When you purchase aftermarket engine performance parts, what do you ca

haulin79

When you purchase aftermarket engine performance parts, what do you care about improving the most?  

199 members have voted

1. 1. When you purchase aftermarket engine performance parts, what do you care about improving the most?

• Zero to 60 time
    • Quarter Mile time
    • Low to Mid RPM Torque
    • Mid to High RPM Horsepower
    • Miles Per Gallon
    • Other, please list.

I voted for "Other", since my goal is to make a more efficient motor and be more aerodynamic. With my setup I have lots more power and get better gas mileage; gained 3 mpg over stock with an overall average gas mileage (per the digital display) of 17.2.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted for "Other", since my goal is to make a more efficient motor and be more aerodynamic. With my setup I have lots more power and get better gas mileage; gained 3 mpg over stock with an overall average gas mileage (per the digital display) of 17.2.

After you say that, I think I want to change my answer to "reliable 500+ HP and maintain stock gas mileage or better". How about that? :driving:

• 3 weeks later...
mine is to go fast and look good while doing it.

chase i always thought yours was to beat a Lambo... who knew???

since mine is my daily driver, i need it to be reliable. i dont have an SS but i still have the same engine, trans, etc so i want people to think ima regular silvy then just smoke the shit outta them off the line, so i guess 0-60 for me.

• 3 weeks later...

personaly my main concern is the 1/4 mile time's :driving: but i also care about economy, and mid-upper range HP since i have 4:10 gears and 2wd traction is a big problem for me... last time i was at my crappy track i could'nt do better then a high 2.3xx 60ft time,

i ran 12 times and varied technique every time?.

and that was before my tune, and i still have'nt installed my headers (6months and there still on the shelf) hopefully i'll lose a little bottom end with the headers and removing the cats and gain some top end? :dunno:

• 1 month later...

:thumbs: that's a pretty significant accomplishment - would love to hear how you've gotten your mileage to that point. I also want to put lots of effort into aero improvements in the truck, I've collected lots of ideas there.

Mr. P. :)

:thumbs: that's a pretty significant accomplishment - would love to hear how you've gotten your mileage to that point. I also want to put lots of effort into aero improvements in the truck, I've collected lots of ideas there.

Mr. P. :)

This is my second Gen II truck, so I repeated what I did to my 1999 5.3 (I basically copied what Tom Byrne did to his 1999 5.3). Really nothing magic, just made it easier for the motor to breath. On my previous truck, JBA ceramic coated shorty headers (all that was available when I bought the parts) Airaid CAI, and Gibson cat-back exhaust gained a solid 2 mpg. I got about the same 2 mpg increase with the ceramic coated TOG mid length headers (CARB legal!), Airaid CAI, and the cat-back exhaust. To my surprise, installing a PCMforless tune added another 1 mpg, to my base line mods! At the time I was installing the mods, I was making an every Friday 200 mile round trip for work, so it was very easy to see any gains. With the headers, CAI and exhaust, I averaged 19.5 mpg, adding the tune bumped it to 20.5 mpg (mostly highway, up and down low hills, driving 65 mph, and a few slow downs). Being that my truck is 2WD and has 3.73 gears, I would expect to get a little better mileage than an SS.

As for keeping the overall mileage up, it is a matter of driving style. I try to watch traffic, and red lights, and coast whenever possible, instead of hard braking. Not to say that I never put the pedal to the metal, I do, but where it makes sense. I am a power junky, but I am need to keep my insurance rates down.

I have to say that I am truly impressed with the Gen II trucks, my FIL can't believe that his Ford F150 4.6 only gets 16 mpg on the highway and I can easily get over 20 mpg! I could have bought any vehicle, but I chose this truck. If anyone from GM is reading this, this is my fifth chevrolet truck and the best one yet - keep up the good work!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...