'04 SS Silverado KB or Magna Charger

ChargedSS

Judd over at Magnacharger swears that I will pick up 100-120 rear wheel horse power and the Kenne Bell Tech swears that I will have at least 480HP at the fly wheel. SO COONNFFUUUSSSEEED! My intention is to have this as a daily driver, I live in Southern California with the heat, I would love to run low 13's if possible. My thoughts are LS1 Edit on the computer, Super Charged and Headers/Exhaust. Any Thoughts?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If its a daily driver and you don't want the boost at cruz do not go with the kennybell but the radix is not a good choice as well lots of discharge heat!!Vortech or paxton would be a good choice  :thumbs:

why do you say, Do not go with the Kenne Bell? I understand the twin Screw puts down some pretty serious power even below 2000RPM with minimal boost and minimal heat, while the eaton roots needs intercooling for removing heat and tons of boost to even try to keep up?

Please explain.

thanks

The KB and the Radix may put out similar numbers on the dyno, but remember, the downside of not having an intercooler shows up when the weather gets hot. You can be sure the both manufactures do their dyno testing on cool days. There is no getting around the fact that hot weather will affect your power on a Forced Induction engine. That is a point in favor of Nitrous. I think the Radix intercooler helps to mitigate the heat problem, but it is still there, just as it is with the Whipple or the Kenne Bell. It just seems that as the temps go up, the Whipple and Kenne Bell suffer more. Ask BigTex about how his Whipple worked in the Texas heat. I live in SoCal too, and while the heat does take it’s toll on the performance, it does not get rid of it. My Radix is still fun to drive in the summer.

I am guessing that I am making between 470-510 Flywheel HP (based on ¼ mile times, and torque readings from the on board computer). And there is still more to be had by tweaking the computer.

I think it was Plwtwo who was doing that. Still hoping for pics...

I have considered the KB unit. An intercooler would require some fab work for sure.

Anybody ever consider using a refrigerated coil for an intercooler? :D You could mount an extra small A/C compressor opposite side from the SC and run a small heat exchanger in the front grill. Then the intercooler unit could be much smaller with a really cold coil in there... :cool: You could have a switch to turn the compressor off for when your just cruising around...

:jester:

OK, THE KENNE BELL is extremely streetable. I have had mine on for 800 miles and it works great in every condition. On the other hand the Radix will give you more power. I've rode in a HD truck with a Radix and wow, I should have bought one, too. That's not to say the KB is anything to laugh at, I ran a lightning with full exhaust last week, was ahead by a car length @ around 1/8th a mile. I'm changing my pully thursday to a 1/4" smaller.....should be good for close to 2 more lbs boost....@8lbs total. I'm still working on the intercooler idea. I've did the servos and torque converter. But honestly I still want more.....But the KB is really well behaved, on my buddies HD the radix isn't, but on a SS the AWD should cure that right guys? I'd like to get together with someone with a Radix on A SS and do some runs together, to compare. If price is the issue the KB is worth it, just order a smaller pully....

• 3 months later...

:cool: I just put an ATI procharger with 9lbs of boost in my 04 ss, customed tuned it and added new headers and got just about a 60% increase in power and torque to the rear tires. I still have a 100 shot kit to install, not sure if i want to run both a supercharger and NOS to the stock trans and numerous other stock seals and parts. on the dyno the last check put my hp at 530 to the rear tires(not sure what the rpms were off the top of my hear) THe only problem with the ATI PROCHARGER was we had to do some modifacations to get it to fit right on the engine.

The kit I got for the 4x4 fit just fine bolting onto the truck. I had to get a smaller pulley but I am now running the advertised 8-9 and it runs real strong. I just can't wait to see what it does at the track. Gotta get the stall though.

Very happy now.

Archived