How-2: Beef up the lowly 10 bolt rear

Krambo

• 8 months later...

So, it turns out that I will be doing this upgrade after x-mas b/c just found out this will be one of my gifts!! However, TA performance is out of stock of these girdles. So, I found a ebay listing of this girdle. This person (store) does have the upgrade stud kit TA1815. From my contacts with TA performance, I was told that the upgrade stud kit has all the provisions for the brake bracket. Is this true??

Reason why I ask is b/c in this "How to" it says that you need to ask for a longer bolt to include the brake bracket. Just wondering how much longer this bolt is ? is it that (brake bracket) significant that it will not fit correctly with a regular sized differential bolt?

Thank in advance, just want to make sure I order the correct parts the 1st time around.

if you guys are going to do anything to the gears, I would strongly suggest you swap out that P.O.S. crush sleeve for a solid pinion spacer. Many people don't know that the crush sleeve is the reason the GM 10 and 12 bolts eat gears like crazy. a bit of wobble from the pinion causes the pinion gear to try and climb the ring gear. I have seen many 7.5" rears in F-bodies survive low 10 and high 9 second passes with a good set of tires. I really feel this is a key 16.00 part that can save your backside.

i installed mine with just the gasket torqued to spec and after a few days it started leaking so i took it apart again and used just permatex gray and havent had a problem since

you will also notice that i had to make a new panhard bar to clear the girdle

post-19130-1261603729_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Installed my TA girdle last night. This "How To" was dead on. Everything went smoothly. The biggest problem I had was removing the old gasket. It was caked on the differential. Havent had to opportunity to drive it yet and do figrue 8s and check for leaks. But 2 hrs after install, no leaks. :fingersx:

• 2 years later...

Thank you Krambo! This write up was right on! A few additions on an 06 Intimidator SS. We have a 14 bolt girdle cover. The two longer bolts I used to hold the EBrake cable and fluid line was 8 x 40mm. TA provides spacers that fit in the recesses of the cover. I love that old gasket!! I spent more time removing that then the entire job. Just an additional recommendation to anyone that is doing this with jack stands in your driveway. Remove the spare! As Kramdo said TAKE YOUR TIME! It took me about 5 hrs. I am in no way an auto technician. Also, be sure to cover the Diff with paper towels when your removing the gasket. Work cleanly and throughly.

Also, Chevy removed the fill plug near the pinion gear. TA puts their fill port substantially higher then OEM. So I filled it to recommended amount. It appears it could fit about one more quart to reach the fill plug. I will more then likely fill it to that point. I used Synthetic Mobil 1 75/90. If you guys have any other input it's always greatly appreciated.

Here are some pics of the install.

post-23372-044528500 1332167748_thumb.jpeg

post-23372-067451400 1332169086_thumb.jpg

post-23372-025202400 1332169458_thumb.jpeg

post-23372-003140800 1332169695_thumb.jpg

Edited by A_FUrious (see edit history)

• 1 month later...