The new GMC Sierra Denali

The new Sierra denali is going to have the 6.2 liter engine and 403 hp 417 lb-ft torque. All wheel drive or 2 wheel drive... Since my truck was stolen and never recovered, I was looking into getting a new truck.....I just wanted to know what you quys thought about this new truck.......thanks

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The new Sierra denali is going to have the 6.2 liter engine and 403 hp 417 lb-ft torque. All wheel drive or 2 wheel drive... Since my truck was stolen and never recovered, I was looking into getting a new truck.....I just wanted to know what you quys thought about this new truck.......thanks

Sorry for your loss man!

Here is a road test I just read about the new 5.7 Tundra vs the 6.2 Sieraa Denali. The Denali comes with 3.33 gears that they were using and saw consistent 14.8 1/4 and 6.2 0-60s with 20" wheels. Which was slightly better than the Tundra with 4.10s and 18" wheels in the 1/4 by .2 seconds and a 2004 AWD SS by .3 in the 1/4. I think with the transmission (6L80E) in the Denali youd have a better building block then the current trannys in the SS.

http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/2007/gmc/s...test/page1.html

If I had the money and needed a new truck Id go the route of the Denali, then again you can find a used SS for about 1/2 the cost and approximately the same performance. Plus I still think the SS is the best looking truck you can buy.

I was under the impression that the Sierra Denali is only ~200-250# heavier than the SS. My SS specs said like 5300# (2003 AWD Victory Red). I was impressed given that this is a crew cab compared to my extended cab, I think the using the aluminum block definately helps.

I actually just ordered new SD 2 weeks ago, black on black.... can't wait! :cheers:

Really, I love my SS, but just ran out of warranty so I started looking around... Didn't even know about the Denali's, always thought they were just shinier. Dealer sold it to me for invoice and gave me a decent trade in so I'm gonna have the sweetest new truck and my payment goes from $525 to $500/mo, it was kind of a no brainer.

Besides, given the fact that my new SD will be MINE, means it's definately faster than yer VHO! :driving:

I was under the impression that the Sierra Denali is only ~200-250# heavier than the SS. My SS specs said like 5300# (2003 AWD Victory Red). I was impressed given that this is a crew cab compared to my extended cab, I think the using the aluminum block definately helps.

I actually just ordered new SD 2 weeks ago, black on black.... can't wait! :cheers:

Really, I love my SS, but just ran out of warranty so I started looking around... Didn't even know about the Denali's, always thought they were just shinier. Dealer sold it to me for invoice and gave me a decent trade in so I'm gonna have the sweetest new truck and my payment goes from $525 to $500/mo, it was kind of a no brainer.

Besides, given the fact that my new SD will be MINE, means it's definately faster than yer VHO! :driving:

So how much did you get the Sierra denali for???? And when are they supposed to come out???

nice pick w/ the sierra denali, really nice truck

The truck is out now. I have seen two black and one white one so far. Check it out on the GMC website. starts at $38 to $42K...Thats much lower than I thought it would be. I guessed around $52K for one. Nice to see a test on one. Even better to see it shut down that dam toyota.

I'm eligible for supplier discount, but can't combine it w/ my GM card earnings, so they told wrote it up for invoice which is $38k +. I ordered it AWD, no to the navigation, no dvd in the back, no sunroof, no elec rear window, no 20s. Just a sweet ass truck, I'm picking out my own 20s now...

Here is a review from PickupTruck.com...pretty interesting........I found my new truck

Road Test: 2007 GMC Sierra Denali, Part I

By: Mike Levine Posted: 04-02-07 07:11 PT

© 2007 PickupTruck.com

When it comes to special edition big pickups, the manufacturers giveth and they taketh away. Every few years sees the introduction of another unique limited-run hot rod or beauty queen, like the Chevrolet Silverado SS, Dodge Ram SRT-10, Ford F-150 SVT Lightning, or (cough) Lincoln Blackwood (cough). But sooner or later these hyped-up halo trucks jump the shark and disappear at the dispassionate clutches of bean counters, mercy killings, or both.

Whether by luck or good planning, GMC’s Sierra Denali has succeeded where these other trucks have failed by constantly reinventing itself before those who wear the green eyeshades could snuff it out. It was the first pickup to offer four-wheel steering (2002-2005) and the first full size to feature all-wheel-drive (2001), when it originally debuted as the Sierra C3. Only Ford’s Harley Davidson badged F-Series trucks have lived longer or changed more to survive.

The Sierra Denali is back for 2007. Like GM’s other half-ton and heavy duty haulers it’s all new from the ground up but we haven’t been able to get our mitts on it until now, just as it reaches dealer lots. The General has decided this launch will be a stealthy one, probably to keep demand up for this year’s trucks so buyers don’t postpone their purchase waiting for the Denali’s new powertrain advancements to trickle out to the other 1500 class GMT900 trucks next year and beyond. But this is one unique rig worthy of a special write-up because the Sierra Denali offers performance and luxury features that no other full size truck has today.

Let’s start with the Sierra Denali’s power and drivetrain. There’s been considerable gnashing of teeth from domestic pickup fans because Toyota’s remade 2007 Tundra was the first and only half-ton to offer a six-speed automatic gearbox and the most powerful gas engine in a standard duty pickup. The small block 5.7-liter iForce DOHC V8 engine in the Tundra is rated at 381 horsepower and 401 lb-feet of torque. But Tundra’s brief reign as power king is over, because the Sierra Denali checks the Tundra’s tranny with its 6L80E six-speed shifter and checkmates the iForce with GM’s mighty Corvette-inspired 6.2-liter L92 Vortec V8. The quasi big block pounds out 403 horsepower and 417 lb-feet of torque. The L92 and 6L80E are GMC exclusives this year but all GM light duty pickups will start to replace their four-speed 4L80E transmissions with the 6L80E in the 2008 model year, as build capacity increases. The Vortec meets other iForce powertrain advances head-on to also offer variable valve timing (another Sierra Denali first for a pickups with pushrod engines) for both the intake and exhaust valve timing. VVT helps bump up torque on the low end and horsepower on the high end. More on this later.

When it comes to the drivetrain, the Denali continues its original tradition of transferring power to the road through an all wheel drive setup, although two wheel drive is optional if you want to save a few a few thousand and incrementally improve fuel economy. But if you’re spending this much for a luxury sport touring pickup, you really need to go with AWD for the extra-grippy performance and all-weather safety it provides. The only other full size pickup to offer AWD is Ford’s Harley-Davidson F-150 but it’s engine is the standard 5.4-liter Triton V8, rated at 300 horsepower / 365 lb-feet of torque, that’s available across the entire F-150 lineup.

So how does the Sierra Denali perform? Like that most poetic of pugilists the refined and forceful L92 6L80E AWD combo floats like a butterfly and stings like a bee. On the drag strip the Sierra Denali consistently ran 14.8-second quarter mile times at 93.9 miles per hour during three runs at Old Bridge Township Park Raceway in New Jersey. 0 to 60 times were clocked at 6.3 seconds. The truck weighed in at a hefty 5706 pounds, unloaded except for the driver. Although the 6L80E offers operators a manual tap-shift capability for its six speed, I left it full auto for all the runs.

Now, let’s give these figures some perspective through a virtual drag contest against the Toyota. Edmunds.com timed a 2007 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4x4 with the 5.7-liter iForce with almost identical results. For both trucks the quarter mile and 0 to 60 times are the same, but the Sierra Denali finished .2 miles per hour faster than the 93.7-mph scored by the Tundra. Where it gets interesting is that the Denali is geared for better fuel economy targets while the Tundra is geared for better towing performance. The Denali’s final drive ratio is a stocky 3.42:1, to help push up its CAFE scores, but the 6L80E’s broad range compensates by using an extremely low 4.03 first gear and VVT to ensure quick starts off the line. The tested Tundra had a much lower 4.1 rear axle ratio, as it was optionally equipped with a trailering package to tow a hefty 10,400-lbs - 1,700-lbs more than the Denali - and it used a 3.33 first gear for launch. One final consideration, the Denali ran the track shod with 20-inch chromed dubs while the Edmunds Tundra used 18-inch wheels.

sdenali1.jpg

sdenali2.jpg

sdenali3.jpg

sdenali4.jpg

sdenali5.jpg

sdenali6.jpg