low cost swaybar upgrade

jc04ss

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks Fireman31, I will be looking for new endlinks and bushings for the front.

For anyone else who wants some info on Belltech sway bars here it is.

made for 2003-2006 AWD silverado ss- quick reference # QR065502

front bars- are 1 1/4 inch thick-5406

rear bars- are 1 inch thick-5502

they are manafactured from cold formed solid steel w/ swedged end for best strength and reliability. The bushings are made from high grade hardware, polyurethane bushings that are powder coated to last long time.

www.belltechcorp.com

[email protected]

Sanger, CA (559)-875-0222

The front bar on The SSS is 1 1/4 inch. 1/8 inch larger than other Silverado trucks.

Not much to be gained by replacing with an aftermarket bar of the same diameter.

A lot of manufacturers seem to only recognize the 1 1/8 inch as the only size used on Silverados

To the guys who have done the mod, how much does it firm up the overall ride on rough roads? Don't want a jarring ride for the truck like I'm used to in the saleen.

Not a big difference in ride at all, but handling is improved greatly.....

• 5 months later...

My .02...

The bushing was easy on the drivers side...

The end links where a royal p.i.t.a.....until I used a 15mm socket (with a smaller nut inside of the socket) on the bottom end link nut from the bottom to compress the suspension enough to install the nuts from on top...and it worked well on both sides...

During sway bar bushing removal on the passenger side...

One bolt head broke off during removal of the sway bar bushing on the passengers side, even after i used penatrating oil...i ended up using my impact to chisel the spot welded nut off of the factory bracket...I went to the hardware store to purchase a nut and bolt and was done 15 minutes later...Thankfully the spot welded nut flew of with little 'air chisle' effort or it may have been a total nightmare trying to remove that bolt and tap it out for a new bolt...

I noticed a slight improvement in handling....

The real kicker came after I went to discount tire to show them the splits on my sidewall that I noticed during the installation of my end links and bushings...

It was much better after I replaced my 5 year old tires that literally had dryrot splits on the inside sidewalls of 2 of my tires...(tires that I normally go 70-80 mph on)...whew, better lucky than good!!!

I went with pirelli scorpion atr's when Discount Tire told me they where still coverd under their lifetime warranty (even after 4 years and 90k miles!!!)... Discount tire paid for two of them...awesome tire but my gas mileage went down 1-2...

Edited by cadillacbob (see edit history)

I picked up a set of the end links and sway bar bushings yesterday, only for the bushings I got part # 95165 instead of 95172. Form what I can tell the difference is in the amount of polyurethane around the sway bar. The 95165 has approximately .125" of material around the bar and the 95172 has approximately .5". Since more material means more deflection and they actually had the 95165 part in stock I tried those. So far these end-links and bushings have made a huge difference in handling. I'm pretty aggressive in the turns and my truck handles significantly better. I'm seriously considering a rear sway bar as my next purchase now that the front end handles so well. I was concerned about one thing. I drive over some expansion joints on the 118 freeway almost everyday. It shakes my truck so bad it feels like something is going to break one of these days. In fact its bad enough that I have tried every lane at different speeds to see if any lane or speed makes it any better. Well I hit them at 85 thinking this is going to be bad and I couldn't believe the difference. It was like I was driving a different truck. Good call on whomever suggested the bottle jack under the end-link bolt. It worked like a charm. It compresses the lowest bushing just enough to get the nut on.

• 1 month later...