low cost swaybar upgrade

jc04ss

Have you also trimmed the bump stops? I've read here that that helps the ride as well. I figured the combination of that and the sway bar bushing upgrade would be a really inexpensive improvement to both handling and ride. I'm glad to hear that the sway bar upgrade worked out OK.

Don't cut them - drill 'em; and it only helps if you are lowered more than say an inch in the front.

Mr. P.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Don't cut them - drill 'em; and it only helps if you are lowered more than say an inch in the front.

Mr. P.

Thanks, Steve. From the post I was reading on it, it sounded like some guys at stock height had done it too. Glad you're around to keep an eye on us! :thumbs:

On the 'other bushing' front...I have made more of a formal inquiry from Energy via email and asked for a complete list of applicable parts and part numbers for our trucks. More info to come.

On my old Firebird I had polyurethane bushing in the upper control arms and it made a huge difference in road-holding ability (your alignment changes less while cornering); I would still keep the factory rubber lower control arm bushings for ride comfort. Also, there should be a cheap shock absorber bushing kit too, that stuff is pretty standard...

Mr. P.

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

Thanks, Steve. From the post I was reading on it, it sounded like some guys at stock height had done it too. Glad you're around to keep an eye on us! :thumbs:

Yeah I'll be eyeballing your new bushings in a couple weeks! If you don't have it done by then I'll help you put them in but you'll find the job to be really simple.

Mr. P. :)

Listen to P. I drilled mine and they ride better. I'm lowered over 1" up front. I think the truck now sits at 32.5" up front. :thumbs:

Yeah I'll be eyeballing your new bushings in a couple weeks! If you don't have it done by then I'll help you put them in but you'll find the job to be really simple.

Mr. P. :)

Thanks, Steve. It does look easy enough. I have new NGK Iridium plugs, MSD wires, and these bushings on the way. I plan to have it all done by 9/22. Certainly nothing to make me the fastest truck there! :)

• 2 weeks later...

With help from Dan (Fireman31), the new sway bar bushings and end links are in. It feels a bit tighter, but I'll take a cruise this afternoon and hit an exit ramp or 2 to really see how much it might have improved. We also put in new Iridium plugs and MSD wires.

While we were under the truck, I noticed that the truck is sitting on the front bump stops. :wtf: That can't be good. (Note: I do not have a lowered truck!) I'm going to have to do something about that. Time to go back and look at those posts again about removing the top holder, and drilling the stops.

With help from Dan (Fireman31), the new sway bar bushings and end links are in. It feels a bit tighter, but I'll take a cruise this afternoon and hit an exit ramp or 2 to really see how much it might have improved. We also put in new Iridium plugs and MSD wires.

While we were under the truck, I noticed that the truck is sitting on the front bump stops. :wtf: That can't be good. (Note: I do not have a lowered truck!) I'm going to have to do something about that. Time to go back and look at those posts again about removing the top holder, and drilling the stops.

I gotta say the bushing and end-link kit install wasn't too hard to do, definitely gonna order one for myself. :thumbs: Hank, I think those new Bilstein shocks you were talking about will help out with that bump stop issue............

:confused: How did the new bushing kit handle on the entrance ramps this afternoon?

Its supposed to sit on the bump stops. The torsion bars are not progressive, so to make the suspension progressive it uses the twist of the torwion bars and the squish of the bump stop.

well of course ;) I also think I might look into a rear kit if I like this difference. I got them cheeeeeeep!!

The rear will be a bit more expensive. There is no swaybar to change bushings on so you will need to add a bar too.

I just installed my Hotchkis Kit Thursday night and the difference is unbelievable. I also have the Bell Tech Nitro Shocks and I am lowered with 22's. My SS now handles better than my '98 Cobra!!

Edited by AUTOGUY (see edit history)

:confused: How did the new bushing kit handle on the entrance ramps this afternoon?

Much less lean. Doesn't feel like it's "plowing" as much in the turns. I drilled the bump stops this morning (only the front ones) as per Mr.P's write up. I will check the ride out later, but I can't imagine that it would be a huge improvement. Gotta get those Bilsteins soon!

Mr. P.

too late now, i took them right out. threw them away long ago. knock on wood, i havent bottomed out yet... i did order the addco sway bar for the rear and will be installing that soon as I get it. also goin to take out the bushings that come with it and do energy bushings with it.

too late now, i took them right out. threw them away long ago. knock on wood, i havent bottomed out yet... i did order the addco sway bar for the rear and will be installing that soon as I get it. also goin to take out the bushings that come with it and do energy bushings with it.

Your local Chevy dealer should be able to order you new bump stops :chevy:

Its supposed to sit on the bump stops. The torsion bars are not progressive, so to make the suspension progressive it uses the twist of the torwion bars and the squish of the bump stop.

Could someone verify if this is true or not? It doesn't seem logical to me that you'd get enough suspension travel if it is sitting on the bump stops. Or am I totally incorrect about the function of the bump stops?