Volant 15953 Install

SuperDave

I got my Volant in the mail today, rushed home after work to install it. Layed out all the tools, popped the hood, opened the box and took inventory. Read the directions once through quickly. Then read them again while doing the install.

Getting the old box out was a piece of cake. The tube going from the box to the throttle body was a little tricky getting out, but I managed. I bolted the new box in per their instructions, installed the new gasket on the new tube then the fun started!

Getting the tube on the throttle body was easy, but I had one heck of a time with the silicone rubber sleeve connecting the tube to the box. I ended up pulling it all back apart, taking the bolts out of the new box in order to get the tube hooked up to the box.

They need to rewrite the directions involving this process. The large bulbous reserve canister on the tube was in the way big time. I had to raise the box up enough to wrestle the sleeve over the connection. There is no way I could do it the way they suggested. I almost wondered if I had the right part number.

Did anyone else experience this problem installing theirs? Be honest! I think Volant needs to re-engineer this fit!

I normally wouldn't make a big deal about something like this, but it turned a 45 min. job into a 2 hour job. And, if the truck goes back to ther dealer for anything, I know they will raise hell aobut the Volant box. If the MAF goes out they will go through a complete air box pull to get the sensor out. That's gotta be pricey at 75.00 dollars per hour shop labor rate!

Give me your stories, maybe they will fix it!

Feeling like the Volant was made of Kryptonite!

SuperDave

:shakehead:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys, don't let me scare you off! To install the Volant, you must remove the stock box. After disconnecting the air tube from the throttle body and prying the radiator hose carrier from the box you must simply pull the old box up. It is simply held in place by rubber grommets. The instructions tell you to bolt the new box in, but don't. I had to tip the box up while monkeying around with the air tube to get the sleeve to slip over the connection. The instructions don't say anything about this, trust me. Unless I am brain dead, you'll have to do the same.

You also remove the stock air box pan from the fenderwell. No biggy, just 4 or 5 bolts. (10mm). All of the stock components fit nicely into the stock volant box with a little creativity. I put mine in the attic for future use!

Back to the install,

After getting the air tube in and the connector tube (sleeve) on, make sure to use the new gasket in the kit on the throttle body, seat it securely, and tighten the clamp. Then bolt the box down with a swivel socket and long extension (10mm) Finally tighten the hose clamps on the sleeve and double check the connections.

The computer has to learn the new parameters of the increase in airflow, so don't make early judgements on the improvement!

Mine whistled a bit the first drive, but soon quit. Also has a cool 4bbl carb roar when you get on it! :cool:

:seeya: SuperDave how does it run with the Volant. Any difference you can appreciate?

I've only driven the truck 7 miles since the install. I know the computer has to acclimate to the newfound air supply, so I'm not passing judgment until it's made its peace with the upset!

I can tell you that there is more intake roar. It has the 4 bbl carb sound under full throttle. Kind of a performance sound. I like it, but some may not.

The Volant folks tout a 12 to 18 HP gain, plus better mileage. That's the reason I bought one. Plus they were on sale last week at TByrne. I'll do anything to improve mileage on the highway!

I have the SuperChips tuner, Volant box, now I need the headers and performance exhaust to finish out the upgrade. I really don't feel that the exhaust is going to net the gains they advertise, I don't feel like the stock exhaust is that restrictive. Just my opinion, though... no tests or proof to back up the statement.

The Volant will make me happy if I can get 16 mpg on the highway!

:thumbs::D

i've got a fix...get a k&n. :jester:  :jester:  :lol:

I felt the K & N FIPK was a generic kit, not model specific. I've never seen one on an SS, but the ones I have seen are an exposed cone type filter with a cheap air deflector behind them. I wanted a true cold air intake. The Volant is a sealed box with a cone filter inside and a ram air tube that connects to the bottom of the box feeding the intake cold air from the front bumper area. The only thing I fear about the Volant Ram Air tube is the possibility of it ingesting water when driving through deep puddles, something that I rarely encounter however, plus it would have to take a mighty big gulp to get it to intake level.

I'm happy witht the overall design of the Volant. Their engineers put some thought into it, it's obvious.

i've got a fix...get a k&n. :jester:  :jester:  :lol:

I felt the K & N FIPK was a generic kit, not model specific. I've never seen one on an SS, but the ones I have seen are an exposed cone type filter with a cheap air deflector behind them. I wanted a true cold air intake. The Volant is a sealed box with a cone filter inside and a ram air tube that connects to the bottom of the box feeding the intake cold air from the front bumper area. The only thing I fear about the Volant Ram Air tube is the possibility of it ingesting water when driving through deep puddles, something that I rarely encounter however, plus it would have to take a mighty big gulp to get it to intake level.

I'm happy witht the overall design of the Volant. Their engineers put some thought into it, it's obvious.

i've said it before and i'll say it again, i have had NO problems AT ALL (fit, performance, quality, etc...) with K&N and this my 3rd product from them. i even have one on order for the wife's vw. plus it looks better :P

I just finished installing the Volant on my 2002 Escalade AWD. Install was a bit of a pain in the rear. (Can we say "Ass" on this forum?) Instructions say to install Volant Box first. This is not good, need to save it for last. It seems the 3.5" hose adapter they include in the kit is about 1" too long. You are supposed to connect everything up from both ends and meet at the MAF sensor and the 3.5" hose. Absolutely no way to get it all to fit. Had to unbolt the air box, jam evrything togather, and then only managed to find 1 hole that lined up with the air box. So, ended up bolting it down with 1 bolt instead of the 4 they say to use. (Really only saw 3 that lined up originally). Have not had a chance to run out and test it yet. Should match up well with the Predator Programmer, I've been using.

Oh, I forgot to add a few comments on mileage. My Escalade has 60K miles and gets 16-18 MPG highway (depends on wind direction, important for a big brick on wheels). I usually see 13.5 mpg around town. Combined I get 14.5-15 mpg. Just had all differential fluids changed to GM synthetic. I run Mobil 1 5W30. Switched back to factory 17" wheels for the winter. I will keep close eye on the mpg now with the Voland and predator programmer. :cool:

My Volant install was exactly the same. They need to change the instructions! I had no trouble bolting all four of my bolts down after getting the flex coupler connected. I didn't tighten the hose clamps until after I bolted down the box though. Maybe you should try that Mike?

Hey A1CMAW,

Are you in OKC? I'm in Anadarko, 55 miles southwest of you. Do you ever get down this way?

SuperDave.

I have installed two Volant Systems on 03 SS. I also installed the velocity stack from tbyrne. Both where noticable differences. Gas mileage is up to 15 in town. The sound is great. The first one took about 1.5 hrs. The secnd one less than 1 hour.

When I did mine I found that if you connect everything together just before setting them in their final place it works better. What I mean is I connected the airbox, MAS, and intake tube together but didn't tighten the clamps then I lowered the airbox into place and finally connected the intake tube to the throttle body. It's def. a tight squeeze in a few places.

Archived