CONGRATULATIONS krambo!

Holty

krambo

SSS.com Featured Truck Contest WINNER for July/Aug

I have long been a fan of the functionality and looks of GM trucks and growing up in a family of muscle car owners, naturally a truck that fits both performance and function was a must. I needed a truck that can seat 2 adults (one being my 6’1” 300lb frame) and 2 children, be 4WD, able to tow and have some snot for the Friday night grudge matches. My brother being a GM car salesman and GM Buy Power manager at the time gave me some literature on the Silverado SS that was due out in early 03 and I was hooked. An internet search landed me on SilveradoSS.com where I did more research. On a business trip, I made a detour to the 03 Chicago Auto Show in hopes GM would have an SSS to look at and sure enough, an arrival blue SSS was on hand behind some velvet ropes. After threatening the booth attendant, she hesitantly allowed me to crawl around/under the truck and take pictures. She thought I was just looking at the truck itself however I was scoping how to mod the truck to my taste. That weekend I had a deposit on a black SSS after negotiating with dozens of dealers. I took delivery on 4/18/03 while trading in my beloved nicely modified 99 NBS ECSB.

I prized the styling and overall creature comforts of the SSS but soon realized the performance left a lot to be desired after a 15.3 @ 87 on the local drag strip was the best I could muster after brake-in. I figured some bolt-ons would hold me until I figure out my ultimate plans. A K&N CAI, 160 Thermostat, Flowmaster cat-back and some tuning got me into the 14’s when I concluded that I sought a truck that could not only compete with the Lightning but eat it alive on the street. I worked with several reputable engine builders and LS1 gurus and had plans for a stout 402. The cost of the stroker and the down time deterred me and I explored the options of supercharging the existing combo to achieve the results I was looking for. I consulted the same engine builders and squeezed information form SLP regarding their R&D with supercharging LS1s and valve train choices particularly with the Magnacharger Radix. Based on a pile of information (even from several members on SSS.com and other boards), I ordered a cam package from Comp Cams using SLP specs in preparation of the Magnacharger Radix install.

Now that I had a goal in mind, the Radix was the obvious choice. The intercooled MP112 on a LQ9 was ideal for me in that I would no doubt do everything in my power to squeeze every last pony out of it meaning the MP112 itself will be my power limiting factor. With a higher psi blower like the Vortec, I would inevitably overwhelm the LQ9 and be exactly where I was trying to steer away from…rebuilding a forged stroker. The low end of the Radix combined with the AWD seemed to be a formidable street machine that I could daily drive with ease. With the cam, valve springs, titanium retainers, locks, 3000 stall yank converter, under drive pulleys, FAL electric fans, and a full true dual exhaust including ASM headers, the truck finally broke into the 13’s naturally aspirated which was a minor goal along the way. As I saved for the Radix, I did some cosmetic treatments along the way keeping cost to a minimum. Black powder coated stock wheels, painted calipers, tint, Gaylord’s Speedstur bed cover, Shopman SS Bowtie and purchased HPTuners in lieu of the EFI Live and SL1 Edit I have been working with.

blackwheels.jpg

I finally purchased the Radix and installed it with the 2.9” pulley. Working with several tuners and myself, I got the truck to do a 12.8 @ 107. I was satisfied with the results however knew there was a lot left on the table. I needed tires at this point and have been looking at the BFG KDWs and just so happened that a forum member was selling his wheels with KDW tires already mounted. I purchased the 20” Konig No Road wheels with the KDWs and did a brake upgrade as well. Pro-stop slotted and cross drilled rotors, Hawk pads and ATE fluid gave the truck the little bit of extra stopping power I needed without breaking the bank. A Goodmark cowl hood and BSER roll pan were added to create the final aggressive look.

SSside.jpg

SSfront.jpg

SSrear.jpg

Monitoring fuel pressure and boost were next on my list so naturally some Autometer phantom electric gauges were in order. Carrying the laptop was not practical for daily driving so I did a custom installed Aeroforce scan gauge in the overhead console for quick monitoring. At this time I also installed a PCM controlled E-fan harness and rigged a manual override switch on the dash.

Combo-2.jpg

Combo-1.jpg

Crank shaft pulley pinning, a 2.8” Radix pulley, larger HX, custom CAI, a much needed FLT level V 4L65E, a Yank TT2600 torque converter, 90mm LS2 TB and some dyno tuning time net a 12.5 @ 108. Shortly after that run, the Yank 2600 exploded and took out the tranny. I spent the fall installing a freshened FLT level V, a Performance Industries Vigilante 2600 stall 3 disk lock-up converter, Snow methanol injection system and tweaked the tune. Further reinforcements involved ARP rod bolts and rear bearing cap studs and T/A girdle. I ventured to the local track and did a 12.2 @ 109 with a conservative rich tune.

SSengine1.JPG

SSengine2.JPG

I added a true dual 3” exhaust set-up with high flow cats, X pipe and dual 3”x18” Magnaflow mufflers, logged and tuned all winter and made a trip to the track 4 months later with some fellow SSS and TBSS members. Spinning all four off the line, I ran a 12.020 @ 111 and when the all season radials finally hooked, I posted an 11.95 @ 112. The only weight reductions were no spare and tailgate. That run capped off a very rewarding build and gave me a truck that accelerates faster than most sports cars.

SSexhaust.JPG

I plan on taking the Radix deeper into the 11’s this fall with 4 drag radials, further tuning and no bed cover. Drive shaft loops, an in-truck wideband, larger injectors and possibly Cal Tracs are in the near term. After that, who knows… but more HP is a given.

SSfrontdark.JPG

Complete list of modifications:

ASM headers, custom collectors, dual 3" metal substrate hi-flow cats, 3" X pipe, dual 3" 18"L Magnaflows side exit all 316 stainless, 160 thermostat, custom CAI with Volant air box, FLT Level V 4L65E with billet output shaft and Sonnex servos, 40,000 Tru-cool tranny cooler, PI Vigilante triple disk lock up 2800 stall converter, FAL electric 282 E-fans (PCM controlled with manual override), Magnacharger Radix Supercharger w/ 2.8" pulley (9psi), oversized heat exchanger, LS2 90MM TB conversion with home ported and polished J-tube, Metco 100mm idler pulleys, 216/222 .559 .566 115 SLP cam, 918 springs - Ti retainers - locks, Gatorback belt, Taylor 409 race wires, NGK TR-6 plugs, Snow Performance Meth injection (60/40) with converted windshield wiper reservoir – progressive boost controlled and flow metered, ARP rod bolts, Pinned Crank Pulley, clamped rear springs (when racing), HPTuners pro, T/A rear girdle with bearing cap studs, Autometer electric boost and FP phantom gauges, Aeroforce scan gauge, Pro-stop cross drilled and slotted rotors, Hawk pads, painted calipers with SS graphics, Konig No-Road 20x10, BFG KDW 305/50's, Goodmark cowl induction hood – supercharged emblems, Gaylord Speedstur cover, BSER roll pan with hidden hitch, Shopman SS bowtie, Optima Yellow Top, Silverstars HI/LO and amber DRL's, tint, vent shades, Auto-Trac T-case fluid, Mobil 1 10W30 with K&N HP2006 filter, Water Wetter, 255/65 Dunlop all seasons on 16" Al stock Silverado wheels for the track, custom plate “SSLEEPR”

Thank you to the ones responsible for SilveradoSS.com for creating and maintaining a place where all of us can discuss our interests and thank you to those who nominated my truck for TOTM!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats Krambo :cheers:

Holty is there a way to put the threads/posts in the news/rumors section to show up when I hit "view new post". I have been on here and missed the announcement because I automatically hit view new post so I miss this stuff.

Thanks

I have been on here and missed the announcement because I automatically hit view new post so I miss this stuff.

Thanks

I even bumped it twice so people would see it.......bump.gif

Thank you guys/girls for the nominations and votes. The two individual trucks I was running with are two exceptional showpieces who are both deserving of further recognition. Having an opportunity to display my truck alongside of a true showtruck (fast4popper) and a brilliant rendition of a Silverado Super Sport (USAbodyguard) was a privilege. :cheers::chevy: