Starting to piece together my L92/L76 setup

what is a good price for L92 heads with stock springs??? I am looking at some locat but dont want to pay anything extra???? thanks

Why would you want the stock springs/etc? Get bare ones and assemble with better springs and valves for not much more money.

Assembled prices I haven't seen them any better than from Scoggin Dicky at $399.25 each. Bare are $175 each.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do that when you can get them from SLP with comp springs good for up to 650 lift, car intake, fuel injectors, fuel rails, throttle body, offset required rockers, for like $1,700 ready to go? Thats what I am doing. If you find them for even $200 bare, thats $400 + at least $400 for vales and springs installed, + $200-300 for an intake, + $200+ for throttle body, plus $300 for injectors, etc. it adds up and although some say its not, I still think its a good deal. All you need is the water pump fix, throttle body controller, idler pulley offset bracket, and gaskets...I hope to have this done by june.

Why do that when you can get them from SLP with comp springs good for up to 650 lift, car intake, fuel injectors, fuel rails, throttle body, offset required rockers, for like $1,700 ready to go? Thats what I am doing. If you find them for even $200 bare, thats $400 + at least $400 for vales and springs installed, + $200-300 for an intake, + $200+ for throttle body, plus $300 for injectors, etc. it adds up and although some say its not, I still think its a good deal. All you need is the water pump fix, throttle body controller, idler pulley offset bracket, and gaskets...I hope to have this done by june.

FYI, comp 918 springs are good to 600 lift, not 650.

The reason I don't buy them from SLP is because they do not offer them in a package that's right for me. I'll be using a carb style intake and all parts said and done will be right around 1500. Besides, I already have many of the parts needed for the conversion that I got MUCH cheaper than you are quoting. You have to pick your parts carefully, have a plan, and strike on EBay at the right time to get by cheaper.

The L76 intake complete with injectors and TB is $528, just FYI.

Edited by SS_bnoon_SS (see edit history)

Stepping over quarters to save nickels. I'd rather just order a complete package and be done with it. I dont have time to be researching and running around and hoping and praying to strike on ebay at teh right time. If I'm that strapped for cash, I shouldnt be doing the project. I dont want to just throw money to the wind, but penny pinching is rediculous as well. My time is worth the $200 premium. I would probably spend hours watching ebay auctions etc. I understand you dont want the SLP package because you are going with a carb style intake, the comment was more directed at detjoe. And I have to call the guy back at SLP because he told me the package was good to 650 lift. If they are only good to 600 lift, even running a 590 lift cam is pushing it.

Edit: I wasted ten minutes and searched ebaymotors. Just typed in L76 and L92 in two separate searches. Here is what I found. There were two L76 intake manifolds listed, one completely bare and the bids were at $177. The other was complete with injectors, tb, etc. for $699 buy it now. There were 3 sets of heads listed. One set brand new for $529 per head with stock 510 lift springs. One set with patriot gold vales/springs etc. for $995 buy it now (im sure reserve isnt much lower). And one set that is CNC'd folrm livernois motorsports for $1795 buy it now. So, even at 600 lift, the SLP package looks mighty attractive to me now. Even at $528+shipping for your quote I would love to know where to get it, see it, touch it, have it on my door step in a week at that price. L92 and L76 parts are seemingly rare.

Second edit: found this article...many might find it interesting and may have already been posted around here. Stock L92 heads assembled and intake should run around $1,500. Didnt mention what bare heads cost. Good article although slightly dated. Has part numbers as well.

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com/tech/...gine_l92_heads/

Edited by Black2003SS (see edit history)

Stepping over quarters to save nickels. I'd rather just order a complete package and be done with it. I dont have time to be researching and running around and hoping and praying to strike on ebay at teh right time. If I'm that strapped for cash, I shouldnt be doing the project. I dont want to just throw money to the wind, but penny pinching is rediculous as well. My time is worth the $200 premium. I would probably spend hours watching ebay auctions etc. I understand you dont want the SLP package because you are going with a carb style intake, the comment was more directed at detjoe. And I have to call the guy back at SLP because he told me the package was good to 650 lift. If they are only good to 600 lift, even running a 590 lift cam is pushing it.

Edit: I wasted ten minutes and searched ebaymotors. Just typed in L76 and L92 in two separate searches. Here is what I found. There were two L76 intake manifolds listed, one completely bare and the bids were at $177. The other was complete with injectors, tb, etc. for $699 buy it now. There were 3 sets of heads listed. One set brand new for $529 per head with stock 510 lift springs. One set with patriot gold vales/springs etc. for $995 buy it now (im sure reserve isnt much lower). And one set that is CNC'd folrm livernois motorsports for $1795 buy it now. So, even at 600 lift, the SLP package looks mighty attractive to me now. Even at $528+shipping for your quote I would love to know where to get it, see it, touch it, have it on my door step in a week at that price. L92 and L76 parts are seemingly rare.

Second edit: found this article...many might find it interesting and may have already been posted around here. Stock L92 heads assembled and intake should run around $1,500. Didnt mention what bare heads cost. Good article although slightly dated. Has part numbers as well.

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com/tech/...gine_l92_heads/

Intake, complete assembly, drive by wire. Part number 12590123 from Scoggin Dicky (similar prices from gmpartsdirect.com).

http://www.sdparts.com/product/12590123/In...riveByWire.aspx

Bare L76 intake from Scoggin Dicky. PN 12590124.

http://www.sdparts.com/product/12590124/In...reManifold.aspx

L92 head, modified for .650 lift from Scoggin Dicky. PN 2713B.

http://www.sdparts.com/product/SD2713B/L92...50quotlift.aspx

L92 head, modified for .600 lift from Scoggin Dicky. PN 2713A.

http://www.sdparts.com/product/SD2713A/L92...00quotlift.aspx

L92 head stock lift from Scoggin Dicky. PN 12582713.

http://www.sdparts.com/product/12582713/GM...linderHead.aspx

Just FYI, there is no "pushing it" when you run a cam within the advertised lift ability of the springs. You can safely run a .600 lift cam with .600 lift rated springs just fine. You can actually run over the rated lift, it just shortens the life of the spring. As for the 918 Comp springs, why not run the stock LS7 springs that are very compareable in stats for only 123.52 (PN 12578457)???

I search the internet as much as possible because I research everything to the best of my ability before purchasing it, not just to save money, but to make sure I know what I'm doing before jumping in. As far as time spent vs. money, I only wish I didn't have so much time on my hands the last month since first posting this thread. I could have had this project done with by now if I wouldn't have lost my job. :banghead:

Edited by SS_bnoon_SS (see edit history)

I heard about you rmisfortune. I'm telling you to send me your resume like I did in the move to vegas thread. We have people who can work from home for IT and telecom. I'd give you the website for careers available, but referrals go further. I cant make any promises though, of course you know that.

Good info from SD. They technically have SLP beat by $70 for the total package, so its a toss up really. $70 is $70.

I heard about you rmisfortune. I'm telling you to send me your resume like I did in the move to vegas thread. We have people who can work from home for IT and telecom. I'd give you the website for careers available, but referrals go further. I cant make any promises though, of course you know that.

Good info from SD. They technically have SLP beat by $70 for the total package, so its a toss up really. $70 is $70.

:thumbs: Sweet! I haven't gone back to the Vegas thread in a few days to see that, thanks! I'll send you a PM shortly.

• 8 months later...

I will bump this.

(16) L92 Valve Spring Retainer 10166344 2.27 needed/use my stock ones??

(16) LS1/L92 Valve Keeper 10166345 0.78 needed/use my stock ones

(8) L92 Exhaust Valve Rocker Arm 10214664 8.75 check

(16)L92 Rocker Arm Bolt 12560961 3.87 check

(8) L92 Intake Valve Rocker Arm 12569167 8.75 check

(2) Cylinder Head, Bare, GM L92 12582714 175 I read a LS3 head is the same with the better valves? needed

(1) Intake Manifold, L76 / L92 Car, Bare Manifold 12590124 228.95 truck intake check

(8) L92 Intake Valve 12590771 14.57 check

(16) L92 Rocker Arm Support 12600936 6.87 check

(16) GM Performance Parts LS7 Valve Spring 12578457 7.84 Waiting on the 'new' 918's

4 bolt throttle body

Dr X harness needed

Any body have a DrX box laying around:)

I wonder will the CNC heads from WCCH be over kill on a 6.0L?

I think to get the best of this swap a custom cam is going to be necessary??

Edited by detjoe
answered my own questions! (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
I will bump this.

Any body have a DrX box laying around:)

I wonder will the CNC heads from WCCH be over kill on a 6.0L?

I think to get the best of this swap a custom cam is going to be necessary??

Actually, my Dr X box is still laying around, but it will be used eventually. Stupid money tree keeps taking hits from non-fun related items. :banghead:

Just keep in mind that the "mild" cams are even making pretty damn good HP and TQ numbers. Heck, the GM Hot Cam made over 500 horse and had almost 400 TQ at 3000 RPM with a carbed intake in the rags a while back.

If I get bare heads will I need to machiene them any? or can I just put the valves/spring/retainers on??

I am waiting for DrX to get me some more info on version 1.0 vs 2.0

I dont need that key part to not be right.

yep mild cam, matched converter, hopefully tons of power under the curve and stock when I pop the hood.

If I get bare heads will I need to machiene them any? or can I just put the valves/spring/retainers on??

I am waiting for DrX to get me some more info on version 1.0 vs 2.0

I dont need that key part to not be right.

yep mild cam, matched converter, hopefully tons of power under the curve and stock when I pop the hood.

Bare heads are ready for valve installation when you get them in theory, just be sure to check them for flat deck surface and check clearances on installed height/etc. If everything checks out, no machining needded.

The DrX one I have works fine. If I remember right, his first version works just fine with the 90mm LS2 TB's, but 2.0 works with TBSS, or maybe that was version 2.1... I have version 1.5 that "should" work with TBSS 90mm that I have (the harness is one that he modified for me prior to version 2.0/etc). I just haven't tested it yet.

what about milling them I read the L92 truck as a 10.5:1 comp?

Depends on compression ratio and camshaft duration and open/close events (to calculate dynamic vs static). Myself, I'm going rather mild and don't need the added compression as that would kill my mileage. I also don't want to have to worry about valve clearance issues.