How to raise rear seat?

ccc_23

• 1 month later...

ive seen guys do it w/ washers or shims... but i raised mine a full 2 inches which meant the existing bolts would be to short so i made a new mount out of 2" X2" X 1/8" steal tubing, im an architect so i probably over did it but here it is anyway...

cut and drilled the steal

BOX_BUILD013.jpg

welded grade 8 bolts in from the inside and now for a quick test fit

BOX_BUILD011.jpg

a lil, cold glavinized paint, primer, base n clear just for some temporary protection

BOX_BUILD010.jpg

BOX_BUILD009.jpg

i will be building a sub box for under the seat which will also hide the seat bracket so i wasnt to worried bout how it looks

i figured i would put this up as well since i raised the rear seat 2" this meant that the hooks in the back of the seat didnt catch and the seat wouldnt stay up... so here ya go for any one who is interested

i have to extend the hooks on the back of the seat to catch the rings on the rear wall

BOX_BUILD002.jpg

i used ca glue to tack in place so i could check for fitment

BOX_BUILD001.jpg

some strong shit, easily pick up the seat by the glued end

BOX_BUILD014.jpg

welded the tabs... yeah i know i cant weld for shit (yet...)

BOX_BUILD012.jpg

Edited by SYSTEM-OH-SS (see edit history)

installed

BOX_BUILD004.jpg

i made the hooks just long enough to latch when upright, but still able to fold down, i got this idea from some one on here who adjusted by cutting the tabs on a stock height seat

BOX_BUILD003.jpg

still have head room, im 6'-1" and there is about 2" still... ne one taller can either ride in the bed or walk... lololol

BOX_BUILD008.jpg

BOX_BUILD007.jpg

not too bad for a sawzall, a $30 drill press, and a $60 wire welder w/ a friction drive that wouldnt feed steadily

any way should be movin onto mdf n fiberglass soon...

any suggestions on a decent inexpensive welder would be appreciated

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
ive seen guys do it w/ washers or shims... but i raised mine a full 2 inches which meant the existing bolts would be to short so i made a new mount out of 2" X2" X 1/8" steal tubing, im an architect so i probably over did it but here it is anyway...

cut and drilled the steal

I dont think you over did it at all. It looks like a really nice clean install. I would've just used unistrut if I did mine, but yours looks great

I dont think you over did it at all. It looks like a really nice clean install. I would've just used unistrut if I did mine, but yours looks great

first thanx for the complement and welcome to the forum theres tons of great info on here... Isnt unsitrut a channel like kindorf... kindorf was actually my first thought, however how would u be able to attach everything if one side is open... i thought bout laying it on its side but then i didnt think it would support the weight, so if figured i could add a piece of steel on the side to close it all up but then all i did was make a square tube... the main problem is i couldnt find it w/ the dimensions i was looking for... ill have to check out the unistrut stuff it maybe an easier/better way to go...

JOE

Edited by SYSTEM-OH-SS (see edit history)

• 2 months later...

I HAVE 2 12' UNDER MY SEAT I LIFTED MY SEAT ABOUT 4" I DID THIS BY STACKING 2 2X4 TOGETHER AND COVERING WITH CARPET THE CARPET BLENDS IN SO ITS NOT REALLY NOTICEABLE I AM ABOUT 5'10" AND MY HEAD BARELY TOUCHES THE ROOF, BUT NOBODY SEATS IN THE BACK SEAT AND THIS IS TEMPORARY 4 RIGHT NOW. I PLAN ON DOING A BED CUT THROUGH AND INSTALLING 3 12' IN THE BED

I HAVE 2 12' UNDER MY SEAT I LIFTED MY SEAT ABOUT 4" I DID THIS BY STACKING 2 2X4 TOGETHER AND COVERING WITH CARPET THE CARPET BLENDS IN SO ITS NOT REALLY NOTICEABLE I AM ABOUT 5'10" AND MY HEAD BARELY TOUCHES THE ROOF, BUT NOBODY SEATS IN THE BACK SEAT AND THIS IS TEMPORARY 4 RIGHT NOW. I PLAN ON DOING A BED CUT THROUGH AND INSTALLING 3 12' IN THE BED

throw up some pics even if it is temporary, also i was wondering how did u attach the seat to the 2x4's and the 2x4's to the truck

throw up some pics even if it is temporary, also i was wondering how did u attach the seat to the 2x4's and the 2x4's to the truck

i just drilled a hole through the 2X4 and replaced the stock bolts with longer ones, i will try and get some pics,

• 12 years later...
On 8/11/2008 at 9:12 AM, breaux350 said:

the stock seat bolts come off or u cut them? i built box for 4 8s n built too tall .. i need about 3inch lift..

i just drilled a hole through the 2X4 and replaced the stock bolts with longer ones, i will try and get some pics,