difference between 13th and 40th place is ~5 seconds? And that is the older Viper. Still not something that the 'average' driver would see... and this was done on a closed course as I mentioned in my above post. Unless your in the market to only drive the car on a course and race other cars, then I dont see the point. Sure 5 seconds is a lot in lap times during a race, but most Z06 and Viper owners dont even race from a stoplight, rather a timed race course. Lets see what the 08 Viper can do and we can discuss the Z06 vs Viper thing.. because we all know the current Viper has no chance against the Z06.. thats why the McLaren team stepped in for the engineering of the new 600HP Viper.. and I think they mean business this time.

My guess would be that the new viper vs. the z06 would be a close race with the viper barely edging the z06 because of the extra weight the viper carries. My guess is the blue devil or the corvette ss will have no problem spanking that ass though.

:withstupid:

Anyways, back to the Viper thing, if I spent more than 70K on a car I want it to turn heads! I think deep inside we all do, and we know it... or we would drive Titans instead of SS's and focus only on the seats and interior of the car..lol.

I dont want to drive something that people would look at and say "gee... he spent 75K on THAT?" I want the car to LOOK as expensive as it drives... the complete package. Not saying the Vette doesnt look completely badass... but just not as badass and exotic as the Viper.. thats all my point is. Mechanically the Z06 has the edge, but lets all admit... if you saw a 07 Z06 going down the road next to an 08 Viper (shown in the pic in the post) and you polled 100 people (car enthusiasts and non enthusiasts) I am sure 80% of them would rather be driving the Viper if they had the choice. The performance of the Z06 is just not that much better for the average driver, we are talking split seconds of differences here and there that only professional drivers can even accomplish on a closed course... and who knows... the 08 Viper may just beat it there too!

I think it was the 328i model so that's got less HP than the 335i. I guess she test drove the wrong car lol :jester:

I think it was the 328i model so that's got less HP than the 335i. I guess she test drove the wrong car lol :jester:

haha.. yeah the 328i is a dog compared to the 335i... the 335i is a Twin Turbo inline 6.. and straight hauls @ss ! I guess theres a programmer (OVERPRICED at $2500+) that gives the car about 60-70 more HP that can make it almost dip in the 11s !