low cost swaybar upgrade

jc04ss

I have an 04 SSS AWD and wanted to get rid of body lean and sway without having to spend big $$ for a complete front and rear swaybar kit. So.....I did some research into other options and found a Front Swaybar bushing and end link kit from Energy Suspension. The bushings are greaseable and they come in the color red or black (I got red, looks great)

Had them installed yesterday( kit was $70 and install was $65) took the shop about 45min. It was a HUGE difference! For the cost of this upgrade it was well worth it. No more "plowing" feeling going through corners, body lean was very minimal, and the ride is still great! :driving:

Just wanted to let anybody know that there is a low cost upgrade that will give you a best bang for your $$. Jim

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:cheers: Thanks for the welcome! I have the digital camera, but not experienced in the posting of pics yet. I first looked at them in a Performance Corner Specialty 2007 Parts and Accessories catalog. They are awesome! and made a huge difference. Jim

pics-stfu.gif J/K :jester: but seriously i would like to see somepics and welcome to the site if I hadnt said it already.

I was going to do the same too

part #'s please.

I had them ordered and installed at Les Schwab Tire Center. Here is the part number on the invoice...3.5209 Sway bar link/kit...make sure they tell energy suspension that our trucks (at least my year 2004) have 1 1/4inch sway bar, cause they sent the wrong bushings, the endlinks were fine, at first. I guess if a shop orders through Energy Suspension they make it after it is ordered. It only took around 5 business days for them to get in.

A couple of points:

The reason the wrong size came first is stock 4WD trucks have 1 1/8" bars, the SS and VHO came with 1 1/4" bars. An 1/8" may not seem like a big difference, but when comparing bars, the stiffness formula simplifies down to the bar diameter to the fourth power.

Regarding the energy suspensions components, they are greasable, but you need silicon grease. It is available in grease gun tubes, or you can hand pack using "Sil Glyde" from your local NAPA autoparts store.

A couple of points:

The reason the wrong size came first is stock 4WD trucks have 1 1/8" bars, the SS and VHO came with 1 1/4" bars. An 1/8" may not seem like a big difference, but when comparing bars, the stiffness formula simplifies down to the bar diameter to the fourth power.

Regarding the energy suspensions components, they are greasable, but you need silicon grease. It is available in grease gun tubes, or you can hand pack using "Sil Glyde" from your local NAPA autoparts store.

The swar bar bushings come with a grease zerk on them. They have a narrow channel on the inside of the bushings that allows you to keep them greased after they are installed. Pretty slick! jim

• 2 months later...

Hey guys! I am still trying to figure out the "posting of pics". I just got my Outlaw CAI installed and I would like to post pics.

The Energy Suspension swaybar bushing and endlink kit comes with the two endlinks and two greaseable swaybar bushings. The kit is awesome! It made a huge difference. :thumbs:

An example of performance is: There is this sweeping turn, on a two lane(each way) city street, that is on the way to work each day that you are supposed to slow down to 25mph going into it. It last about 25 yards. I used to have to slow down and brake some to keep the understeer under control. Now I can stay in the gas and take the turn at 40-45mph with very little if any understeer and reduced body lean. I have shocked the s#!$ out of some of the "ricer cars" that blow thru that corner :devil: and they look over to see the black SSS running with them. :lol: It was definately a best bang for the $$ for me. Overall daily driving is still the same great ride, only when your in the turns will you notice the difference.

I will try and see if I can get pics posted, but the kit is just the swaybar bushings (2) they come in red or black (i got red..looks great)and they come with a grease zerk on them and two endlinks with the bushings already installed (red or black bushings) you use your stock swaybar. It took the shop about 40-45 minutes to do the job. Huge difference!!

I will try and see if I can get pics posted, but the kit is just the swaybar bushings (2) they come in red or black (i got red..looks great)and they come with a grease zerk on them and two endlinks with the bushings already installed (red or black bushings) you use your stock swaybar. It took the shop about 40-45 minutes to do the job. Huge difference!!

Could this be a "do-it-yourself" job too? Did you see if the kit came with instructions? Thanks.