2009 Corvette ........................Diesel

O boy i hope it's quiet

Corvette to get diesel power for 2009

Chevrolet has announced that they will introduce a diesel-powered Corvette next spring as a 2009 model. The 2009 Chevrolet Corvette TDI will be powered by a specially-designed 5.7 liter V8 diesel with twin turbochargers. Output for the engine, developed in cooperation with Isuzu, is estimated at 350 horsepower and 675 lb-ft of torque.

"We feel that with its high fuel economy and strong low-end torque characteristics, the turbodiesel is the perfect engine for the Corvette," says a General Motors spokesperson. Early tests indicate that the Corvette TDI accelerates from 0 to 60 in just over 4 seconds and achieves real-world fuel economy of 25 to 30 MPG.

Chevrolet has hinted that if the Corvette TDI is a hit with buyers, they may consider phasing out gasoline-powered Corvettes altogether and making the turbodiesel engine the exclusive powerplant for the iconic American sports car.

The diesel Corvette will go on sale April 1st, 2008.

good thing they are releasing a hydrogen powered moped for fuel economy out the ass, so i can keep my 15 mpg truck.

i don't see people buying the corvette for big fuel economy. this just rubs me the wrong way. it's going to be wierd not hearing that deep exhaust lope i'm used to. looks like i'll be in the market for an 07 or 06.

on the other hand i wonder if you will be able to get another 100 horses and 150 ftlbs of torque from just a tune and maybe exaust though like you can with the diesel trucks?

The comments at the end of that article are about a 50/50 split between those that fell for it and those that called it an April Fool's joke. Just to be on the safe side, I went to the #1 rice burner website to see about the new Frozen Arctic Wasteland. Turns out they actually expect you to pay for one. Here I thought they were going to pay me to drive it. Needless to say the deal's off. I'm sticking with my LS. They could stick a Vega 4-banger in the Vette and I still couldn't go rice.