Tunes and Fuel Mileage

Hey Guys I've been debating on custom tunes vs. handheld tuners. I keep getting people's recommendations to get the the custom tune on my PCM but how is the fuel mileage with a custom tune vs. a handheld tune with a fuel saver programmer vs. stock? This will help me decide on tunes since the price of fuel is rocketing.

either one, you will see minor improvements. go with some things to get average engine load lowered. say like a cold air intake and a cat-back exhuast. with that combo you will not only see a nice little hp increase, but you will also see a noticable difference in fuel economy

HEy I already have a Volant Ram Air Intake, OBX long tube headers and true dual exhaust. Will I see a noticable gain in mileage with this? Also what would a 160F thermo do for me? all of these things combined is a 160F thermo going to make a differance? I'm in Iraq right now and was just wondering.

Last summer, I replaced my Superchips tune, for a custom tune, and picked up 1 mpg, on the freeway. At that time, I was making at 200 mile round trip, every Friday, and consistantly got 19.5 mpg. After the change, mileage increased to 20.5 mpg (not bad for a 6 liter)

• 4 weeks later...

I used to have a handheld tune with a GM fuel saver programmer on my GM... But it really does a little improvement on the mileage... Had modified my exhaust system and swap to custom tune... Not only that it had increased my car's mileage but it added an extra HP in it... Just make sure that everything that you are gonna do to do to your can be handle by its parts, as my mechanic advised... Also, don't forget to do your home work and ask for second opinion if your not sure in what you are doing... "DON'T ASSUME, YOU ASSURE"...

I gained about 2mpg and nice performance gains with a mail order tune...

I have a buddy working with a handheld and he can't get any gains from it yet...he doesnt know how to use it properly :yellow_loser:

with just the Volant I gained about 2mpg. when I get alittle more cash together, I'm going to add a tune and a better exhaust as well as a shift kit and hopefully a TC.

get home safe man!!! :flag:

I got 12.4 on my 188 mile trip to the tuner

I reset and did 14.6 on the way back with some time spent in triple digit speeds.

I am going to reset it again and see what it is during my normal driving.

This truck here has optional 10.0L to 16.0L engines:

www.kenworth.com/2100_vir_t2000.asp

The main thing these guys care about is fuel economy:

www.kenworth.com/brochures/FuelEfficiency.pdf

go with a custom tune.. if you are worried about fuel mileage why did you buy a 6.0l truck? :confused:
Edited by haulin79 (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
Hey Guys I've been debating on custom tunes vs. handheld tuners. I keep getting people's recommendations to get the the custom tune on my PCM but how is the fuel mileage with a custom tune vs. a handheld tune with a fuel saver programmer vs. stock? This will help me decide on tunes since the price of fuel is rocketing.

Got the PCMforless tune around Christmas. My mileage went from 16.4 to 16.7. I do 90% highway driving (70-90 mph) however